Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #29
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
DO NOT do this yourself. It would almost be as bad as making a card board body kit. I dont know who quoted you for over a thousand dollars for some stripes, but they are crazy, people get whole paint jobs for that down here. Go to a smaller town where there is a reputable body shop.
If you really want cheap you could go to maaco but my money would be on the rattle can at that point...

A thousand bucks sounds kinda high but remember there is actually a lot of work involved in a good stripe job and more importantly remember that good work is never cheap and cheap work is never good...
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #30
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
Anyone who took a '10 Camaro to Maaco deserves to have their car taken away. That's just blasphemy.
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #31
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
Ok so i talked to my husband (he is a ppg paint technitian) and this is his recommendation.

Go to an automotive store, get a 1 kit of sims hot rod black (HR60 he thinks), it comes with one quart of flat black, 8 oz of hardener and reducer. It is the only true flat black that wont chalk out and doesnt require flat clear. He said it goes for $60.

If you dont want to spend the money you can tape it off yourself, and spray it out of a spray gun. He says never go with aerosol.

It's pointless to spend $30k on a car and then half ass the paint which is one of the most important features.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #32
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
It's pointless to spend $30k on a car and then half ass the paint which is one of the most important features.
That's a matter of opinion. To me, RWD, 300hp@30mpg, 6MT, modern conveniences, $22,000 price, and new car reliability are far more important...but then I won't be putting stripes on mine. It will look great but I'm going to enjoy it mainly for non-aesthetic reasons.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #33
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
paint is important, looks are important, otherwise people wouldnt complain about every little thing, the headlights, the bumper, the gas cap, the placement of reverse lights. If it was all about performance none of that would matter.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #34
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Wouldn't even imagine doing something like that. If so I'd have to have a very qualifed customizer do it. Even then I probably wouldn't.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #35
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KZ28_For_Now View Post
custom-ordered stripes are ALWAYS available.
Do you mean through the dealership? I thought most dealers wouldn't do custom stripes.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #36
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
Vinyl Stripes are the way to go. Easy to apply, affordable, can be easily/quickly removed with ZERO damage to your car's finish. I've had vinyl stripes on my current car for over 4 years now. I had one replaced due to some tears from rock chips a few months ago, and the original came off with zero problems. Get your car to look the way you want, but without any permanent changes when it comes time to trade it in or sell it.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #37
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Do you mean through the dealership? I thought most dealers wouldn't do custom stripes.
Dealerships will do just about anything for the right price...
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:14 AM   #38
reefdiver

Drives: Cheverlot
What! They have an instant stripe package available in a can down at Home Depot? See its talk like that ("spray can stripes") which leads to categorizing all of us Camaro drivers as "red necks, white trash, and gumbas". Please get vinyl stripes if you cannot afford to do it right!
reefdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #39
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Go to your local paint supply shop and ask if they know anybody who paints at home in their spare time. Sometimes you can find someone who is retired but still does small jobs for some extra income. You need to meet them and see where they paint to be sure they know what they are doing.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #40
boatingbent

Drives: 69 Pontiac Firebird
Do not try and do this yourself and especially with a Spray Can ...You will never be happy ....Go to a Body shop and pay the Money to have it done correct ...But make sure they use SATA Spray guns to do it with ...HEHEHEHE ....I just happen to own Sata Spray Equipment
3300, Order scheduled for production
3400, Order broadcast
3800, Order produced..2G1FT1EW4A9125913
Delivered to me July 28th
boatingbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #41
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
So I plan on getting my Camaro in black and then adding matte black stripes to it like the SPecial Edition 500KR. So I was google'ing info on vynyl stripe kits just to get an idea of how much they cost because paint is an arm/leg and came across this article about painting your own stripes:

...your other option is actual paint. As long as you know how to mask off areas and work a spray paint can you are more than qualified to put basic racing stripes on your ride. You can even customize the color of certain exterior parts this way. For example, if you wanted to paint your rocker panel silver and your truck is red. I don't advise getting too wild - don't drink a pint of whiskey then attempt to paint a dragon on your mustang, but if you want basic color change options, this is easy and dirt cheap. Simply select the spray paint in the color you'd like. Make sure you're purchasing auto body paint, not generic spray paint. The generic stuff will work, but the auto body ones are designed for more weather conditions. You may also want to get a primer and some fine sandpaper.
Mask of the areas which you do not want to paint. I highly suggest literally masking everything with tarps because over spray can ruin your month. Be sure that your tape lines are precise. Prep your vehicle as directed on the primer can then spray your new color. I suggest spraying several light layers to avoid drippage. Oh, and here's a tip - don't paint under a tree or near anything that can blow stuff into your wet paint. If a leaf falls into your paint your going to have a hell of a time trying to make it look smooth.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ms.html?page=2

Does anybody know if this is a truly feasible option or done it themselves? I'd hate to ruin my paint job if I made a mistake, but honestly I think I can capably do this, especially being that I wouldn't be appying a glossy color. Any thoughts?
If you can't afford the stripes painted by an expert then don't get them!!! Also if you can't afford the Camaro then don't get it either. YOU WILL BE LAUGHED OUT OF TOWN if you rattle can stripes on a $30,000 + car!!!
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #42
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Oy...this thread has been dead for over a year...

1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote