Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Anybody know anything about Cameras?

My 20th birthday is coming up next month, and I am trying to decide between getting a new guitar or a nice camera. I've never actually owned a camera, I've always just used my phone, so I was curious to know if it was worth it to spend money on a good camera when I will have my iphone 5S to take photos? Is the picture quality that much better to justify the purchase?

The camera would have to be in the $300 range max. Any info is appreciated!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Oh hell yes. I don't have a super nice camera but the picture quality compared to my phones' is much better.

I'm not an expert by any means but Canon seems to make good cameras. I have a Powershot SX150. If you're looking for a DSLR you'll easily reach your budget.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
KeepItShut

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
A $300-400 camera will take way better pictures than your iPhone. Nikon and Canon make good hybrids in that range.
KeepItShut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
rykeith

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT M6
A "good" camera will take awesome pictures compared to the iphone camera. I only know a little about photography, but image sensor sizes in cameras give you a rough estimate of the quality of photos you can take with a particular camera. A good size image sensor on a decent ($400-$600) DSLR will produce images leaps and bounds above the comparatively small image sensor on any phone. I may be wrong, but I think you might be hard-pressed to find a brand new camera a whole lot better than the iphone in the $300-and-under range.

Here's an article I found helpful when buying a new camera: http://www.gizmag.com/camera-sensor-size-guide/26684/
Old 09-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
I would say for $300 get a camera. That would be a crappy guitar for $300 unless you found a steal in a pawn shop somewhere...PRS and ESP for me.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Aubrey64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
I would say for $300 get a camera. That would be a crappy guitar for $300 unless you found a steal in a pawn shop somewhere...PRS and ESP for me.
Well, if I was gonna get a guitar, I would pay the difference since I want a 12 string Martin or a banjo. But since i am new to cameras, I wouldn't want to pay more than a couple hundred dollars for one.

But thanks guys for the info! I am gonna go to best buy this week and look at a couple different cameras, and then make a decision!
Old 09-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
It all depends on what you want to take pictures of and what you want to do with them.

Snapshots are fine on an 8 MP phone camera. So if you aren't making prints and you are only sharing on line then don't waste your money. For $300 you aren't getting that much better.

Now if you want to learn photography skip past any small camera and go right to a DSLR. An SLR will give you the flexibility in lens choices, shutter and aperture adjustments that will allow much better pictures.

My opinion, and I'm not an expert but I've been into photography for many years, you aren't getting much more than your iphone 5 with a little point and shoot. A point and shoot will have a better lens and a better flash. So your indoor photos will be better. You will also likely have at least a little of bit of optical zoom with a point and shoot. Your iphone will only be digital zoom. So if you plan on taking shots at a distance you will notice a bigger difference.

It's just a continuum of use. I use my iphone more and more and leave my DSLR at home more often simply for the convenience. Unless I am indoors, my iphone does a decent job. Of course my DSLR is a few years old and is only a 10 MP camera.

So can you describe the types of pictures you want to take?
Old 09-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Aubrey64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
It all depends on what you want to take pictures of and what you want to do with them.

Snapshots are fine on an 8 MP phone camera. So if you aren't making prints and you are only sharing on line then don't waste your money. For $300 you aren't getting that much better.

Now if you want to learn photography skip past any small camera and go right to a DSLR. An SLR will give you the flexibility in lens choices, shutter and aperture adjustments that will allow much better pictures.

My opinion, and I'm not an expert but I've been into photography for many years, you aren't getting much more than your iphone 5 with a little point and shoot. A point and shoot will have a better lens and a better flash. So your indoor photos will be better. You will also likely have at least a little of bit of optical zoom with a point and shoot. Your iphone will only be digital zoom. So if you plan on taking shots at a distance you will notice a bigger difference.

It's just a continuum of use. I use my iphone more and more and leave my DSLR at home more often simply for the convenience. Unless I am indoors, my iphone does a decent job. Of course my DSLR is a few years old and is only a 10 MP camera.

Really, all I will be taking pictures of is my dog and camaro The reason I started thinking about getting one is because I was looking through all the pictures I've taken of my dog over the years and thought it may be nice to have some really nice quality pictures of her while she is still young. But if the quality isn't going to be THAT much better for my budget, i don't know if it would be worth it
Old 09-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
nikon coolpix will fit your price range
batman53201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey64 View Post
Well, if I was gonna get a guitar, I would pay the difference since I want a 12 string Martin or a banjo. But since i am new to cameras, I wouldn't want to pay more than a couple hundred dollars for one.

But thanks guys for the info! I am gonna go to best buy this week and look at a couple different cameras, and then make a decision!
In that case get the guitar. The iPhone can take really good pics.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
I photograph a lot, and I would recommend saving for a Nikon One. It's basically a dslr, point and shoot hybrid.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey64 View Post
Really, all I will be taking pictures of is my dog and camaro The reason I started thinking about getting one is because I was looking through all the pictures I've taken of my dog over the years and thought it may be nice to have some really nice quality pictures of her while she is still young. But if the quality isn't going to be THAT much better for my budget, i don't know if it would be worth it
this! If you are not really going to be doing any medium or large prints and mainly doing pics to post online/FB/etc, then your phone will be fine.

I know we have a lot of great photographers on this site that would be more than helpful if you do ever want to go the DSLR route. I shoot mainly Nikon, have a D7000 and D90 that I love.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote