Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-19-2009, 06:40 AM   #71
Thrillz

Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
The GT500 is an awsome machine no question about that. My biggest gripe with mustang is its a "me too" car. Everyone and there mother has one you see them everywhere .
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #72
Mrbowtie26

Drives: 2015 CRT 1SS 1LE
Haven't read the entire post but i've been considering the same thing the GT500 looks real nice with the blue w/ white stripes but if your buying it because of the back seats they are non existant lol, the back of the front seats is literally touching the back seats if you have the seat back all the way and not much room back there unless you drive with the seat all the way up. I believe the Camaro is a bit better as far as seat room in the back but still doesn't have a real lot from what i've seen.
Mrbowtie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #73
TaterDog

Drives: 96 4Runner
I would also consider that with all the excitement over the Camaro, and taking into account the aging look of the Mustang (which is somewhat new this year but not startling the way the Camaro is), Ford is likely going to completely and dramatically redesign the Mustang somewhere around 2012-2014. Which means if you buy a Mustang now, it's going to feel new and fresh for about a year or two before you start catching glimpses of the new NEW mustang online and eventually in the streets. I suspect the success of the new Camaro will only push Ford to do something dramatic sooner than planned. And as much as I like the 2010 Mustang, it's a bunch of small changes, not a revolution. Even when the next gen Mustang drops, it may not be the dramatic statement the new Camaro is. Mustangs are usually more conservative than this bad boy Camaro.

Whereas this Camaro is going to be the hot new thang for a while, maybe for 5+ years. So why wait for the truly awesome new car? Why not just buy a 2010 Camaro?

Not to mention the price differences. There was a time when I considered the new Mustang, but the fact that I could buy a 427hp SS for the price of a decked out 315hp GT pretty much ended that conversation.

And finally, the 2010 Camaro truly stirs the heart. The Mustang just looks like a decent pony car.

Chris
TaterDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #74
golfer1

Drives: orange/black/orange 2ss/rs
Consider this.

Do you want do drive something that every chick/penis wrinkle in the country drives.
or
Do you want do drive something that will pick up those chicks and give the penis wrinkles the big FU
golfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #75
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Cost an issue to me.

At 37K MSRP for a fully loaded SS vs. a starting point of 43K for the Shelby. I think were I to price out a Shelby I'd be looking at 10 to 12K more. That's real money. But, if you can aford it and want it, go for it.
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #76
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
At 37K MSRP for a fully loaded SS vs. a starting point of 43K for the Shelby. I think were I to price out a Shelby I'd be looking at 10 to 12K more. That's real money. But, if you can aford it and want it, go for it.
What's really funny is that so many people talk up the price difference between the two cars but then a lot of those same people will go out and spend "the $10k they could have saved by buying the SS" on aftermarket parts and/or wheels. They'll end up having as much or more in their car as the GT500 guys do and, depending on how they spent the money, will have a car that only marginally exceeds or equals the stock GT500's performance.

Buy what makes you happy and let others do the same.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #77
MustangMnky

Drives: 2004 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbowtie26 View Post
Haven't read the entire post but i've been considering the same thing the GT500 looks real nice with the blue w/ white stripes but if your buying it because of the back seats they are non existant lol, the back of the front seats is literally touching the back seats if you have the seat back all the way and not much room back there unless you drive with the seat all the way up. I believe the Camaro is a bit better as far as seat room in the back but still doesn't have a real lot from what i've seen.
For the seat thing, that's every mustang, but I never have a problem riding around with my nephews. They love riding in the back with the beastmode growl that no other car can come close to. Not to mention, girls never have a problem piling in back...juz say'n..
MustangMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #78
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
you can probably find a used vetter for cheaper, but this is going to be the year of the camaro. I mean you never go wrong with a vette. depends on what you really want.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #79
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
Well as far as I am concerned I am definately not biased. Atleast I am probably less biased than most of the stang/camaro owners posting here.
I've not had the privledge of owning either cars to date. And to be quite honest I grew up dreaming of havin a Muscle car period..I admit though, more often it was of havin something more along the lines of either a 67 gto, a 69 judge, or a 71.

That said, I've got love for all pony's/muscles and I can appreciate a nice car regardless of the name.

Personally, I think picking something based solely on a brand name makes you a bit of a sheep in the modern world, with all the globalization of products and what not. HOWEVER. I think that if you have been a faithful and loyal customer to a brand name because they have supplied you with a product that meets all your expectations and satisfies all your desires. You're not a sheep, you're a man who knows what he wants, and has found a place to get it.

Sounds like you and your dad have a lot of history with the Camaro & chevrolet. Sounds like you've found a car & company that have satisfied multiple generations of your family? And with kids, more generations to come if you stick with it. Let me ask you, have you ever been unhappy with a Camaro or Chevy? Because I don't get the sense from your posts that you have been otherwise you wouldn't be considering another. What I do get, is that you are impatient, and the stang is ready and available now, whereas you might have to wait a lil longer for a Maro... (Or get one off ebay right now for less extra cash than what you'd drop on a gt500)

Anyways, bottom line.. I think if it were me, and I was a happy long term Camaro owner and chevy customer.. and I wasn't unhappy, I'd have no reason to take a chance on a ford mustang and HOPE that I could achieve the same level of satisfaction.

Now I'm not saying anything bad about stangs. Nor am I saying a person can't be just as satisfied with a ford or a stang. But would a guy with as much history and satisfaction with ford stangs, really want to switch over to a camaro now if he had no gripes with stangs? Doubtful.

I will submit that I do agree, the gt500 is one sexy mobile. I will stop and check one out myself when I see a nice one. Infact I confess that just last night while I was out with my girl gettin an ice cream, I stopped to check out a white one with black stripes.. and I definately liked what I saw.
However, when I see a Camaro in person, I get butterflies in my stomach and I KNOW it's the car for me.. When I sat behind the wheel of the 2010.. Woww did I feel good. And in regards to the comment from that other gentleman who seems to know his stuff, (The maro will be a tired old design one day too) I have to disagree with just that point. I have never seen anything like the new Camaro and I sincerely find it hard to come up with many examples of cars that have re-used a look as much as the stangs. (I may very well be wrong & don't claim to be an authority on this) But I have been seeing that stang look for years and years.. It's not a bad look by any means. But it isn't new. and it doesn't wow me the same way.

This is all just my personal thoughts/tastes... and I don't mean to put anyone elses down or say mines better than yours, his, or hers.

I personally am in a position where I really wanted a car right now. I considered a lot of vehicles. Including the challenger, the shelby, the maro, and one you may all dislike even more (the evo X) but that's my taste and I'm entitled to it! I'm not really a die hard enthusiast of STRICTLY one type of car... I love cars, and always have... I've always loved muscle more, but I'm not about to spit on an import just because it was made somewhere else. (I'm canadian anyways so they ALL come from somewhere else) atleast the brands do.. as for manufacturing well thats another story.

Anyways long story short. (well not really short anymore with all my ranting) but..

I went with the 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS with ground effects. Black on Black, and I hate the fact I have to wait and might miss out on a lot of summer driving.... (I'm driving a family van while I wait) So the wait is hurting me that much more! But none of these other cars offer me the same gut feeling and butterflies, and that tingle head to toe that I get when I look at or touch a 2010 Camaro. If I didn't like women so much, I might just marry a Camaro.

As for aftermarket and modding and customization.. Whatever man, with enough money you can build a rocket ship and fly your ass to the moon if thats what floats your boat. Who cares about the maro vs stang mod-ability comparissons. In the long run the same amount of money is going to get you in approximately the same range of power. And if you were going to quivel over a few bucks here or there to make your decision, you wouldn't be thinking of 10 grand as not a big deal anyways, so I hardly think any of those arguments should hold much weight in your decision making process.

I made my choice, choosing is hard, but not as hard when you listen to your gut and your heart. Deep down you'll know what you want, or better yet what you NEED. And I wouldn't make a decision until you've come to that realization. It's a big move, make it count.

Anyways, I did my best not to offend anyones personal preferences or tastes, and once again I don't claim to know more than anyone here, just thought I'd share my opinion as I've found this thread to be an interesting read.

Good luck ! And all the best with whatever YOU choose.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #80
chevy dude

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IBM Camaro
If i was in your position(extra $50,000),I go for the Shelby Mustang GT 500,first off the Shelby name says alotAs long as you plan to keep it,it will retain most of it's value over time,the SS Camaro won't:(If it were my money,I'd consider a 1LT/RS Camaro(6spd)(26,00MSRP)as a daily driver,and buy a 1SS Camaro 6speed,cloth(32,000MSRP)bare bones.ok,a few grand more.For the price of one car,you could have 2That way you could let the wife cruise around in the 1LT while you drive around in the 1SS
Old 05-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #81
KoTToN

Drives: 2005 SilveradoSS AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
What's really funny is that so many people talk up the price difference between the two cars but then a lot of those same people will go out and spend "the $10k they could have saved by buying the SS" on aftermarket parts and/or wheels. They'll end up having as much or more in their car as the GT500 guys do and, depending on how they spent the money, will have a car that only marginally exceeds or equals the stock GT500's performance.

Buy what makes you happy and let others do the same.

that still puts them 10k less than the ppl who get the gt500 and buy aftermarket wheels and parts...
KoTToN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #82
modiecast

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS / Sold my 2010 2SS/RS
I say, do what makes you happy and get the Mustang, keeping in mind it is a FORD and all....
modiecast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #83
golfer1

Drives: orange/black/orange 2ss/rs
Fix Or Repair Daily
golfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:46 PM   #84
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Here is what I have ordered and what it should cost - Mag Supercharger, Injectors, Tuner, Pedders Coilovers plus the cost of my 2SS equals about $42K. I add in exhaust, CAI and labor for install / tune and I am at around $45k By the end of the summer I will be putting down 530rwhp and have great handling.... and oh yeah, I still have a Camaro that will kick azzz!! Everything ordered - except havent decided on exhaust or CAI yet.
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote