Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
SSCAMAROGUY
2012 45th Anniv. 2SS Conv

Drives: 2012 45th Anniv. SS
LEAKY CREEKY CONVERTIBLE

Well folks, I took delivery of a brand new Rally Yellow SS convertible a few weeks ago and last week I dropped it off at the dealership for its fourth round of repairs.

It started out with no heat, that was an easy fix, then I noticed the release latch on the rear of the drivers seat did not work. The part was ordered. These are the easy fixes and I'm not too concerned.

The convertible top on the other hand is proving to be very problematic. When adding a set of Weather Tech Custom floor mats, I noticed the rear passenger floor was soaking wet. I looked online and noticed an ever growing number of convertible owners complaining about a similar issue.

When it went in the first time, the Service Manager advised me that there is a bladder under the rear of the top, designed to collect and channel water to a connecting drain tube. The problem it seems is that when the top retracts, it puts pressure on the bladder and dislodges it from the drain tube. The water then seeps into the back of the car.

In my case, regardless of reconnecting the drain tube, the next time the top is put down, the problem repeats itself. They, as of yesterday did not have a solution to this issue.

The second Convertible related problem relates to a horrific metal on metal noise the top started making when being lowered. I alerted the dealership to that as well and I stopped lowering the top until I could bring it in for them to look at on my last visit. Their solution was to grease up all the moving parts. They said that after multiple up's and down's and a good lubing that the noise was gone. They were right about the noise, however when I got it home, I noticed a big blob of white lithium grease on one of the tops side rails, just above the rear quarter window. I got a cloth to wipe it and it was evident that it was put there to cover a bent and jagged metal side rail. They fixed the noise all right, but at the expense of a structural piece of the top that must have been rubbing against another metal component. The continuous up and down, merely bent things to a point where no contact is now being made.

Today they called to advise me that parts are ordered and will take 10-14 days for delivery. ( I recently ordered an ipod which was shipped from China and at my door in three business days, yet parts for a car manufactured in Oshawa, 3 hours down the road from me will take up to 14 days, unbelievable ) Once the parts arrive, they will have to completely remove the top and start from scratch with the top and bladder. I'm told it is a fairly big job and they readily admit they have not done one yet. Color me worried ! I'm told it could be another 3 weeks before I see my baby again.

I'm trying to be patient, but for a car that was supposedly designed from the start to be a drop top, I'm not impressed.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: Future ZL1 Owner
I know it stinks to have a new car and have it in the shop more than in your possession enoying it. I've been there with all of the GM and Ford cars I've owned, but it won't stop me from buying another muscle car. On the positive side, it sounds like your dealer is attempting to make things right by ordering the parts and attempting to make the repairs. The Thanksgiving holiday may have been figured into their estimate for the 10-14 days, but maybe you'll get a phone call sooner telling you to bring your car back in.

BTW...congratulations on your new Camaro!

Good luck.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
That really sucks :(

I really hope they get it right for you. My understanding though too is that GM is listening, and that Al Oppenheiser eventually does get the parts that have failed to look at what improvements they can make. (Info courtesy of Jason Debler Camaro disciple and from Camaroz28.com)

Part of the issue with spare parts is most likely you can't get them because the parts that are made are "just in time" parts meant for the orders on the line. I could ask all about "supply chain" here at the University.

Hang in there! Or maybe start looking for a junked convertable, and tell you dealer about the parts there.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I hope everything goes better than you suspect. If you have any troubles with all this I would suggest calling GM of Canada and see what they can do for you with this. 800-263-3777 is their phone number. Let us know what happens.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
SSCAMAROGUY
2012 45th Anniv. 2SS Conv

Drives: 2012 45th Anniv. SS
Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I hope everything goes better than you suspect. If you have any troubles with all this I would suggest calling GM of Canada and see what they can do for you with this. 800-263-3777 is their phone number. Let us know what happens.

Jeff, thanks for the good advice. I called the customer service line as you suggested.

They were very pleasant, seemed concerned and offered to look into the matter for me. I was clear, that I was not complaining about the dealership as I think that they have been doing all they can for me. I suggested that my concern was with the fact that there was an apparent design flaw with the convertible top and that GM's slow parts supply chain has compounded the problems.

I look forward to hearing back from them.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
nasty2ss

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss IOM
Here we go again GM knows they have a problem but has no solution. 14 days to get a part is not acceptable. Don't get me wrong I love my camaro,but I'm a little worried if I drove it every day something might break.Hope I'm wrong
nasty2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
rainey85

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post

Hey Jeff, I sent you a PM about getting some info from you. Hope to hear back from you soon. Thanks, Lori

rainey85 is offline   Reply With Quote