Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
2011Black2SS

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
APEX Solid Rear Bushings

So, I got me a set of the APEX solid rear bushings and put them on this past Friday (thanks Paul and Chase). Haven't had a chance to drive the car much other then driving it the 18 miles back to my house, but it still road nice and smooth. The roads were wet so I didn't push it too hard around the corners either. Hopefully I'll have a chance to get it out and drive it some this week and put it through some paces, but if nothing else I'll really do it during the NCM track day in October. The first impressions are the card still rides fine even in race setting 5 which is what I usually drive around in. I should have more to come on the drive-ability over the next couple of months though so I'll try to remember to post up.

The install was a bit different then the instructions that APEX currently has due to the instructions being for an SS when Pfadt was producing them. I am helping them out with what I did for the ZL1 because there are coolant lines that run to the rear diff, NPP vacuum lines, and the mag ride wires that were not on the SS. Me and a buddy were able to get this done in about 3 hours or so at his shop, but this could be done in the driveway/garage with 6 to 8 jack stands. It might actually make it a bit easier if it were on jack stands. Below are some cell phone pics of the install so the camera work wasn't all that great.

What we ended up doing is using two transmission jacks and a tie down to keep the rear end stable. We did loosen the coolant lines and took them off their brackets from the transmission back to give us enough room to drop the rear end down enough to work on it. The shocks and mag ride connections had to be disconnected to let the rear end drop far enough. The NPP vacuum tubes also had to be disconnected to get the exhaust out.

From there we were able to make enough room to start working on getting the old bushings out. The cutting method suggested wasn't working too well, so we went the heating route and with some heat and a few smacks of a 4 lb hammer they came right out. We did clean of were the flames touched the metal and spray painted it back to black to keep the metal covered. After all, it is way up under the car and no one will really be looking at it.

With everything said and done it went pretty smoothly, the thing that worried me the most was the coolant lines, but there is no damage to them and there are no leaks anywhere so that is all good. If you wanted to drain the coolant and refill it, there are some quick disconnects near the rear end of the car, but I didn't want to have to do that.

Anyway, below are the pictures. More to come on the ride as long as I can remember to post back up.
Attached Images

Last edited by 2011Black2SS; 08-11-2014 at 09:31 PM.
2011Black2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
2011Black2SS

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Got new shoes on it also, MP Super Sports, I must say that the little bit I drove with them on it I don't understand how sticky they are for a street tire. I cannot wait to get them on a track.
2011Black2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Glad you are happy with them so far. When you get a chance to really push it you will notice it a lot more.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote