Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
joshuah57

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2 45th Ann. Ed.
Not a good day...need help

It was a rough day at work today. Things just didn't go smooth and I ended up working a little later than usual. On the way home, I stopped at the grocery store and picked up a few things. The line at the regular checkouts was pretty long so I thought I would use the self-checkout. I only had 2 items left and the register started giving me grief. The guy tried to help me but couldn't get it either. I ended up going to a regular checkout and running everything through all over again. I put the groceries in the trunk and headed home. I wasn't even out of the parking lot and I heard a big POP from the stereo and then nothing but a soft hum.

For some background, I installed ********'s harness along with 2 JBL 12" subs in a box also from ********. I have a 5 channel Phoenix Gold amp that everything is connected to that is mounted right on the sub box. I did all this in February and it has been working great since (minus the pop many people mention which I know is the amp itself).

So when I got home, I started checking some things over. All the fuses seem to be fine. The amp does power on and off with the head unit. I tried changing the source from CD to FM to satellite, but not even a single crack. I then took my phone and connected that to the amp with a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable and WALLA...music. So the amp works just fine and the head unit seems to be functioning just fine. Might it be something with the harness itself?? Unfortunately, it is dark outside now and I don't have any time to spend tonight. Tomorrow I hope to have time to take a look at the connections around the harness to see if they all look good. I hope I find something because I wouldn't know where to go from there. Wish me luck.

Last edited by joshuah57; 06-08-2012 at 08:03 PM.
joshuah57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
So the pop came from the speakers, or out of the head unit?
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
joshuah57

OK, finally got to check out the system. I am completely stumped. I even hooked up the stock Boston Acoustic amp and I still have no sound. I checked every single fuse in the car too. Could something have shorted in the stock head unit?? It seems to function fine, just without sound. I suppose the dealer will give me a hard time getting it fixed since I added the fark harness and my own amp. This is sounding like it could cost me a few bucks :-(
Old 06-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
joshuah57

I did some browsing and I found a replacement OEM head unit/trim for $125. Since I know for sure that the amplifier side of my stereo works just fine, should I pick this up? I feel it is a great deal and would be much cheaper than even buying an installation kit (I still have a Pioneer double din DVD head unit from my old car). I almost think it has to do something with the head unit. Worse off, I could always resell the unit and at least get my money back, right?
Old 06-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
Im suspecting the CU module is defected as there has been electrical optimisation.
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
joshuah57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_h View Post
Im suspecting the CU module is defected as there has been electrical optimisation.
What do you mean by CU module? Is there something wired in between the head unit and the amplifier?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
An audio system has a main control unit and link to the Gateway system.
Control Units can go funny when optimised signals are linked to the module. And yet, its a valid suggestion from previous cases i had.
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Did you check the fuses in the trunk too? It very well could be the radio though.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I would consider going to the dealer if it is not the ******** harness. It sounds like the problem is in the stock system.
If you get the used BA head unit, you would still have to pay to get it programmed to your VIN to make it work.