Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #1
bigrobkc

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Radiator fan and hot AC Air? Any ideas???

So I've recently run into an issue with my radiator fan not turning off. It starts immediately when the accident is turned on and will not shut off even if I turn the AC Off. This happens whether the car is outside or parked in a cold garage. It will only turn off after the key is removed and door is opened. Additionally before that issue I was hearing a clicking noise come from behind the radio area even after turning off the car. Not sure if it was related. Then to make matters worse my AC started cycling from cold to hot to straight hot air now! I took the car into the dealership, they could not find any issue after the diagnostic check but did confirm the fan staying on. I have a retrofit mylink installed and they stated it could be because of that and suggested I reinstall the factory headunit. But, it worked fine before?? Why would that be it? I opted to research and get back to them on how to proceed. Temperatures are starting to get I to the 100's on a daily basis and I'm dreading not having cold air! Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I've tried unhooking the battery to reset everything with no luck. I'll be checking the fan relay tonight. Could it be a new compressor that I need?
bigrobkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
bigrobkc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrobkc View Post
So I've recently run into an issue with my radiator fan not turning off. It starts immediately when the accident is turned on and will not shut off even if I turn the AC Off. This happens whether the car is outside or parked in a cold garage. It will only turn off after the key is removed and door is opened. Additionally before that issue I was hearing a clicking noise come from behind the radio area even after turning off the car. Not sure if it was related. Then to make matters worse my AC started cycling from cold to hot to straight hot air now! I took the car into the dealership, they could not find any issue after the diagnostic check but did confirm the fan staying on. I have a retrofit mylink installed and they stated it could be because of that and suggested I reinstall the factory headunit. But, it worked fine before?? Why would that be it? I opted to research and get back to them on how to proceed. Temperatures are starting to get I to the 100's on a daily basis and I'm dreading not having cold air! Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I've tried unhooking the battery to reset everything with no luck. I'll be checking the fan relay tonight. Could it be a new compressor that I need?

"AC" - typo not "accident". Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Is your compressor turning on? Do you have refrigerant pressure? The A/C compressor works on an electric clutch and you should be able to hear it engage. Or see it if you have someone watch while you turn the A/C on. You can check refrigerant pressure with a gauge from an autoparts store. Those are the first things I would check. When you switch to MAX A/C (recirculate) does it actually change the intake to the cabin?

Disclaimer: I haven't actually looked at my Camaro A/C system yet. Just going off how most work.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Also double check your coolant level. Also make sure that when your car is warm, that warm air is coming out from the fans.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
bigrobkc

So my neighbor had a gauge to check the refrigerant pressure. That looked good. My car had also been sitting in the garage so cold air was blowing. I thought I was losing my mind so went for a drive to test it and it cycled to like warm air even on the coldest setting. My compressor seems to be coming on and the coolant line is very cold to the touch. Going to check the coolant level and warm air coming from fans next...

Old 07-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #6
bigrobkc

Stupid auto correct lol... Luke warm not like warm