Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 06-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #15
ajmcquar

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Damn, this is good to know, seeing as I'll be moving sometime this year, and will need a trailer.
ajmcquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #16
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Always wondered. My 4th gen with 315s on the rear would fit, but just barely.
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #17
rti35

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06
That's really strange. I imagine the Camaro is wider but I trailed my C7Z06 with a U-Haul trailer with no problems at all except having to throw plywood into some strategic areas to avoid hitting the front splitter. That car has a 285 front/335 rear width tire setup.
rti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #18
Hawk Fan

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Camaro
probably a dumb question but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post

So.. I'll be missing at least one session tomorrow at Laguna while I'm getting a spare tire put on at a shop first thing in the morning. So glad I had that spare.

So yeah, no Uhauls.
Could you just drive it to the track? Is that not an option? Not trying to be a smart ass, I just wondered if there was a reason? Tire wear? I wanted to know because I would like to track mine, but I didn't realize I had to trailer it to the track.

Edited to add:
I went to the Uhaul site and entered a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport, which has got to be wider than our cars. It accepted that as well.

Last edited by Hawk Fan; 06-09-2017 at 08:39 PM. Reason: went to uhaul site.
Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:07 PM   #19
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rti35 View Post
That's really strange. I imagine the Camaro is wider but I trailed my C7Z06 with a U-Haul trailer with no problems at all except having to throw plywood into some strategic areas to avoid hitting the front splitter. That car has a 285 front/335 rear width tire setup.
You probably had the silver trailer like I did when I trailered mine when I moved. The OP had the orange/red trailer which apparently is narrower. I have 315's on the rear of my 5th Gen and still had plenty of room. U-Haul should be held liable for it since they claimed the car would fit but I doubt they will pay for the damages.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:25 PM   #20
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I would assume there is language in their rental agreement that indemnifies them from damage caused when you load the vehicle on the trailer, even though they said the trailer should work.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #21
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Fan View Post
Could you just drive it to the track? Is that not an option? Not trying to be a smart ass, I just wondered if there was a reason? Tire wear? I wanted to know because I would like to track mine, but I didn't realize I had to trailer it to the track.

Edited to add:
I went to the Uhaul site and entered a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport, which has got to be wider than our cars. It accepted that as well.
I did drive it. The only time you "have to" trailer your car is if it's not street legal. Mine is stock so perfectly street worthy. I do like trailering my cars for a few reasons if I'm more than like an hour or so away (I was going 2.5hrs):

1) I can ride with my family
2) I can ride in more comfort
3) I can have more room for storage if needed
4) I can get my car home without scrambling to get towed or have my wife rent a trailer and come get me if any number of things go wrong with the car

It may be excessive but it's not a lot of money for some nice convenience .. until you destroy all 4 wheels and a tire trying to make it happen ...

I was pretty mad when I showed up today at laguna seca and I saw a GTR with big fat NT01 up in an orange UHaul trailer, lol. That car LOOKS much wider than ours, but apparently not!
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #22
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
You had a spare on a 1LE? Huh? Lol
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #23
Hawk Fan

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Camaro
Quote:
I did drive it. The only time you "have to" trailer your car is if it's not street legal. Mine is stock so perfectly street worthy. I do like trailering my cars for a few reasons if I'm more than like an hour or so away (I was going 2.5hrs):

1) I can ride with my family
2) I can ride in more comfort
3) I can have more room for storage if needed
4) I can get my car home without scrambling to get towed or have my wife rent a trailer and come get me if any number of things go wrong with the car

It may be excessive but it's not a lot of money for some nice convenience .. until you destroy all 4 wheels and a tire trying to make it happen ...

I was pretty mad when I showed up today at laguna seca and I saw a GTR with big fat NT01 up in an orange UHaul trailer, lol. That car LOOKS much wider than ours, but apparently not!
That makes sense and sorry about your rims. Thanks for the info, I'll be extra careful if I ever decide to trailer my car based on your experience.
Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #24
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
I'll be trailering mine down to VIR soon, so this caught my eye. I measured my ZL1 to be about 76.5 inches wide tire face to tire face (in the rear). So i went to my local U-Haul and measured the width of their trailers. The red one was 75" wide from that little rail to the little rail on the other side. So no go there. But like 14Black1LESS says the silver trailer was about 79" wide from edge to edge (which were tapered ramps not a straight rail). So I think I'm ok with U-haul. Just need to make sure I get that silver/newer trailer.
6000 - 04/05/2017 - Delivered!
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #25
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
U haul has two types of car trailers, the orange colored ones are the standard ones and the silver ones are the "late" model trailers that have a wider width for modern cars. The silver one probably would have been wide enough.
+1. I loaded up Corvettes onto the (aluminum) silver U-Haul trailer with no issues.

Sorry for your loss!
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #26
Richie Carbone

Drives: My work van for now
Quote:
I tend to agree with you. However, they did tell me it would fit on THIS trailer and it does not so I think there is some liability. If a patient is prescribed the wrong medicine and they take it, it's the prescribing provider's fault ultimately... I'm going to see what the manager says but I certainly won't be going to small claims court to resolve it. I just plan on being honest and seeing what they say. Even if I don't get all the wheels repaired, maybe I can get some $ towards the tire. Worth a shot but I'm not holding my breath. Mostly just wanted to let others know to avoid this trailer.
Ultimately the liability falls on you, you loaded the car without measuring the width of the trailer or the car.

The phrase trust but verify would have come in very handy in this situation. Ronald Reagan was a smart man.
Richie Carbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:42 PM   #27
evanescent03

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphfireSS View Post
You had a spare on a 1LE? Huh? Lol
yeah I had a spare tire that I was able to exchange for the tire with the slashed sidewall. the spare tire happened to be the appropriate OEM replacement option!
Old 06-23-2017, 10:43 PM   #28
evanescent03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Carbone View Post
Ultimately the liability falls on you, you loaded the car without measuring the width of the trailer or the car.

The phrase trust but verify would have come in very handy in this situation. Ronald Reagan was a smart man.
yeah, we'll see buddy. thanks for this insight!