Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 12-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
atvsmurf

Drives: 2002 Red convertible SS SLP
Sell or fix???

I bought a 2002 convertible ss with the slp and 35th ann package from a friend that moved and couldn't take it with her... She tweaked it up a bit when she lost it while racing... It has 25000 miles and was in awesome shape... lol.
She landed hard on the drivers front corner and the frame is tweaked(7 hr time on frame machine was the estimate from a local dealer that actually does really good work)..then went thru a fence... The car needs the front plastic, hood corners repaired(chain link fence tubed the corners off) door edges repaired from the tweak, windshield, headlights, mounting plastic for the lights, both bags and the steering wheel, dash cap/cover for the bag and wheel well liners... And a re spray from the fence scuffs... I can pick up most parts actually in red from a local junk yard... So I can put the car back on the road for around $2k... Not counting a re spray and decal kit.... I am just limited on time and plan on putting it up for sale... If I make a little $ then great, if it doesn't sell, then I will work on it here and there as time allows... My son just turned 5, so I have 11 years to get it on the road, lol...wonder how much it would bring selling... The car runs and drives, a little crooked but everything functions, and the top is still in great shape... So what would it bring If I sold it? Or parted it? Engine-tranny(auto)with computer? Rear end with 3:73 gear? Leather seats no tears, slight mildew on the gray inserts? Wheels? I will likely be placing it in the classified section when the title comes.. atvsmurf at gmail dot com is my email. Thanks John
Attached Images

atvsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
Repaired it would be worth around $8-$9K (25K miles!) if not salvage title.
Verts are worth less cuz they are a pain and expensive to fix.
Folks like the T-tops more.

You could easily spend $5K fixing that thing and the way 4th gens are made you won't know if the K-member is bent until after the frame is straight and you try to have it aligned....from the damage I would say the LH A-Arms are tweeked and the K member that they bolt to.

You could part it out for $4-5K easy (SS hoods are $700, the rear wings are $400, 25K mile LS1 $1500, T56 $1000)......and go buy a straight T-Top SS to start off with......less hassle and unknowns.....

People are giving the 4th gens away right now.....So I would expect very limited upside on the rebuild.

The last 2 4th gens (Z/28 and SS) I bought were $2500 and $3000 and both straight cars that ran fine. They are fun cars to drive and the LS drive train is strong and very upgradeable.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
As much as I would love to see it fixed up, it really isn't worth it. U would probably put the same amount in it as u would get out of it. Definitely do a part out. Wheels are worth atleast 500, hood 700, wing 300, T56 1000, LS1 1000, interior probably 800 or so. U could bring probably 5000 or so out of a part out.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
insidethreat07

Drives: 2001 Camaro 3.8
Id take the rims if they are the 35th LE rims lol
If the frame wasn't messed up I'd redo it in a heart beat since they are limited production. Probably have more time and money into it then its worth. If it would have a salvage title after fixing it up good luck getting anything for it.

No way I'd street race such I nice car like that
Old 12-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
atvsmurf

The title is good, she had no insurance... It was the first real car she ever bought...Ouch! It runs and drives, the frame has just a little "sag" to it... Thanks for the info guys!!! I will sit on it a few weeks deciding what to do with it... Put it on cl and a few sites before I tear it down or tear into it... If I start parting, or start buying used parts...what are some good forums to post on? Thanks!!!
Old 12-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Here, Ls1tech is very good.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #7
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
You could probably get closer to $2K for the engine cuz you its intake to oil pan with accesories .....and that stuff adds up.....
Maybe $3500 for Engine and trans complete......cuz low miles

Just depends what you want to do.....

The value in 4th gens now is repowered with LS3s, LS2s or 6.1-LQ9s with LS3 top ends(or other big heads)...all easily capable of making 500rwhp.

Cuz with that power and weight from the plastic panels you have a very fun inexpensive car.....and people just love the T-Tops!

If you can repair that car with paint for $6K including what you paid for it....I'd say that's worth it.....but if you've never done one before its easy to go over budget. And on cars its easy to spend money, but difficult to get it back.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
atvsmurf

I did paint and body and have done full resto jobs before as well as a few rebuilds... Yeah budgets are so easy to get off , but luckily the parts and frame pull will be my only expenses, the biggest will be the sticker kit... Ouch!!!... Lol. I have actually found GM plastic in red at a local junkyard...