Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
Zackety93

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 6-speed manual
Stainless Works Exhaust Rattle???

I've had my Stainless Works Retro Chambered catback on for a little less than a year. I've had a few rattles here and there, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a minor adjustment and tightening things up. So I got on it pretty hard today. It felt good out, decided to open her up It sounded fantastic... UNTIL I pulled down to a stop and then idle... I guess the heat from jumping on the throttle hard makes the metal shift/expand. But it sounds awful I hate giving it a little gas around anyone because when I go to stop, it rattles like crazy.

The sound was originally coming from the driver side. We located it: the piping was banging against the differential. We loosened the hangers, readjusted the pipe and tightened it back up. Its all good there.

NOW its coming from the passenger side. We've looked up underneath, it has plenty of clearance next to the differential. Many have said "check the tunnel brace" but it seems to have almost an inch of clearance there as well? I plan to take the tunnel brace off and see if that fixes it, but the sound seems to be coming from farther back on the vehicle.

Below is a video of the noise.. I couldn't get it to rattle too hard because I didn't have enough road to jump on the throttle hard, but the rattle can still be heard.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Zackety93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
I've only had mine few a couple weeks, no rattles yet here. Was also installed by SW.

I'll have to watch the video when I get home.

Sent from somewhere on the road.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Zackety93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine View Post
I've only had mine few a couple weeks, no rattles yet here. Was also installed by SW.

I'll have to watch the video when I get home.

Sent from somewhere on the road.
I appreciate any input. I think I'm gonna get back up under there today and try to adjust it again. I'll probably remove the tunnel brace as well just to see if that fixes it.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
I also got a rattle. I believe it is the tunnel brace.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Try some washers between the tunnel brace and the car .
Old 05-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
It's either the tunnel brace or the heat shield. I fought rattles with my SW system until I bought an aftermarket Tunnel Brace that has a 1/2 drop in it.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
GONIF

http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/media/...nnelbrace3.jpg
Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
Zackety93

I'm taking the tunnel brace off tomorrow. A few other people suggested it could be a heat shield? Guess I'll have to just keep getting the rattles out one at a time :/
Old 05-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Hotchkis max chassis brace system. With two washers pulling it down. I can still hear it rubbing. Gonna try and bring it down some more.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #10
vegassam66

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS / RS
I have the same system, I changed out the tunnel brace and have never had any more rattles.
vegassam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
Melba Toast

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Same issue here, within a week of owning the system. Turned out it was the tunnel brace too. No more rattle and squeak since. However I'm having similar issue idle and at WOT, when I open I her up she sounds awesome until I hit about 3-4K rpm and then acts kinda funny.. Dunno if it's the exhaust or the tranny. But did not have the "rev" issue prior to installing the exhaust.
Melba Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #12
hush

Drives: 2013 Camaro SSRS L99
Send a message via Skype™ to hush
I had 2 issues at first which took about 2 weeks of tinkering to get right. (about 3 occasions up on the lift) the main problem was that i initially installed it with to little uplift in the middle of the system.
So i loosened all the clamps (both back and front) and had a mate push up in the middle as far as it would go and whilst the system was pushed up i tightend all the clamps, both front and back. We used a jack to maneuver the pipes. This fixed the "clonking" sound. Problem was X-pipe was hitting the X brace underneath.

The second problem was that the clamps have a flange where the two bolts and nuts sit. That flange was hitting the heatshield just above the X-brace at a 90 degree angle. I moved it down and then it hit the X-brace itself. The fix was to align it roughly at an 45 degree angle. (above where the X-pipe connects to the backpipes)

Hope it helps

Edit: Oh, i just watched your video. I put my clamps right at the end of the overlapping pipe. Cus i had issues with alignment and that the system was loose when i put it further away from the edge. I figured that the cutouts in the pipe would allow the pipe to squeeze together ontop the other pipe. Maybe you should try that.
hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #13
Zackety93

Thanks for everyones help and advice. It ended up just being a flange on the clamp nearest the right exhaust tip! It was vibrating against a weld near the rear bumper. Readjusted it, tightened it back up, and no noise since!
Old 05-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
GONIF

GLAD YOU GOT IT SORTED OUT ,now you have the best sounding cat back made for the Camaro. I hope your neighbors enjoy the sound too.