Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 04-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #15
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltct View Post
Nope, apc will strip wax just poor like 3 ounces in your wash bucket when washing your car and your good to go
I've had good luck with glass cleaner. It does a very good job. When I had the stripes put on, the guy used glass cleaner to take off any wax that was on the surface. He says he does that all the time.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #16
BAMF

Drives: The Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
The entire process is a LOT of work. I’m not in athlete shape by a long shot....but there are just so many steps that require elbow grease. My back isn’t as bulletproof as it was in my 20s.

I spent 25 hours on the full chemical/physical decontamination, Polish, coating, Reload, wheel/caliper coating, and interior detail.
O_O

25 hours?! Holy crap! Although I don't think I'll be doing the wheels/calipers this time around. When I get new wheels, I'll coat them before I put them on. But still, that's a really good chunk of time!

BAMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:26 AM   #17
BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Ceramic coats are still subject to swirl scratches from improper washing. If you are the type of person that can’t stand seeing a scratch or swirl, coatings are not the best idea. If you polish out the scratches, you have to re-coat the area you polished.

If you are the type who loves rubbing on your car (detail spray, wax, etc), coatings may not be for you. Coatings require you to wash and detail less.
This is good info, thank you. I currently wash the car almost every weekend, or at least every other weekend. I try to be soooooper careful to avoid scratches and swirls, so it takes me a while each time. I wanted to do the coating so that my hand washes would be quicker/easier, and so I could rely on touchless car washes more often.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #18
BAMF

[QUOTE=Chevyman2;10146798]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
I really appreciate all the responses here! Lots of good info. Any negative experiences with ceramic coats that you know of? I haven't been able to find anything beyond horror stories of it being applied incorrectly.”

Like others have said with ceramic nano coatings they are very labor intensive with the initial application and preparation process.

Washing properly weekly- or the interval of your choosing-this should include a semi annual wash with a product similar to iron x. The purpose of iron x is to remove surface contamination that is hard to remove during normal washing intervals.

Yes if you wash improperly you can induce swirls. However, these swirls will be substantially reduced in your clear coat in comparison without it.

I have personally applied ceramic nano coating to five different cars ,two trucks and one suv all were brand new except for one which had aprox nine thousand miles. I prepared the surface in the manner explained above in earlier post and the product still beads well after many years. Now keep in mind these automobiles are garaged ,keep under a carport , daily driven and some are weekend toys.

The theme has remained constant easy to clean and beads water for a longer period of time than any wax can.

The negative maybe I think wax may make some colors pop just little more.
I’m at the point in my life that I do not want to spend hours washing and waxing or even nano coating my cars.

So for the Camaro and slect others a full PPF wrap is only thing I found better than a ceramic nano coating. If you can afford it have Paint Protection Film applied to entire car then apply nano coating after film has cured. Normal cost for 6 th gen $5k.

If you enjoy waxing every few weeks than niether are for you.
I have considered a full PPF wrap with a ceramic coat over it. I ultimately decided that I would go this route for my next car for sure. However, I still want to go to a shop and see a PPF wrap in person, and I'll probably do that soon. That will probably help me decide for this time around.

And dang! That's a lot of experience! May I ask what some mistakes were or changes that you may have made early on compared to the last few vehicles you did after you were way more familiar with the process?

Old 04-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #19
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
I wanted to do the coating so that my hand washes would be quicker/easier, and so I could rely on touchless car washes more often.
yes that is a good plan.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #20
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
O_O

25 hours?! Holy crap! Although I don't think I'll be doing the wheels/calipers this time around. When I get new wheels, I'll coat them before I put them on. But still, that's a really good chunk of time!
Unless you are a seasoned pro and have done all the steps at least a few times before.....that’s how long it takes. Any shorter and you’re cutting corners or not being thorough enough on one of the steps. ZL1 wheels design adds a good chunk of time if you thoroughly clean all faces/lips/behind the spokes etc. You will only do this one a year, or once every few years. I’d recommend taking your time and being extremely meticulous. It will make a Difference in the final product. I’m approaching a year owning my car and it honestly looks better than showroom new/clean. No dirt/dust in any crevice or door jam. Wheels are
Immaculate etc.

If you remove the wheel/caliper coating and interior detailing steps.....you can shave several hours off total time. Just getting a 6g up in the air, and removing wheels takes some time.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #21
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I definitely think 25 hours is what it takes when you are being meticulous as ninetres said above. If you don't want to be that expansive, I have done a car in about 8, spread over a weekend. A couple hours to polish /wash the car, and an hour to apply the coating, and the Hydro2 (see my sig) for the wheels in 20 minutes… If you use the true coating on the wheels It can certainly add hours, esp if you remove to do barrels.....

My back will not take me doing a full master detail anymore with the coating, I'd rather just polish it once when it's new, then keep checking it with a baggie for Clay, when then do something like "McKees 37 10 minute" or RELOAD every six months and go do other projects. The car is still a mirror look.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #22
Flexhorn

Drives: A10 ZL1
The one piece of advice I would add is make sure you have excellent lighting. I ended up with a few high spots afterwards and the only way I was able to get them out was by applying a few coats of wax.
Flexhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #23
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
[QUOTE=BAMF;10146984]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman2 View Post

I have considered a full PPF wrap with a ceramic coat over it. I ultimately decided that I would go this route for my next car for sure. However, I still want to go to a shop and see a PPF wrap in person, and I'll probably do that soon. That will probably help me decide for this time around.

And dang! That's a lot of experience! May I ask what some mistakes were or changes that you may have made early on compared to the last few vehicles you did after you were way more familiar with the process?
Lighting good lighting learned that after first one this is a must . You can get additional stand up led lighting at big box stores fairly inexpensive. Also , use the product sparingly have extra just in case. The rag company is a good place to purchase Korean microfiber towels cheap. Mostly everyone else charges double. Take your time and do entire process in a climate controlled environment.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #24
BAMF

Ok, that's good to know. I am going to do this in my garage. I'll get the lighting situation squared away before I start.

Tags
adam's polishes, adamspolishes, ceramic coat, ceramic coating, paint correction