Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #43
rd-camaro

Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
is there a technique or even video to show how to blow dry off the water? just curious...looking for some tips to save me some frustration when i attempt this..
Corsa Catback, Injen Wrinkle Black Short Ram Intake, 8000k BI XENON Bulbs, LED Fog Bulbs, RX Oil Catch Can, VMax Black Ice-olater, CNC spiral ported Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, BBK LT Ceramic Silver Headers

TEAM LLT

Ordered: June 2009
Born: September 2009
Delivered: October 2009
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #44
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd-camaro View Post
is there a technique or even video to show how to blow dry off the water? just curious...looking for some tips to save me some frustration when i attempt this..
Junkman has a video on 'sheeting' rinse which basically is letting a stream of water flow from top down. This technique leave very little water standing on the car.

I then blow dry from the top down and pay attention to areas where water can stand. Examples are, the roof rails, the XM/OnStar antenna, trunk, hood, along the doors and glass and the grill.

Hope that helps
Old 09-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #45
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Junkman has a video on 'sheeting' rinse which basically is letting a stream of water flow from top down. This technique leave very little water standing on the car.

I then blow dry from the top down and pay attention to areas where water can stand. Examples are, the roof rails, the XM/OnStar antenna, trunk, hood, along the doors and glass and the grill.

Hope that helps
Good advice. I am doing a new wash video where I show the entire process. Stay tuned.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #46
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Junkman, i believe that would help a lot of people out. Can't wait to watch.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #47
Gramps

Drives: 2011 1LT/RJT/Auto/
"Anytime that you touch the paint is an opportunity to scratch the paint. It is that simple. If you can avoid touching the paint at any time, you have also just avoided the possibility to create any damage. That's why I blow dry my car.

If you do have to touch the paint, doing so immediately after washing would be the safest time to do so"

...key word here from the junkman himself is "HAVE". Why would anybody HAVE to apply (and then wipe off) detail spray during the drying cycle? Therein lies the question, and subsequent obvious answer.

Junkman I will say one thing about you man....I love you telling it like it is, and I like your videos because you usually are detailing some older, weather-beaten car that just looked like it went through hell and back....NOT some Ferrari or Porsche (who's owners take better care of their darn cars...than they take care of themselves).

You're straight forward, and you detail cars for the love of it, not the income from it. I'm into computer data systems, and detailing cars is just something I have always loved doing.

...keeping it simple, keeping it real.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #48
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Well Gramps, this next video series will consist of some American muscle, albeit in a lot better shape than the Mean O' Camino. My Corvette is the only car that I take care of. Everything else never sees a drop of soap, although they do see as much rain, sleet, snow and salt as Kentucky can through at them (and they also have the rust to show for it too).

They ain't pretty, but they are fun to drive! Thanks for watching.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #49
testmule
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
This is my procedure:

1) Rinse car thoroughly with water to remove as much dirt as possible.
2) Foam entire car thoroughly once to allow soap to help remove remaining dirt.
3) Foam car quickly again to help the removed dirt wash away.
4) Start foaming sections of the car starting at the top and working your way down.
5) I use a soft wash mitt for the top, hood and trunk. I use another soft mitt for the sides and then use a sponge for the very bottom of the vehicle and wheels since there is where most of the dirt would be and I don't want to dirty my best mitt. Check your wash mitts frequently to make sure there is no dirt on it so you won't scratch your car.
6) Rinse car thoroughly. Take off any attachments to your hose and then allow water to sheet off the car starting at the top. If you have previously waxed your car this will keep your drying to a minimum.
7) I use a waffle weave drying towel and then starting at the top to dry off the car. Check your drying towel before starting to make sure there is no dirt in it. I usually wash my drying towel with clean water before and after using.
8) I then use a high quality microfiber towel to blot (not rub) the remaining water off.
9) I also dry the inside of the hood, trunk and doors with a seperate microfiber towel.

I can wash and dry my Camaro by myself in 30-45 minutes. If you have someone that can help with the drying you can shave off about 10 minutes.

I also use a 5 gallon bucket but only to store my cleaning products since the foam gun does all the work for me.
Man, I'm glad I saw this. Brilliant!
testmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:57 AM   #50
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Heres mine

First Time Wash/Wax:
Rinse
Foam Gun w/dawn (Let sit)
Rinse
Foam Gun (Let sit)
Rinse
Foam Gun
Wash car (wash bucket, wipe, rinse bucket, repeat)
-2 mits, 1 top of car (to bottom of window) 2 bottom of car (bottom of windows to rocker panel)
Rinse
Clay
Rinse
Foam Gun
Wash
Rinse
Dry (leaf blower)
Towel dry remaining spots
Polish
Wax
Enjoy

Regular Mainenace:
Rinse
Foam Gun (Let sit)
Rinse
Foam Gun
Wash car (wash bucket, wipe, rinse bucket, repeat)
-2 mits, 1 top of car (to bottom of window) 2 bottom of car (bottom of windows to rocker panel)
Rinse
Dry (leaf blower)
Towel dry remaining spots
Wax
Enjoy

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:25 AM   #51
J4R3D

Drives: '11 5.0 Order Canceled...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Anytime that you touch the paint is an opportunity to scratch the paint. It is that simple. If you can avoid touching the paint at any time, you have also just avoided the possibility to create any damage. That's why I blow dry my car.

If you do have to touch the paint, doing so immediately after washing would be the safest time to do so.
In my other thread you said it was ok to wax by hand with a micro fiber.

I hate my ocd!
Old 10-29-2010, 02:30 AM   #52
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4R3D View Post
In my other thread you said it was ok to wax by hand with a micro fiber.

I hate my ocd!
Well of course you have to touch the paint to wax. Junkman is just making a point that the less you touch it, the less damage you can impart on your paint. In a hypothetical sense, if you NEVER touched your paint (highly unlikely) then you couldn't get any swirls at all. Obviously that's not possible in the real world, but he's just illustrating his point.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:41 AM   #53
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

What he said.