Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #15
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Pete I'm sure you have addressed this before but for a street and occasional track car would you recommend Poly, Solids (Delrin or Alum), or possibly the Z/28 1LE pieces???
Quote:
What about NVH on solid bushings???
There are no poly sub-frame bushings available for the 5th Gen Camaro that I can recommend at this time. There are all too soft and some are so soft the OE bushings are better. There is certainly an increase in NVH with delrin or aluminum sub-frame bushings, just as there wa with the old HD poly bushings I sold. If you have an after market exhaust, you won't notice it. If you are stock you will hear more tire song and gear noise. It isn't bad, but it is there.

The best product available for sub-frame bushings at this time come from DSE. I use them for my client builds. They are in stock and available for order.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/2010+F-B...le-mounts.html
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #16
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
There are no poly sub-frame bushings available for the 5th Gen Camaro that I can recommend at this time. There are all too soft and some are so soft the OE bushings are better. There is certainly an increase in NVH with delrin or aluminum sub-frame bushings, just as there wa with the old HD poly bushings I sold. If you have an after market exhaust, you won't notice it. If you are stock you will hear more tire song and gear noise. It isn't bad, but it is there.

The best product available for sub-frame bushings at this time come from DSE. I use them for my client builds. They are in stock and available for order.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/2010+F-B...le-mounts.html

The DSE bushings are a nice peice for sure but a little spendy. Definitely wanna do but not sure I wanna get into that big of a job right now.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #17
JusticePete

Quote:
The DSE bushings are a nice peice for sure but a little spendy. Definitely wanna do but not sure I wanna get into that big of a job right now.
When you bring your Camaro down to me I'll make you an offer you can't refuse. I know a guy...
Old 10-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #18
Shifty1

Drives: 2015 Red ZL1
How about alignment after dropping the subframe? I know there are pins to line up the subframe, but is there room for it to shift?
Shifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #19
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty1 View Post
How about alignment after dropping the subframe? I know there are pins to line up the subframe, but is there room for it to shift?
If you use an inferior aftermarket bushing kit with sloppy holes in the ferules or ferules that don't fit tight to the pilot or worse both it will fit poorly and require an alignment. Because of the poor fit, it will require frequent alignments.

Using a DSE or other top quality kit, it will bolt right up, no alignment required, as the alignment will not have changed. Having said that, the alignment will be no better or worse than it was, any time you do suspension work it is a best practice to follow with an alignment.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #20
10' Camaro SC

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 5th Gen 6spd SC
Quote:
If you use an inferior aftermarket bushing kit with sloppy holes in the ferules or ferules that don't fit tight to the pilot or worse both it will fit poorly and require an alignment. Because of the poor fit, it will require frequent alignments.

Using a DSE or other top quality kit, it will bolt right up, no alignment required, as the alignment will not have changed. Having said that, the alignment will be no better or worse than it was, any time you do suspension work it is a best practice to follow with an alignment.
I want to do BC racing coilovers & BMR sway bars/strut bar. Do these bushings just reduce wheel hop mostly? or do they help in corning and ride quality also? Just seems such a project lol
10' LS3 Camaro 2SS (blacked out) - Edelbrock Supercharger, ZL1 rims, 275/315 tires, XS Power LT headers, 3" exhaust, twin tips, Edelbrock CAI, ZL1 fuel pump/ADM FPCM, VMax ported TB, JRE fuel mod, TR6ix plugs, ZL1 spoiler/splitter/grille, KW V1 coilovers, BMR sway bars, strut tower brace, trailing arms, toe links, Prothane radius arm & subframe bushings, Slotted rotors, Hawk pads, SS brake lines, HURST short throw shifter, Scosche dash kit, Pioneer 7" radio, backup camera, Dyno - 520 rwhp/tq
10' Camaro SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #21
10' Camaro SC

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
You can go as hard as you want on the Cradle Bushings - the ride does not really suffer.
Would this tool work for your bushings also? I just prefer not to use a torch lol
http://www.ridetech.com/store/2010-2...tion-tool.html
10' LS3 Camaro 2SS (blacked out) - Edelbrock Supercharger, ZL1 rims, 275/315 tires, XS Power LT headers, 3" exhaust, twin tips, Edelbrock CAI, ZL1 fuel pump/ADM FPCM, VMax ported TB, JRE fuel mod, TR6ix plugs, ZL1 spoiler/splitter/grille, KW V1 coilovers, BMR sway bars, strut tower brace, trailing arms, toe links, Prothane radius arm & subframe bushings, Slotted rotors, Hawk pads, SS brake lines, HURST short throw shifter, Scosche dash kit, Pioneer 7" radio, backup camera, Dyno - 520 rwhp/tq
Old 10-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #22
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10' Camaro SC View Post
I want to do BC racing coilovers & BMR sway bars/strut bar. Do these bushings just reduce wheel hop mostly? or do they help in corning and ride quality also? Just seems such a project lol
When the sub-frame moves it creates a condition known as rear end steer. The shift in position changes alignment angles. You have a 2010. 2010 - 11 have the weakest sub-frame bushings in the 5th Gen run. You would see a significant improvement with a reduction is wheel hop. Both straight line stability and cornering will improve. Sub-frame bushings should be high on your list.

Forget the strut tower bar. Your Camaro is built like a tank. It is a toaster cover in terms of function and toaster covers are for Grandma's kitchen if she was born in 1930.

1. Are you going to upgrade to an outboard mount ZL1 style rear sway bar?

2. What diameter bars are you looking at?

Quote:
Would this tool work for your bushings also? I just prefer not to use a torch lol
http://www.ridetech.com/store/2010-2...tion-tool.html
Yes it would work.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #23
10' Camaro SC

Quote:
When the sub-frame moves it creates a condition known as rear end steer. The shift in position changes alignment angles. You have a 2010. 2010 - 11 have the weakest sub-frame bushings in the 5th Gen run. You would see a significant improvement with a reduction is wheel hop. Both straight line stability and cornering will improve. Sub-frame bushings should be high on your list.

Forget the strut tower bar. Your Camaro is built like a tank. It is a toaster cover in terms of function and toaster covers are for Grandma's kitchen if she was born in 1930.

Yes it would work.
Looks like I need to do it then lol

So it's more for looks? lol. Why do the more expensive Camaros and Mustangs have them from the factory?

BMR sways 29mm (front), and 25mm (rear)
Old 10-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #24
10' Camaro SC

Quote:

Yes it would work.
Coilovers, swaybars & rear cradle bushings should be a nice noticeable improvement for autocrossing without spending to much money right? I know you could replace more but that requires to much cash IMO

The autocrossing would be more for fun not trying be top on the list. My Camaro is 99.9% daily driver.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #25
JusticePete

Quote:
Coilovers, swaybars & rear cradle bushings should be a nice noticeable improvement for autocrossing without spending to much money right? I know you could replace more but that requires to much cash IMO
You're definitely on the right path. We want to make sure you spend your money in the smartest ways possible. If you're going to upgrade sway bars it doesn't make any sense to do anything other than an outboard mount bar. The outboard mount bar on your model you will require us to change out the lower control arms. There is nothing you can do to your model year 5th gen that will have greater results than switching to an outboard mount rear sway bar. Subframe bushings would be next on my list. Something we haven't talked about r radius bushing inserts. The z28 has a hard plastic insert from the factory. All other Camaros regardless of bottle you use a soft rubber insert. GPSS as design and has in stock billet radius bushing inserts. These reduce dynamic caster change. They improve the steering wheel on center feel. They improve vehicle stability whether it's in a straight line or in a corner. If I were looking at upgrading your particular car and it were my own sway bars subframe bushings billet bushings for the radius arms an aggressive alignment and you will not believe you're driving the same car even on your OEM springs and shocks. Sparse coilovers that's an in-depth discussion. I am a huge fan of the z28 dSSSB multimatic struts. Even the top-of-the-line coilovers that are available don't use a DSS V spool valve. Thats full valve is pretty magical. The downside to the dSSSB struts if they are not adjustable. They also are fixed right height. I'm a big fan of the spring rates on the z28 as well. We've had excellent success modifying 1le struts to accommodate the different spring Heights for the z28 springs. Its still expensive but it's not as expensive as a full dSSSB z28 set up. Right temp makes a set a budget friendly coilovers. They are more expensive than the BCS but they come with a distinct advantage. The design of the 5th gen IRS puts a tremendous side load on the struts in the rear suspension. The side load is what causes seals to fail in coilovers and OEM struts. The right tekrar mounting is different from the factory mounting. It reduces the side load and it makes their rear coilovers more reliable. In my opinion that would be a much better setup for you than the BCS. We can move around the scale and go to DSE / JRI. As good as they are they are budget breakers. I know it's a long post I hope I didn't overload you with information.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #26
10' Camaro SC

Quote:
You're definitely on the right path. We want to make sure you spend your money in the smartest ways possible. If you're going to upgrade sway bars it doesn't make any sense to do anything other than an outboard mount bar. The outboard mount bar on your model you will require us to change out the lower control arms. There is nothing you can do to your model year 5th gen that will have greater results than switching to an outboard mount rear sway bar. Subframe bushings would be next on my list. Something we haven't talked about r radius bushing inserts. The z28 has a hard plastic insert from the factory. All other Camaros regardless of bottle you use a soft rubber insert. GPSS as design and has in stock billet radius bushing inserts. These reduce dynamic caster change. They improve the steering wheel on center feel. They improve vehicle stability whether it's in a straight line or in a corner. If I were looking at upgrading your particular car and it were my own sway bars subframe bushings billet bushings for the radius arms an aggressive alignment and you will not believe you're driving the same car even on your OEM springs and shocks. Sparse coilovers that's an in-depth discussion. I am a huge fan of the z28 dSSSB multimatic struts. Even the top-of-the-line coilovers that are available don't use a DSS V spool valve. Thats full valve is pretty magical. The downside to the dSSSB struts if they are not adjustable. They also are fixed right height. I'm a big fan of the spring rates on the z28 as well. We've had excellent success modifying 1le struts to accommodate the different spring Heights for the z28 springs. Its still expensive but it's not as expensive as a full dSSSB z28 set up. Right temp makes a set a budget friendly coilovers. They are more expensive than the BCS but they come with a distinct advantage. The design of the 5th gen IRS puts a tremendous side load on the struts in the rear suspension. The side load is what causes seals to fail in coilovers and OEM struts. The right tekrar mounting is different from the factory mounting. It reduces the side load and it makes their rear coilovers more reliable. In my opinion that would be a much better setup for you than the BCS. We can move around the scale and go to DSE / JRI. As good as they are they are budget breakers. I know it's a long post I hope I didn't overload you with information.
What do these outboard mount sway bars with the lower control arms and endlinks cost?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #27
JusticePete

Quote:
What do these outboard mount sway bars with the lower control arms and endlinks cost?
The single biggest improvement that's been made to the 5th gen over its production life cycle his hand down the outward mount rear sway bar forum rules prevent me from posting a price so I sent you a PM
Old 10-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #28
MojoBodies

Drives: 2016 Z06
Quote:
...Right temp makes a set a budget friendly coilovers...
Right temp?
MojoBodies is offline   Reply With Quote