Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Storm T
Can't slow down

Drives: 2013 SS Dusk Edition (Insain Bolt)
Cleaning wheels

So I've got most things from Adam's but no wheel cleaner. I'm really in the mood to get them sparkling today while I'm off.

I don't want to screw up my wheels. They're the 21" dusk edition wheels. Aluminum bright painted silver is what I'm seeing doing a search. I was looking at just heading up and getting some Meguires all wheel cleaner for today. Does anyone know for sure if it'll damage the wheels?
Storm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Storm T
Can't slow down

Drives: 2013 SS Dusk Edition (Insain Bolt)
Never mind. Figured it out. They have never looked so good. Just ordered the tool cleaning kit from Adam's. Will be much easier now. That sucked!
Storm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
vegassam66

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS / RS
I was thinking of ordering the same tire cleaning kit from adams, let me know how it works for you.
vegassam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegassam66 View Post
I was thinking of ordering the same tire cleaning kit from adams, let me know how it works for you.
If you want I'm in Vegas and have a few rim cleaning products you can try out, Poorboy's Spray and Rinse Wolf's Clean and Coat.

Picture:
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Elbow grease....works everytime
hunter1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
When it comes to wheels most would say a proper wash regimen would simply consist of cleaning with soap and water. If you happen to have a set of wheels combined with high dust brake pads such as mine soap and water won't cut it.

What I do every week.

1. Cold rims and breaks only never on a recently driven car.

Get a separate bucket and put a small wash mitt in the bottom with an ounce of car soap. Fill bucket half way with water. Then add wheel woollies and a lug brush and a soft brush for the face of the wheels to clean wash media. I use the Adams bolder blond brush and lug nut brush their are other options but I haven't tried them.

2. My rims dust like a mo fo. I drive my car hard and after a good blast down the road they have an obvious film on the surface. If I drive the car two or three times in a week( a lot for me) they are trashed and look grey from the dust.

I use Adams deep wheel cleaner and I dilute it 1:1 with distilled water. I use the Adams foaming bottle and spray it on a dry dirty wheel. I buy this stuff by the gallon and tend to use it liberally. With excessively dirty rims like mine you can see it working instantly. Spray/foam the rim face, barrels , and lug nut recesses and watch it work.

When it begins to turn purple, I grab my lug nut brush and agitate all the nooks and crannies. Don't be afraid to spread the product around and literally paint the surface with the activated cleaner. Let this sit on your wheels for a few while you go address the barrels.

3. Wheel woollies are removed soaking wet with soap and used to clean the barrels. I don't add additional product to them. I find the large and medium woollies work around the barrel well and behind the caliper.

4. Grab your wash mitt and attack the rim behind the spokes and every where you can reach. As you clean the face and behind the spokes you will notice that the purple activated cleaner will be released from the surface. I do this until the mitt needs a good rinse then submerge it again and repeat.

5. I grab my bolder blond brush from my wash media and give it a liberal shot of Adams green wheel cleaner. Then I agitate the face of the rim and lug holes releasing the rest of the deep wheel cleaner. This step, to most seems like a waste of product and over kill but I have omitted it and then regretted......... So to me it gives the wheels a final once over prior to rinse.

6. Rinse the wheel well. Get the nozzle in the barrel and make sure all the product is gone.

7. Inspect and with your soapy lug brush do any OCDetailing if you missed a spot.

8. Rinse well.

I haven't found a sealant or wax yet that reduces break dust adhesion. I have tried several. I will eventually remove the wheels and get them perfect then opticote them as this seems to work with other members who have my wheel and brake set up.

Feel free to add to this or make product recommendations as I am always looking to improve my technique and seek product alternatives.

Good luck.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
Wow that wheel looks good. And awesome writeup. But that seems like a lot of product? Is it?
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #8
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobulls View Post
Wow that wheel looks good. And awesome writeup. But that seems like a lot of product? Is it?
I'm sure I use more than I should. I dilute the deep wheel cleaner and find no loss of cleaning power( thanks to Camarodreams 7 ) so in reality I think no.

My Z eats brakes and dusts big time I have tried just soap and water and can't tell you how much time was spent cleaning wheels so I use this method and the results are fantastic.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
Nice!

Everyone's got their own style if you don't mind spending the extra money which I'm guessing you don't
( you have a beautiful zl1 BTW) that is a perfect method.

I'm only 20 so money is tight and I can't buy Adams products as much as id like because of this. So I use megs wheel cleaner heavily heavily diluted. Haha. But only on very dirty wheels.

And I bet that brake dust from those big brakes must be
Heartbreaking. Haha.
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote