Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #1
TheInfamouSS
@LS.ACE

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 2SS/1LE
HOW TO: The n2mb WOT Box install you have all been waiting for!!

N2MB Wot Box Install: Camaro 5th Generation (2010-2015)
Written by: @LS_Ace

Disclaimer: I am by no means a professional. If you do not feel comfortable with taking on this task yourself it is always best to get it professionally installed. N2MB Racing also clearly states on their site that the method they prefer when installing the Wot Box would be the solder and heat shrink technique. For this install I am going to be using heat shrink butt connectors and heat shrink quick connects for my wiring. Although it does make for a slightly bulkier wire harness (less so if you stagger the butt connectors) I have not had any issues with this method so it will be what I am using for this install. You are more than welcome to use the method of your choosing.

I am making this write up due to the heavy request from the 5th Gen community about getting a how-to for this product so they would feel more comfortable taking on the task themselves. Hopefully this will be of assistance. (If you have any questions it is always best to contact n2mb directly, they have amazing customer service and would be glad to help you).

Tools Used:

• Wire Cutters/Strippers

• Ratcheting Crimp Tool
• Heat Shrink Butt Connectors and Quick Connects

• Heat Gun

• Wire Loom Tubing

• Electrical Tape

• Zip Ties
• 3M Heavy Duty Double Sided Tape

What’s In The Box:

• WOT Box
• Wiring Harness
• Heat-Shrink Tubing

• Zip Ties
• Ground Lug
• USB to Serial Adapter

Name:  WOT Box - 1.jpeg
Views: 2047
Size:  47.5 KB

Wot Box Wire Functions:

RED - Ignition Coil Power IN
ORANGE - Ignition Coil Power OUT
BLACK- Ground
GREEN- Clutch Wire Input
BLUE - Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Input
YELLOW - RPM Input

(Throughout this guide I will show you which method I used for the wiring as well as the alternate pinouts you can use from the ECU.)

Getting Started:

!!! Make sure you ALWAYS disconnect your battery before any electrical project !!!

Step 1:

Decide where you are going to mount your Wot Box (I chose the driver side kick panel for ease of access to the serial port when I want to use the computer to change parameters).

**This step is just so you know how much of the wiring harness needs to be left in the car to make the connection. Since the kick panel needs to be removed anyway I did not mount the WOT Box until all of the wiring was done.**

Step 2:

Run the wiring harness for the Wot Box through the firewall at any place you desire (I used the spot on the top left drivers side where the main power feed comes through the firewall. There are other places you can route it as well.)

Since I am going to be tapping my Accelerator Pedal Position Input (BLUE), Clutch Wire Input (GREEN) and RPM Input (YELLOW) signals from the sensor harnesses I decided to mount the Wot Box on the drivers side kick panel for ease of installation and access. 

For this install since we will be using the signals from the Accelerator and Clutch Pedal Sensors you will only need to bring the YELLOW, RED and ORANGE Wires through the firewall into the engine bay. This should leave you with the GREEN, BLUE, and BLACK Ground wires inside the cabin of the vehicle.

Name:  WOT Box 1 - 1.jpeg
Views: 1843
Size:  174.0 KB

**YELLOW, RED, ORANGE wire that will be ran through firewall into the engine bay**

**NOTE: If you are going to be getting the signals from the ECU it may be easier to mount the Wot Box on the passenger side for a cleaner install. There is a rubber grommet on the passenger floorboard that feeds through the windshield wiper cowl that you can use (removal of passenger side cowl cover is necessary to help feed wire through). In this circumstance you would want to pull every wire other than the ground wire through into the engine bay. The only issue with this is you will need someone to assist you when setting 2 step RPM since it requires holding down the clutch and button on the WOT Box at the same time**
Some weird snail with a belt on it | Tial Q Bov | CCP Jam Cam | Stainless Works 1 7/8" Headers to Custom 3" Exhaust | Alky Control Dual Nozzle| ProMeth Trunk Mount Tank | Melling Oil Pump | DSX Aux Pump | id1050x Injectors | McLeod RXT w/ Monster Billet Release Bearing | ZL1 3.73 Rear Diff | BMR Delrin/Poly Diff Bushings | DSS 1-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft | ZL1 Axles | Metco Driveshaft Loop | BMR Adjustable LCA's, TA's, Toe Rods | BMR Adjustable Sway Bar w/ Fe3 End Links | Mickey Thompson 305/35-20 Street S/S Drag Radials |
TheInfamouSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
TheInfamouSS
@LS.ACE

n2mb WOT Box Continued...

Step 3:

First we are going to run the YELLOW Wire (RPM Input) to the first ignition coil. You will be getting your signal from the Purple Wire (Pin C shown in diagram below- IC1 Control). I recommend cutting the electrical tape back before you splice into the wire to make it easier to hide. Solder and heat shrink or use heat shrink crimp connects to join wires and then re-tape harness.

Name:  WOT Box 2 - 1.jpeg
Views: 2309
Size:  126.5 KB

I could not get a good picture of the harness in my car due to a shift light that was installed on the same coil previously and the wiring was not up to par so I removed it to install at a later date and used a new coil harness so the wire is a different color. To save the confusion here is a picture of Ignition Coil 1 thanks to Moly1983 from the Camaro 5 forums:

Name:  WOT Box 3 - 1.jpeg
Views: 1637
Size:  121.6 KB

***[If you are pinning the Yellow RPM Input wire to the ECU you will use pin X2-70 ]***

Step 4:

Now we are going to wire up our Ignition Power wires (RED/ORANGE wires) to the PINK/BLACK wires that supply power to each bank of ignition coils. Peel back some of the electrical tape from the ignition coil harness on both the passenger and drivers side of the vehicle and then split the pink/black wire from the harness (you can cut it back further I just know I have a project coming up in the near future that will require me re-wiring everything anyway so this worked perfectly for demonstration purposes):

Name:  WOT Box 4 - 1.jpeg
Views: 1678
Size:  145.5 KB

At this point you are going to want to route your RED/ORANGE wires for the cleanest install so make sure you measure twice and cut once. Split the RED and ORANGE wires so you can run one of each color to both passenger and driver side ignition coils. Once you cut your wires you can now solder or connect the RED/ORANGE wires to the PINK/BLACK wires we split at the ignition coil harness.

**Make sure you have the ORANGE wire going towards the coil packs and the RED wire going towards the ECU as shown below**

Name:  WOT Box 5 - 1.jpeg
Views: 1964
Size:  136.6 KB

**Remember you are going to want to do this on both sides and then join each side together to your main splice. Main Splice shown below..**

Name:  WOT Box 6 - 1.jpeg
Views: 1634
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  WOT Box 7 - 1.jpeg
Views: 1650
Size:  180.2 KB

**Above Picture Shows RED/ORANGE wires from each Ignition Coil Harness to the main ORANGE/RED wire feed from the WOT BOX**

Now you are going to want to clean everything up under the engine bay. Finish taping and securing any electrical connections making sure to keep them away from any heat sources or areas where they may experience chaffing due to vibration. Use zip ties and wire loom where applicable to help hide and route your wires. You are now ready to move on to the next step!

***IMPORTANT: The RED/ORANGE wires for the ignition power MUST be tapped into the PINK/BLACK wires at the Ignition Coil harnesses. You can not tap these wires in at the fusebox because the fusebox provides power to the ignition coils and injectors on the same circuit***
Some weird snail with a belt on it | Tial Q Bov | CCP Jam Cam | Stainless Works 1 7/8" Headers to Custom 3" Exhaust | Alky Control Dual Nozzle| ProMeth Trunk Mount Tank | Melling Oil Pump | DSX Aux Pump | id1050x Injectors | McLeod RXT w/ Monster Billet Release Bearing | ZL1 3.73 Rear Diff | BMR Delrin/Poly Diff Bushings | DSS 1-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft | ZL1 Axles | Metco Driveshaft Loop | BMR Adjustable LCA's, TA's, Toe Rods | BMR Adjustable Sway Bar w/ Fe3 End Links | Mickey Thompson 305/35-20 Street S/S Drag Radials |

Last edited by TheInfamouSS; 01-22-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
TheInfamouSS
@LS.ACE

Step 5:

Now comes the fun part. We are ready to tap into the wires for the Clutch and Accelerator Pedal sensors. To access the wires we are going to want to remove the connections from each sensor. You have to depress the grey tab in the middle while pulling up at the same time to get the grey piece off. Once you do that you just push down in the middle and pull up and the connector should come right out. Practice on the Accelerator Pedal first because the clutch switch is a lot harder.

Name:  WOT Box 8 - 1.jpeg
Views: 1672
Size:  126.9 KB
Name:  WOT Box 9 - 1.jpeg
Views: 1605
Size:  73.1 KB

**Picture of the Clutch Switch Harness. Accelerator Pedal Harness is on top of the gas pedal, you can’t miss it.**

Once you get both connector harnesses removed you are now ready to run the BLUE and GREEN wires from your WOT Box. Determine how you are going to run the wires and cut them to length, then remove some of the protective wrap from the harness to make your splice. You are going to tap into the Yellow wire from the Clutch Switch Harness with the GREEN wire and the Light Blue wire from the Accelerator Pedal Harness with the BLUE wire from the WOT Box. When you are done: re-wrap the harness, connect the sensors and secure your wiring.

Name:  WOT Box 10 - 1.jpeg
Views: 1686
Size:  67.6 KB
Name:  WOT Box 11 - 1.jpeg
Views: 1708
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  WOT Box 12 - 1.jpeg
Views: 1685
Size:  113.6 KB

**Picture showing GREEN wire from WOT Box connected to yellow wire from clutch harness**

**[If you are pinning these wires to the ECU the GREEN wire from the WOT Box goes to the Yellow Cutch Switch wire pin X1-26 and the BLUE wire from the WOT Box goes to the Light Blue APP Sensor wire pin X1-32.]**

Last edited by TheInfamouSS; 01-22-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
TheInfamouSS
@LS.ACE

Step 6:

If you have made it to this point be happy because we only have one more wire to run and it is an easy one! It is now time to wire the BLACK wire from the WOT Box to a ground of your choice. I decided to choose one that was near the fuse box since it was the easiest route for where I mounted my WOT Box.

Name:  WOT Box 13 - 1.jpeg
Views: 1692
Size:  55.4 KB

Final Steps:

Now that everything is wired up we are ready to test everything out to make sure everything is in working order. I got these tips off of the n2mb website. Note for these tests that the 2 step is pre-set to 4000 rpms.

1) Turn the key to the on position but do not turn the engine on. Press the gas pedal to the floor and you should see the LED light on the WOT Box blinking rapidly. If it does not: check the connection on the BLUE Accelerator Position sensor wire.

2) With the gas pedal still pressed, press the clutch pedal to the floor. The LED on the WOT Box should briefly go out, and then come back on solid for a second before it resumes blinking rapidly. If it does not: check the connection on the GREEN Clutch Pedal Switch wire.

3) Start the engine. Quickly press gas pedal to the floor and immediately step on the clutch. The engine should rev up, stumble for a short period while the ignition is cut and continue to rev. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE YOUR FOOT FROM THE GAS BEFORE YOU HIT THE REV LIMITER. If the engine doesn’t stumble or pause when the LED goes out check the RED/ORANGE wires and make sure they are facing the proper way. Ignition cut will not work if they are reversed.

4) To test the 2-Step press the clutch pedal down and then press the gas pedal all the way to the floor (the gas pedal must be all the way to the floor for the 2 step to engage). The engine should rev up to the desired RPM and stay there. If it does not work, check the YELLOW wire that is going to the 1st ignition coil.

After you know everything is working correctly you can now put back any interior panels or pieces that you took out and securely mount your WOT Box if you have not done so already. Now hook your WOT Box up to a laptop and change all of the settings as you desire and you are ready to go!

If you have any questions I will be glad to assist you but you can also contact n2mb Racing by visiting their website at www.n2mb.com. They have excellent customer service and are always willing to help! 

I hope this write up was beneficial to you and gives you a better insight on installing this product. If you have any additions or anything else that you think may make this how-to better feel free to contact me on here or at LSace973@gmail.com. Everyone will be credited for their contributions.

Installation video will be up shortly at www.youtube.com/LSace973

Now get in the car and enjoy your new n2mb WOT Box!!!

Last edited by TheInfamouSS; 01-22-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #5
TheInfamouSS
@LS.ACE

Finally finished editing the video. It's the first actual vlog style video I put together but hopefully this will help everyone out along with the write up!

If the video was any help to you please hit that like button and make sure to subscribe for A LOT more content coming this year. From installs to racing and everything in between. It's my new channel so I would love some support from my fellow 5th gen community!!

Last edited by TheInfamouSS; 01-23-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Great write up, Rob!! This will help anyone who wants to do the install themselves. You answer most of the questions that I had when I did mine.

I'm sorry that I didn't see your PM until just now. It looks like you got the pics that you needed anyway.

One thing that I did when I installed my box was to use harness extensions for the coils, TPS and clutch switch wiring so that I didn't have to cut into any factory wiring. Some guys prefer to be able to reverse the install without leaving any spliced wires, but it adds about $100 to the cost of the install. Either way will make it work, but I just thought I'd add that.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #7
Aqwk68

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs and turbo 68 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Great write up, Rob!! This will help anyone who wants to do the install themselves. You answer most of the questions that I had when I did mine.

I'm sorry that I didn't see your PM until just now. It looks like you got the pics that you needed anyway.

One thing that I did when I installed my box was to use harness extensions for the coils, TPS and clutch switch wiring so that I didn't have to cut into any factory wiring. Some guys prefer to be able to reverse the install without leaving any spliced wires, but it adds about $100 to the cost of the install. Either way will make it work, but I just thought I'd add that.
Where did you get your tps harness extension? I found where I can get the clutch and coil harnesses
Aqwk68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #8
TheInfamouSS
@LS.ACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post

Thanks Zane! That was really my reasoning behind making this write up. When I was trying to do research on the install it was difficult because everything was all over the place (IF you could even find the answer) so I wanted to put everything into one post to try and make it easier for everyone and then they can tackle the task as they please from there. And don't worry about it, I ended up taking the pictures anyway, I do appreciate that you were willing to contribute if needed though.

Harness extensions are definitely another option which are great so you do not have to cut into the factory wiring. I agree one hundred percent so thanks for adding that on here!
Old 01-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #9
TheInfamouSS
@LS.ACE

Youtube video is now available in Post #5. Hope this gives everyone a little extra insight on what needs to be done.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:46 AM   #10
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
https://www.amazon.com/ALLMOST-Ignit.../dp/B07YW66Z43

I used a really short ignition harness, and it looks like shit. I would get the longer one and find a way to route them, so they look good.

You dont really need the other ext harnesses, in my opinion.
If I remember correctly, the other connections are just tapped into the gas and clutch pedal harness. You dont actually cut the wires. So its easily removable.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:48 AM   #11
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Keep in mind, if you are looking for that 2 step sound with fire spitting affect, this WOT box is not what you want. Get the LNC-2000.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote