Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Glass Cleaning Products / Tips?

Glass has always been something I wanted to learn to better care for. The first wash on the Camaro reminds me of that...

I've always used something like Sprayway or Stoner's to clean my windows, but I never felt that it got ALL of the grime and such off. The car has 30 miles on it and there are already a couple of scrapes / scratches down at the bottom (I'm guessing from the dealership detailing the car) and there's some sort of scuff or something in the upper portion of the passenger side that I can't even diminish (let alone remove).

What are the best methods and products to use to completely clean the glass without scratching or marring it?

And, then what? best ideas for protecting it going forward to make cleaning easier in the future?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:22 AM   #2
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
70-90% Isopropyl alcohol on a clean rag then buff with a *new* premium microfiber
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:19 AM   #3
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
https://adamspolishes.com/collection...-glass-cleaner

This is our new Glass Cleaner, it really does a great job when used with our Glass Towel. I would clay your glass first then clean with Glass Cleaner.
Then for protection use Glass Coating wipes.

https://adamspolishes.com/collection...-coating-wipes

Safe on tint and navigation screens, and more! Streak-free guaranteed! Adam’s Glass Cleaner delivers a powerful cleaning formula matched with a streak-free experience that is also safe for tinted windows. Adam’s Glass Cleaner continues to provide that same powerful cleaning formula matched with a streak-free experience that you know and love but now also contains additional co-solvency and inclusion of the same silane active ingredient we use in our Adam’s Glass Sealant! A quick mist of Adam’s Glass Cleaner will generate a crisp, clean appearance with optical-grade clarity and a highly smooth feel – you’re going to love it!
Powerful Formula Cuts through Dirt, Dust, Grease, Grime and other Film Contaminants
Cleans and Lubricates without Streaking or Smearing
Provides Added Slickness and Clarity
Suitable for All Surfaces including Tinted Windows and Tablet Screens
Silane-Infused Formula Leaves Behind a Minor Layer of Protection
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Glass has always been something I wanted to learn to better care for. The first wash on the Camaro reminds me of that...

I've always used something like Sprayway or Stoner's to clean my windows, but I never felt that it got ALL of the grime and such off. The car has 30 miles on it and there are already a couple of scrapes / scratches down at the bottom (I'm guessing from the dealership detailing the car) and there's some sort of scuff or something in the upper portion of the passenger side that I can't even diminish (let alone remove).

What are the best methods and products to use to completely clean the glass without scratching or marring it?

And, then what? best ideas for protecting it going forward to make cleaning easier in the future?
Camaro glass is disheartening to me. My car is garaged. I'm OCD about paint correction. I have PPF and spend more time on keeping her pristine than some may consider healthy. Shes never seen winter, snow, cold temps and is stored 6 months a year. Never been driven on a gravel road and I avoid driving her in the rain as much as possible. Weekends and trips. I rarely ride someones ass and try to stay away from roads under construction. I live in a rural area and don't drive in the 'big city' except when passing through. All that being said when you ride in my car at sunset you'll ask about the 'overspray' on my windshield. Sigh. It's not overspray. It's rock chips. I had a friend ask me once with how much time I spent to keep my paint beautiful why I didn't take the time to get the tree sap off the windshield.

I can only imagine what other people deal with and I've worked hard to get more than 10k miles on her in 24 months. Always been ceramic coated and waxed.
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
Camaro glass is disheartening to me. My car is garaged. I'm OCD about paint correction. I have PPF and spend more time on keeping her pristine than some may consider healthy. Shes never seen winter, snow, cold temps and is stored 6 months a year. Never been driven on a gravel road and I avoid driving her in the rain as much as possible. Weekends and trips. I rarely ride someones ass and try to stay away from roads under construction. I live in a rural area and don't drive in the 'big city' except when passing through. All that being said when you ride in my car at sunset you'll ask about the 'overspray' on my windshield. Sigh. It's not overspray. It's rock chips. I had a friend ask me once with how much time I spent to keep my paint beautiful why I didn't take the time to get the tree sap off the windshield.

I can only imagine what other people deal with and I've worked hard to get more than 10k miles on her in 24 months. Always been ceramic coated and waxed.
I have 75k+ on my '15 Silverado, and I'm quite disappointed in GM glass as a result. It's pitted badly everywhere and is just frustrating to have to look through when driving. That truck sees all weather conditions, though, and I know that at least part of the issue is because I live in the rust belt (dealing with various crap on the roadways at all times of year, but sand during the winter is horrid).

Like you, my car is taken care of in whatever ways I can including staying out of the rain, thorough drying after a wash, being washed within 24 hours of driving at night (to remove bugs from the paint), not following closely behind others, etc. For the glass, I want to keep it in as good condition as I'm able knowing full well that I can have it changed out under insurance if it ever reaches a point where I feel it's just difficult to see through easily.

My house has well water and I get water spots on the glass after washing (even more than typical because of minerals in the water). I've used 0000 steel wool after the last couple of washes and it seems to do a very good job of removing those water spots to about 90-95% levels. Still, I'd like to get some ideas of how to treat / seal the glass and then clean it so that it is as spot free and truly clean as possible.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:44 PM   #6
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Camaro windshields and rear windows are the hardest windows to clean of any car I have worked on.

If you can find it, the very best glass cleaner is Klean Strip Prep-All Heavy Duty Glass Cleaner. Nothing else comes close.

Next best thing is Meguiar's D120 Glass Cleaner Concentrate.

If you need to remove smoke residue, etc from the inside, McKees37 20/20 Cockpit Glass Cleaner is a polish to use before glass cleaner.

For the exterior, CarPro FlyBy30 Kit has polish, Eraser and windshield coating and applicator.

However, if your glass towels aren't clean, if they have been washed with towels that have wax or polish on them, or if they are cheap towels that shed, you will never get the glass clean. SO its important to start with good glass towels.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:02 PM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Camaro windshields and rear windows are the hardest windows to clean of any car I have worked on.

If you can find it, the very best glass cleaner is Klean Strip Prep-All Heavy Duty Glass Cleaner. Nothing else comes close.

Next best thing is Meguiar's D120 Glass Cleaner Concentrate.

If you need to remove smoke residue, etc from the inside, McKees37 20/20 Cockpit Glass Cleaner is a polish to use before glass cleaner.

For the exterior, CarPro FlyBy30 Kit has polish, Eraser and windshield coating and applicator.

However, if your glass towels aren't clean, if they have been washed with towels that have wax or polish on them, or if they are cheap towels that shed, you will never get the glass clean. SO its important to start with good glass towels.
Thanks.

No smoke residue inside... That's not allowed.

Any suggestions on good towels for the glass?
Old 07-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Carpro Eraser works awesome on glass, gets all the oils off. Just don't use on the exterior glass once you coat or sealant the windows, unless you want to strip it all off.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #9
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I have been using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the outside glass. I feel it works great. Just be sure to rinse the glass very well or it will dry and look horrible.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #10
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
i have used invisible glass, carpro eraser, clay bars, pre-soaked car glass cleaning wipes, even maf cleaner. I've used different kinds of paper towels, micro fiber cloths, even the fake leather microfiber type.

NOTHING ..gets this damn oily film off the inside of the windshield. it just spreads and streaks it around. I'm going insane trying to get the inside windshield streak free and nothing I'm doing is working.

The outside is fine. The inside is where my problem lays. I dont know why it's being so stubborn. (windows aren't tinted and never any smoking inside ...almost have never run the ac and temps when cleaning have been room temperature in the garage)
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #11
Cake's Z

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I have the best luck with a damp microfiber towel with water only.
2015 TRD Tundra (traded)
2014 Subaru WRX (traded)
2000 Z28 (sold)
1970 GMC 1500 (stolen)
2017 YXZ1000 (sold)
Cake's Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
i have used invisible glass, carpro eraser, clay bars, pre-soaked car glass cleaning wipes, even maf cleaner. I've used different kinds of paper towels, micro fiber cloths, even the fake leather microfiber type.

NOTHING ..gets this damn oily film off the inside of the windshield. it just spreads and streaks it around. I'm going insane trying to get the inside windshield streak free and nothing I'm doing is working.

The outside is fine. The inside is where my problem lays. I dont know why it's being so stubborn. (windows aren't tinted and never any smoking inside ...almost have never run the ac and temps when cleaning have been room temperature in the garage)
I'm the opposite as I struggle with the outside.

For the inside, I use the heavy "shop" paper towels with Sprayway to do a first pass and then go over it again with Sprayway and a clean microfiber cloth. I've never had a problem.

The oily film you're having an issue with seems likely to be the result of off-gassing from the plastics inside of the cabin. The only remedy there is clean the glass frequently, whether it "looks" dirty or not.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #13
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
I use The Ultimate Cloth. You can get it on Amazon. All you do is get it wet and wring it out and wipe the windows down. It works great. I also wear a glove with a rubber palm so there's no slippage or oils from my skin getting on the windows/cloth. Once the cloth is wore out/dirty, you use it as a shop towel and use a new cloth for window cleaning.

Also, any towel that has been washed in any kind of detergent shouldn't be used on glass again. The detergent will cause streaking no matter how much you rinse the towel.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #14
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post

Just brainstorming here: I'd probably try a squeegee rather than towels, then if that didnt get it, McKees37 20/20 Cockpit Glass Cleaner.

An old detailer once gave me the best glass tip I ever got and that was to use Klean Strip Prep_All Heavy Duty Glass Cleaner. Body shops use it to strip the body panels of wax. It really works better than anything I've tried.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote