Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
SolomonAKOO

 
SolomonAKOO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,211
Tire Rotation or what??

I know you cant rotate the tires because of the size differential, but what do you do if the front tires are starting to feather? i check the pressure and its fine, the alignment is ok, and i only have 12,000 miles on my 2011 2SS. Any suggestions on what to do?
SolomonAKOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
RJTV6A
 
Drives: 69 Camaro I6 no prob,11 V6 big prob
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 475
I suppose you could dismount the tire from the wheel and mount them so the feathered edge is on the inside.
RJTV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
SolomonAKOO

 
SolomonAKOO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,211
Didn't think about that. I'll try that and hope that works out.
SolomonAKOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years
 
ParisTNDude's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet red 2016 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, TN
Posts: 2,723
tires are directional and won't work on any wheel other than the one installed and you can't just turn the feathered side in as proposed by someone else. One of the c5 members said a tire had been mounted inside outward from the factory...check that?
__________________
SOLD: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Garnet Red Metalic, 8A, NPP, Nav, Sun Roof, upgraded silver wheels, lit door sills, Ash gray interior.

Now driving a 2017 Silverado, Red Hot, 5.3, regular cab, short bed and lovin it. Waiting until later this year to buy a Z16, C5...it's hard to wait.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto
2002 C5 Corvette 6M
2006 Corvette Auto
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
SolomonAKOO

 
SolomonAKOO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
tires are directional and won't work on any wheel other than the one installed and you can't just turn the feathered side in as proposed by someone else. One of the c5 members said a tire had been mounted inside outward from the factory...check that?
Thank you I'll check that first then.
SolomonAKOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Envious
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 Twin Turbo Synergy RS Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 174
The tires are uni-directional. They can't be switched to the inside, they actually are marked for the appropriate corner.
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
SolomonAKOO

 
SolomonAKOO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,211
well all of the tires are mounted correctly on the car so now im back to square one. what are the causes of feathered tires? Ive never had a pair of tires feather on any of my previous vehicles.
SolomonAKOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,780
The Pirelli's aren't directional, but they do have a inside and outside which is marked on the tire. Check the tire and make sure it says (outside). If it does then your only option is to rotate your tires side to side.

Something else, at 12k miles if you are having this issue then either your alignment is off or your toe is wrong. Either way, you need to visit your dealer before it gets worse.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
lre107
 
lre107's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 30
Here is a link that describes abnormal tire wear and possible causes and possible fixes....

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

"Feathering
Feathering is a condition when the edge of each tread rib develops a slightly rounded edge on one side and a sharp edge on the other. By running your hand over the tire, you can usually feel the sharper edges before you'll be able to see them. The most common cause of feathering is incorrect toe-in setting, which can be cured by having It set correctly. Occasionally toe-in will be set correctly and this wear pattern still occurs. This is usually due to deteriorated bushings in the front suspension, causing the wheel alignment to shift as the car moves down the road."

Hope this helps some.
__________________
lre107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
SolomonAKOO

 
SolomonAKOO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
The Pirelli's aren't directional, but they do have a inside and outside which is marked on the tire. Check the tire and make sure it says (outside). If it does then your only option is to rotate your tires side to side.

Something else, at 12k miles if you are having this issue then either your alignment is off or your toe is wrong. Either way, you need to visit your dealer before it gets worse.
Thanks i'm going to make an appointment on Monday with my dealer.
SolomonAKOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
SolomonAKOO

 
SolomonAKOO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by lre107 View Post
Here is a link that describes abnormal tire wear and possible causes and possible fixes....

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

"Feathering
Feathering is a condition when the edge of each tread rib develops a slightly rounded edge on one side and a sharp edge on the other. By running your hand over the tire, you can usually feel the sharper edges before you'll be able to see them. The most common cause of feathering is incorrect toe-in setting, which can be cured by having It set correctly. Occasionally toe-in will be set correctly and this wear pattern still occurs. This is usually due to deteriorated bushings in the front suspension, causing the wheel alignment to shift as the car moves down the road."

Hope this helps some.
Yes this helps alot thank you for that..
SolomonAKOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
oldfriend


 
Drives: Fiat 500 E
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 32.7607/N. 16.95947/W
Posts: 7,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTV6A View Post
I suppose you could dismount the tire from the wheel and mount them so the feathered edge is on the inside.
We can't do this on this tires , they are clearly marked OUTSIDE face
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
2SShowngo

 
2SShowngo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 black ZL1#456
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: orlando,fl
Posts: 1,238
having been in the tire business for many years theres a couple things that could be goin on. is the tire feathered just on the edge,if so this is a toe issue and a simple alignment will fix the problem but not the feathered tire.if the whole tire is feathered than you either have a bad tire or a bad suspension component,i.e. shock,spring,mount. make sure the dealer SHOWS you what they found or this could be an issue popping up all the time.
2SShowngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
babytiger
it's hers...
 
babytiger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: katy, tx
Posts: 1,202
Alignment could still be an issue. Just because the steering wheel is straight and it feels like it's driving straight, it could still be off.
Alignment set from the factory has the tires set real tight to have the 'feel' of the drive very stiff and sporty.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.