Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #15
William.23

Drives: 2011 Summit White.
Haha, I like the name :P

Thanks for taking the time on chiming in.

*******UPDATE******* So, I burped it how was mentioned in previous posts (Uncapped and started Engine, let it run for a bit till temps pull up, it burped some air out and spilled some coolant [I did this Solo, so I realized it when I had the throttle at 1500 at around 8-10 minutes.]

It's working perfect temps are staying at 190's *Typically under 200 if I'm not Hard acceling everywhere; then it'll be around 205-210.

Also when Idling it seems to heat up and go to about 210-225 (and at 225 the fans are coming on and throwing the temp back down to 210-216 and starts up to 225 again and repeats back down to 210-216)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
the most common issue is improper burping. i dont/didnt know how to do it properly myself so i took my car to the dealer and had them do it when i requested the thermostat, ect sensonr, and coolant flush at 70K miles. (its at 75K right now)
You had the Thermostat, ect sensor changed out? Or just flushed it all out including the coolant?
Also, If the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor is bad, it will do all kinds of crazy shit. (Ask me how i know. I just had it replaced at 70K miles )

My experience with the bad ect sensor:

Car "took forever for to warmup" Id let the car idle on a cold start for up to 10 minutes and it was barely at 170. I live in los angeles. The most severe cold starts here are in 50 degree weather. So obviously something was not right. Even though the engine is already at operating temperature, a bad ECT sensor will sometimes send an inaccurate reading to confuse the ECU into thinking the engine has not yet reached (or prematurely reached) operating temp and will cause all kinds of shit to go nuts. Fan's coming on at odd times, temperature gauge reading incorrectly, pinging (ECU adjusts timing depending on readings from ECT and HO2 sensors. If ECT is sending a signal that is not expected when comparing the signal from the HO2, timing/spark and fuel delivery will not be what it needs to be) Lastly, a bad ETC will eventually start to kill your HO2 sensors if left uncorrected for an extended period of time
IT was improper burping and also reason the temp took forever to go up that day was that it was around 46-52 degrees F.

I replaced bank 1 sensor 1 because of a CEL in november.

you may want to add that (ECT sensor) to your list of things to check. Its a $15 fix
Do you have a link or recommend where I can get one?

you can also use (if you have one) an ir temperature sensor and point it to the coolant temperature sensor and see what the temp it there.
Where would I get this one?
William.23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #16
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by William.23 View Post
Haha, I like the name :P

Thanks for taking the time on chiming in.

*******UPDATE******* So, I burped it how was mentioned in previous posts (Uncapped and started Engine, let it run for a bit till temps pull up, it burped some air out and spilled some coolant [I did this Solo, so I realized it when I had the throttle at 1500 at around 8-10 minutes.]

It's working perfect temps are staying at 190's *Typically under 200 if I'm not Hard acceling everywhere; then it'll be around 205-210.

Also when Idling it seems to heat up and go to about 210-225 (and at 225 the fans are coming on and throwing the temp back down to 210-216 and starts up to 225 again and repeats back down to 210-216)

Where would I get this one?
This is all normal in my experience assuming your burping was successful. Idling will get you to 225-230F. Turn on the AC and the fans come on around 200F and keep the temp there. This works even if you move the AC temp up to near middle using the dash controls in cooler weather.

When I do my cool down lap at the track I turn on the AC for this reason.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #17
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
Check low speed fan it comes on with AC on it should be working. If not check the relay or the connection to fan motors. Seems high speed checks out. If temperatures get too hot ECM will shut off engine and won’t start till it cools down.
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote