Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
68 Z/28
Father Time

Drives: 1967 Malibu / 2002 Caddy DTS
Send a message via Yahoo to 68 Z/28
Anyone Remember the EV1

Saw an interesting show on the green network , ( Who Killed the Electric Car) was wondering how many others saw it ?

GM why did you abandon the EV1 seems there was quite a bit of interest in it , and I wonder how much of the tech. from the EV1 is going into the Volt , why start from scratch GM , why didn't you keep developing the EV1 ? Seems like such a waste of time , money and materials to just scrap all of those cars hope that kind of waste is all behind them now

68 Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
over half of the Gen I EV1s were recalled due to a potential fire hazard during charging.
plus the cost of production, upkeep, and parts/storage came into effect as well. it was a cool idea for those who drive less than 100 miles between charges, but having a built in generator (the Volt) opens the door for much longer travel... if you so wished.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
It cost more to maintain the cars than was economically feasible. Not to mention the limited range and impracticality of only two seats.

Volt is light-years ahead of the EV1's technology anyways.

And who said GM started from scratch? The Volt incorporates many of the lessons learned from the EV1 program, just vastly improved.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
68 Z/28
Father Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
over half of the Gen I EV1s were recalled due to a potential fire hazard during charging.
plus the cost of production, upkeep, and parts/storage came into effect as well. it was a cool idea for those who drive less than 100 miles between charges, but having a built in generator (the Volt) opens the door for much longer travel... if you so wished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
It cost more to maintain the cars than was economically feasible. Not to mention the limited range and impracticality of only two seats.

Volt is light-years ahead of the EV1's technology anyways.

And who said GM started from scratch? The Volt incorporates many of the lessons learned from the EV1 program, just vastly improved.
Why crush them though , they had an offer of over a million for the 78 that were left , seems like such a waste

Old 11-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Z/28 View Post
Why crush them though , they had an offer of over a million for the 78 that were left , seems like such a waste
The same reason GM can't sell IVER cars to the public and has to crush them. Liability.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
68 Z/28
Father Time

Quote:
The same reason GM can't sell IVER cars to the public and has to crush them. Liability.
These cars were leased to the public , they could have sold them but they chose to collect them and crush them , instead of letting the ppl that leased them purchase them seems funny to me

Old 11-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
These cars were leased to the public , they could have sold them but they chose to collect them and crush them , instead of letting the ppl that leased them purchase them seems funny to me
Okay, think about this for a second.

GM allows you to have one of the EV1s.

Something breaks down in it.

You head to AutoZone and ask for the part. The guy at the counter gives you a weird look and says he's never heard of it before.

You go to your dealership and ask for the part. The service writer says he's not sure what part you're looking for, then looks at your car and says he's never had one of these in for service ever, and the only places trained to service this vehicle were where they were leased.

You end up calling a parts supplier who supplied parts for the EV1 and ask for the part, and they tell you that due to a lack of parts demand and the limited production for the EV1, nobody makes parts anymore.

Or...

GM allows you to own an EV1.

Some electrical problems occur and your car catches on fire.

You sue GM for selling you a car that caught on fire.

Trust me, there were very valid reasons for crushing the EV1s. The technology was still largely unproven during that time, and GM wasn't sure whether or not it would hold up after time. If something failed and an injury or death resulted, GM would be in a LOT of trouble.

Take for example the Equinox Fuel Cell vehicles built by GM. There are plenty of people driving those around...but they will be collected and crushed by GM once they're done with the program. It doesn't matter how many people whine and moan about it, GM can't take that kind of risk, because again, if something goes wrong, GM will take the fall for it.

The reason it seems funny to you is because that's what the movie was intended to do, make people question why GM would do such a thing. The movie is basically a huge conspiracy theory to get people to think GM was trying to steer people away from electric cars and into trucks and SUVs. The problem is, it doesn't present all the facts regarding the program. All it tells you is that GM had built an electric car, but then decided to screw it and crushed them all. It doesn't tell you any rationale behind the decision.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
68 Z/28
Father Time

Quote:

You head to AutoZone and ask for the part. The guy at the counter gives you a weird look and says he's never heard of it before.

You go to your dealership and ask for the part. The service writer says he's not sure what part you're looking for, then looks at your car and says he's never had one of these in for service ever, and the only places trained to service this vehicle were where they were leased.

You end up calling a parts supplier who supplied parts for the EV1 and ask for the part, and they tell you that due to a lack of parts demand and the limited production for the EV1, nobody makes parts anymore.

Or...

Trust me, there were very valid reasons for crushing the EV1s. The technology was still largely unproven during that time, and GM wasn't sure whether or not it would hold up after time. If something failed and an injury or death resulted, GM would be in a LOT of trouble.

Take for example the Equinox Fuel Cell vehicles built by GM. There are plenty of people driving those around...but they will be collected and crushed by GM once they're done with the program. It doesn't matter how many people whine and moan about it, GM can't take that kind of risk, because again, if something goes wrong, GM will take the fall for it.

The reason it seems funny to you is because that's what the movie was intended to do, make people question why GM would do such a thing. The movie is basically a huge conspiracy theory to get people to think GM was trying to steer people away from electric cars and into trucks and SUVs. The problem is, it doesn't present all the facts regarding the program. All it tells you is that GM had built an electric car, but then decided to screw it and crushed them all. It doesn't tell you any rationale behind the decision.
well when you put it that way , makes sense , damn I wish I had a brain

Old 11-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
well, part of the CARB certification process includes stocking parts for vehicles for no less than 15 years. the few that didnt get crushed were sent to museums and schools for educational purposes with certain drive train components removed so they could no longer be driveable. in fact GM got into a lawsuit against one group who restored an EV1 and drove it down the road as it was a breach of contract.

with a car that the first gen only had about 800 or so vehicles over a few years and the second gen had less than that, it doesnt make sense for GM to keep them alive. cus then they are a liability. if someone goes and drives one, something breaks, that person wants the part and its been less than 15 years, gm can be sued for not stocking a part for a production vehicle.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 11-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
68 Z/28
Father Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
well, part of the CARB certification process includes stocking parts for vehicles for no less than 15 years. the few that didnt get crushed were sent to museums and schools for educational purposes with certain drive train components removed so they could no longer be driveable. in fact GM got into a lawsuit against one group who restored an EV1 and drove it down the road as it was a breach of contract.

with a car that the first gen only had about 800 or so vehicles over a few years and the second gen had less than that, it doesnt make sense for GM to keep them alive. cus then they are a liability. if someone goes and drives one, something breaks, that person wants the part and its been less than 15 years, gm can be sued for not stocking a part for a production vehicle.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #11
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
Thanks Fen! As always you covered everything I was thinking (and more!).

Don 't think that they started from scratch on the Volt...there are always people working on thing behind the scenes that no one hears about...EV1 technology was a building block.
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:

Or...

This is 100% correct, couldn't say it any better.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:53 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Consider the Volt to be the EV2.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Consider the Volt to be the EV2.
I dont. I consider the Volt to be... the Volt. some similar things in it, but the capabilities of the volt are too profound to be considered "the next version"

thats like thinking the Camaro was the Monza II. (oh wait... it kinda was. lol)

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote: