Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
CTS-V Motor Swap Questions (CTS-V Camaro)

I was thinking of putting a maggie on my camaro, but a CTS-V crate motor might be a better option for a couple of reasons like;

I can keep my factory motor and put it back.

Basically I'm going to get the same power as if I put a maggie, but with stonger internal parts.

The CTS-V motor is complete, and probably comes with a warantee !!

Does anyone know if the CTS-V motor goes directly into the camaro with no addtional mods.

For example the all the wiring is the same?
All the plugs are there?

Does the airbox line up? The CTS-V looks like it is off the the side.
Does a CTS-V airbox fit in a camaro ?

Any known issues? or unknown variables?

Anything else you can think of??

Has anyone done it?
Have you done it?

Any pics?

Any swap llinks?

CTS-V crate motor links.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...1708&engCat=ls

http://gmperformancemotor.com/Mercha..._Code=19211708

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=249801

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Why don't you just build your motor with forged internals ($6,000) and install the Maggie ($6,500)?

I think LSA's go for $15,000. I'm not sure on that, though. So you could really save a bit of money.

I do wonder if you installed the LSA, whether you would still have a powertrain warranty with your Camaro?

Btw, I think it would be cool to install the LSA, I was just posting another alternative. You could probably get more power out of the forged internal/Maggie setup that I suggested. I'm pretty sure the Maggie is bigger than the blower on the LSA.

Or you could install the Harrop on the L99 with some forged internals inside and make around the same power (and probably more torque) than the LSA.

Regarding the air intake question -- whether the CAI of the LSA would line up in the Camaro? I think you could always make an air intake fit, even if it was custom made. And if you tuned the ECM (which you almost certainly would), the air intake that you made fit would still work well.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
StangKiller818

Drives: pontiac g5 gt
im pretty sure it can be done but it will cost you a arm and a leg. if you have the money i say do it. it will be a sweet project.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
The writing's on the wall--the LSA will be in the Z28. If you have that kinda coin and are worried about warranty, you should think about trading in the SS when the Z comes out.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
If your going to do all of that go with a fully forged lsx engine not the LSA .. .. that is what I would do

Crowley
Old 04-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
CTS-V motor swap, or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
Why don't you just build your motor with forged internals ($6,000) and install the Maggie ($6,500)?

Btw, I think it would be cool to install the LSA, I was just posting another alternative. You could probably get more power out of the forged internal/Maggie setup that I suggested. I'm pretty sure the Maggie is bigger than the blower on the LSA.
All true !

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
The writing's on the wall--the LSA will be in the Z28. If you have that kinda coin and are worried about warranty, you should think about trading in the SS when the Z comes out.
Good Point , I thought of that, but don't really want to give up my TFE camaro. I'm sure it would cost me that same in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
If your going to do all of that go with a fully forged lsx engine not the LSA .. .. that is what I would do

Crowley
I'm just throwing ideas out there. I'll probably just end up tossing the maggie on the top. Same result, a lot less money. Just not as stong of a lower end, but by then we should know if a factory L99 really holds up with a maggie on the top.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Ugh ... having the LSA in the Camaro is cool but going to add some weight

Last time I checked... the Bitch had 7 radiators from what I read

Then you need the Transmission upgraded ... bigger brakes

imho ... take it to LPE, they will do you rite

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post
Good Point , I thought of that, but don't really want to give up my TFE camaro. I'm sure it would cost me that same in the end.
Ah, didn't see that you have a TFE. LSA might be the way to go for you then, but check out the Edelbrock supercharger--very similar in design to the one on the LSA and it's safe to use with your existing bottom end.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
Honestly if u have that kind of money just go get a C6 Z06 and dominate after a cam, cai & full exhaust
It would be cheaper to build ur motor, go Single tubo kit instead of a supercharger
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
Mister HP

Drives: Speed Shop owner
We can help figure this out if it's really the way you want to go. I have extensive experience with the CTSV and the Camaro, and it is way to involved to post in one shot! Feel free to call the shop and discuss 260-724-7792

Ed
Mister HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Intercooler cover needs to be modified. I'm sure there are going to be some wiring harness alterations and definately fuel system changes (dual-pressure system system like the ZR1 has). I think CamaroSpike23 was working with Uncle Robin on the transformation on Uncle's car.

I see your TFE and don't blame you Good luck with the project and keep us posted!
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
A question just slightly off the mark. Is the 556 HP rating of the CTS-V Caddy a RWHP rating or a flywheel rating?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
A question just slightly off the mark. Is the 556 HP rating of the CTS-V Caddy a RWHP rating or a flywheel rating?
Flywheel. It seems like (at least from the several numbers I found on-line) that, depending on tranny, LSAs are putting from about 440-490 to the ground. I don't believe, power-wise, you'll get the same power, stock-for-stock, with a TVS 2300 LS3; maybe closer with an L99, but not the LS3. It looks like LS3s don't even sweat making 500 RWHP with the OEM airbox and completely stock exhaust at about 6-7 psi. LSAs are pushing about up to 9.5 psi with a TVS 1900 rotor set. I think the supercharger base is probably a little better flowing in a Maggy TVS kit, too, since it's blowing straight down into the heads, whereas the CTS-V's blowing up, through the intercooler, into an upper manifold (so-to-speak) and then the charge circulates down and into the heads.

There's no argument, from me, that LSA has a better foundation, but I don't want you to be suprised, power-wise.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote