Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-07-2022, 10:22 PM   #85
LS3SSSuperSport

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Thanks for your kind words! I'm glad to hear you find them helpful : )
It's 2022, the LS3 camaro is a beast, if you sold your Camaro that was questionable decision.

Ok to comment on this thread.
Not once did some say I run a 160themostat and change my fans to come on earlier. I have a file for normal driving, drag racing and track days. It's pretty simple to ramp the fans in crazy fast and keep the temps below 200 for water temp. $400 for hp turners, yet everyone here spends hundreds of dollars on performance mods but yet doesn't understand how "cooling systems" work.

Oil cooler, buy one with out a thermostat, just buy a regular one from eBay or Amazon with 10+ rows. Then order a 6inch fan, (NOT ONCE DID ANY SO CALLED EXPERTS SUGGEST A FAN AS WELL to keep oil temps down), then yes run an external guage to keep track of oil temps, either use the 1/8 tap or the adapter or run a sensor in the oil cooler rows, I do this because the headers will heat the oil adapter. Then buy a hayden automatic fan controller(rock auto) and put the prob into the row fins, then set the controller to turn on at 180 or sooner when on track days, this will garuntee keep oil temps down!!!

My oil lines have three layers of protection.
3/4 Plastic loom protector for each line
DEI individual heat wrap for each line
Then wrapped with fiberglass wrap.
My headers are thermal coated and wrapped.

I have three track days, so I will provide an update. Then fan should prevent any out of control oil temps. I will show a picture of my oil cool with the fan tomorrow.
Attached Images

LS3SSSuperSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:43 PM   #86
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Don't worry about the oil temp sensor being heat soaked; since there's so much oil flow by the sensor, the sensor would not be impacted by the headers.

I've experimented with fans on my Miata and Corvette. Looks like it doesn't help much for track use, since wind flow seems to be even greater, but I'm sure it would help at the drag strip since most of the time you're just 'waiting' in drag traffic? But then, oil temp is not an issue for drag strip use anyway...

In the same manner, once fully opened, the thermostat doesn't make much of a difference for track use unless you can keep the temps way down even for road course duty, which would require massive cooling. If you hit 210s either way, then no difference. In other words, in order for the lower temp thermostat to help for road course use, you need much more cooling as well. For drag, it would definitely help I presume...

In short, depending on your use case(s), some would make sense, some wouldn't. After all my experience with Camaro and Miata oil cooling, I've decided to not touch oil system on C7 Z51 and Z06, and focused on making sure I have ample cooling for coolant instead. The OEM oil cooler is excellent, and once you make sure coolant doesn't go above ~220 degrees F, everything stays in good temps : )

Z06 track build:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-thread.html

Z51 track build:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ack-build.html
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote