Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 10-07-2021, 10:30 AM   #1
nicserrentino

Drives: 18 camaro zl1
Unhappy ZL1 low compression

Okay so I’m running into a weird issue with my 18 zl1. Let me first start by saying I had a failed oil pump that was replaced by Chevrolet in the beginning of the year. Also, my car is stock minus rotofab intake.

Okay so my issue: my car made 476/525 on the dyno
I was concerned because after looking online everyone else makes around 530+ as a baseline. The tuner said he thinks it’s just the dyno not being properly calibrated and that the car felt just as powerful as any other ZL1 he’s driven. So that was a bit of reassurance.

Fast forward a few days, they’ve gotten all these parts installed (cam, LTs, exhaust, upper/lower pulley, flex fuel) and the car has been street tuned. Tuner calls me and says the car felt low on power compared to other cars with similar builds so he did a compression test and noticed cylinder #7 was down about 50 psi compared to the others.
They pulled the heads and checked over everything with a scope, made some adjustments and came to the conclusion that lifters were the main culprit for this.
They got in touch with Texas speed, and they’re sending the morels lifters rather than the ls7 lifters.
In my head, even upgrading the lifters, the question still remains: why did it make such low numbers on a stock setup? And that hasn’t been answered yet.
Hoping to get any sort of input from you guys relating to this.
Also, they checked #7 piston from the under side of the motor and noticed no play so they don’t think it’s rings or ring land.
nicserrentino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine failure, lifter, lifter failure, low compression, zl1