Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-30-2019, 02:23 AM   #15
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
The solid isolator rattles at idle in a manual. GM says its normal and call it a "flutter". I have had 3 spring isolated super chargers replaced, each lasted around 20k miles. The 4th one was replaced around 50-60k miles and has the solid isolater and the "flutter" . It sounds like crap and like a marble bouncing around. I've complained about it hoping they had a fix every time I took it in, all the way up to the 120k warranty expiration. I guess it has over 100k miles on it at this point and It hasn't broken yet, so there's that, but man it sounds like shit and I've never gotten used to it. Makes me die a little on the inside every time...

Your boost seems low though, so maybe yours is actually broken.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #16
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
The solid isolator rattles at idle in a manual. GM says its normal and call it a "flutter". I have had 3 spring isolated super chargers replaced, each lasted around 20k miles. The 4th one was replaced around 50-60k miles and has the solid isolater and the "flutter" . It sounds like crap and like a marble bouncing around. I've complained about it hoping they had a fix every time I took it in, all the way up to the 120k warranty expiration. I guess it has over 100k miles on it at this point and It hasn't broken yet, so there's that, but man it sounds like shit and I've never gotten used to it. Makes me die a little on the inside every time...

Your boost seems low though, so maybe yours is actually broken.
Not sure what would cause this as my GM replacement which is solid has never rattled at idle nor has any of my close friends who have had theirs replaced.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:41 PM   #17
Igor95

Drives: N/A
Wow @vroom. Not sure whether to be impressed at your patience or the fact that your zl1 has 175k miles. Mine only has 11k miles, and I really don't want to be "that guy" showing up to the dealer for every little noise, but it's really annoying, especially with the boost issue. I don't want to void the warranty putting in the solid isolator at a different shop either...
Igor95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:01 PM   #18
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Initially GM replaced the SC which had a solid isolator; not long after they switched to a grease packed spring loaded isolator. As far as I know they still use this version. Honestly I wouldn't bring it in for this issue. Just replace it with a solid isolator and call it a day. Not worth the constant aggravation. I swapped by mine to a solid version in 2014 and it's been fine ever since. As for boost, stock is 9 psi which you should confirm by data logging with a scan tool (I hope you're not looking at the console gauge at WOT ) and comes on instantly at WOT which is the main benefit of a PD SC.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:40 PM   #19
LD18SS

Well mines a 13 and 2 days ago started the rattling, taking it to Chevy Thursday they prob won’t replace it on warranty tho cause I have headers, CAI, no cats and a tune but I’m gonna try if they won’t ill get a solid isolator put in at my buddy’s shop
LD18SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:33 AM   #20
Igor95

Thanks Drk. Can you recommend one?
Either this one: https://www.amazon.com/LSX-Innovatio.../dp/B07B1Q9KDX
OR a Metco. I've been reading that Metco rattles as well.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #21
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Stick to the LPE version and you will be fine. Hit or miss with some of the other ones out there.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lpe-l960202012/
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:40 PM   #22
Vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Not sure what would cause this as my GM replacement which is solid has never rattled at idle nor has any of my close friends who have had theirs replaced.
I'm lucky to see one ZL1 a year and yet all your close friends have one?! Tell your friends to save some ZL1s for the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor95 View Post
Wow @vroom. Not sure whether to be impressed at your patience or the fact that your zl1 has 175k miles. Mine only has 11k miles, and I really don't want to be "that guy" showing up to the dealer for every little noise, but it's really annoying, especially with the boost issue. I don't want to void the warranty putting in the solid isolator at a different shop either...
There's no harm in asking and you have 10 years/120k miles worth of coverage. Generally its better to go in and ask and have them tell you its fine on record vs not doing anything and them saying you were negligent and void the warranty of it and anything damaged by it. I know it can be a pain to go through the process, but at least you'll have peace of mind. Then just go enjoy the car. Whatever happens, happens.

That's how I survive. I just remember how much fun the car is and I can replace the engine for a fraction of the price for a new car. That's if you could find a car the even compares to the Z.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:46 AM   #23
Igor95

Awesome, thanks guys.