Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-04-2018, 08:10 AM   #15
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
I did it and it's not difficult. But, I wouldn't bother in the future after seeing my original slave cylinder. I have no clue how anyone melts that support piece.
Lots and lots of us have. If you wanna cut really good 60' times, and don't want to thrash the rear and and axles using the bias ply tires and clutch dump method, then you leave on sticky drag radials and use the clutch like a torque converter, not a on/off switch. That creates tons of heat. My stock clutch is still holding up to the abuse with 35k on it, but my throw out bearing support melted and failed this summer.

I consider the clutch a wear item, just like tires and brakes. If you're using the car hard, you're gonna wear it out.

My opinion would be that if the trans comes out for any reason, it should go back in with a billet throwout bearing support and a remote speed bleeder for the clutch hydraulics.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #16
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
My opinion would be that if the trans comes out for any reason, it should go back in with a billet throwout bearing support and a remote speed bleeder for the clutch hydraulics.
Amen brother!!
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:40 AM   #17
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
Quote:
Amen brother!!
Yes Indeed. Also never understood why they couldn’t just put the Shaft Support Bearing in there.Yeah to save $ and it is more the capable of handling a few Mods but when you start pushing it, there is another Weak Link.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #18
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
So is this a mod you would recommend? I have been thinking about doing it.
Definitely would recommend it! It makes driving spiritedly very fun and i can tell that it takes less efffort to rev the motor
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #19
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Lots and lots of us have. If you wanna cut really good 60' times, and don't want to thrash the rear and and axles using the bias ply tires and clutch dump method, then you leave on sticky drag radials and use the clutch like a torque converter, not a on/off switch. That creates tons of heat. My stock clutch is still holding up to the abuse with 35k on it, but my throw out bearing support melted and failed this summer.

I consider the clutch a wear item, just like tires and brakes. If you're using the car hard, you're gonna wear it out.

A clutch is a wear item. There is a reason why it’s not covered under warranty.

I don’t agree about the metal support piece and I guess I’m just not a hardcore enough racer since I didn’t melt the bearing support. I only bought it and installed it because I thought that is what failed. I still think most people will not benefit from using one. My clutch looked great with 83k miles on it and the support piece looked great as well. The rest of the slave failed. I do agree with you about the remote bleeder.

More power to ya if you melt it!
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
Old 01-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #20
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
yeah im gonna be in the market for a new clutch next month. this is very good info to keep in mind

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #21
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
A clutch is a wear item. There is a reason why it’s not covered under warranty.

I don’t agree about the metal support piece and I guess I’m just not a hardcore enough racer since I didn’t melt the bearing support. I only bought it and installed it because I thought that is what failed. I still think most people will not benefit from using one. My clutch looked great with 83k miles on it and the support piece looked great as well. The rest of the slave failed. I do agree with you about the remote bleeder.

More power to ya if you melt it!
We can certainly agree to disagree - everybody uses them different and has different experiences, and each person should decide individually how likely they are to have that part fail. After seeing how mine looked when I pulled it apart, I know I would never run the stock plastic again knowing that I race the car often and hard, and at times put plenty of heat into my clutch.

If you use your car primarily as a daily driver and it rarely gets launched, then the stock piece would likely hold up just fine - plenty of them have. Would I have replaced it if it had not failed in the first place - I'm not sure. But having been there and now having taken the time to research and investigate, it's definitely a "strongly consider" item for an M6 car that gets hard launches.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:53 AM   #22
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Quote:
parts:
clutch kit: $270.57 shipped from RockAuto
flywheel: $410 shipped from Amazon
hardware: $59.97 shipped from Summit
Tick Performance parts: $140.43 shipped

total: 880.97

install: $728 and it may have been less if i shopped around but with the slave failing i didn't really have time or the option to do so. however, i will say steer clear of the dealerships. my local dealer wanted $1,300 for the install

so all in 1,608.97. now that i know the bearing support was fine and not melted i would skip the tick bearing support next time... and i really want to know how people melt them lol

Not to create contention but just give people more options:

I went with a Monster LT1-S clutch/flywheel, new slave cylinder with billet release, tick remote bleeder and install for a total of $2047 (install was $503).

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #23
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
From Monster:
"We have seen these supports fail on anything from, heavily modified track cars to bone stock cars that are weekend cruisers.

The problem is not only heat, but when you combine heat with varied tolerances of a plastic bearing support. Also you add in the pressure that the bearing experiences, constantly riding on the pressure plate fingers, and actuating against the pressure plate spring.

It's a lot to ask of plastic.

Like you said "If a cheaper part will do the job then it goes in."

Imho Billet Support is Cheap Insurance.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #24
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post

It's a lot to ask of plastic.
Best way to sum it up. And that's pretty much what mine looked like. I felt it fail in my foot too, it first went about half way down in a nasty crunch/smoosh motion, then a few clutch presses later it let go the rest of the way, over-traveled the slave, and puked a little hydro fluid out the bell-housing. I'm looking forward to not repeating that.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #25
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Amen brother!!
And I'm going to sign it under.

In my opinion, a big tailback on a hot summer day is suffice
You will slowly travel for a few hours until the clutch stops working.

And then it's time to say Yeah!!! I saved $ 80
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #26
4T9erSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I think my throwout bearing needs to be replaced. With the LS7 clutch kit, is a throwout bearing included in that? I can’t engage my clutch either so I believe my master cylinder is shot as well. I was thinking of doing this set-up. I am not mechanically inclined and am only learning as I read through this forum.
4T9erSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #27
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4T9erSS View Post
I think my throwout bearing needs to be replaced. With the LS7 clutch kit, is a throwout bearing included in that? I can’t engage my clutch either so I believe my master cylinder is shot as well. I was thinking of doing this set-up. I am not mechanically inclined and am only learning as I read through this forum.
The kit I bought comes with the slave/throw out bearing.

Give the flywheel a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed
Old 01-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #28
xc_SS/RS

I'm still not convinced you need the support piece. I slipped the clutch on two different occasions to the point where I didn't think I would get the car home. I regularly experienced the sinking pedal on WOT runs. It was almost second nature to shift and then stick my foot under the clutch pedal to pick it up with my toes. So I've had my fair share of clutch issues in the time I've owned the car.

Believe me, I understand the whole 'if you're in there' logic. I just don't see the point for 90% of the Camaro owners out there who don't regularly track their cars.

If you drag race or track it often, go for it. Otherwise, I'm sure you could use the money for gas.

Please take it to another thread if you want to discuss it more.