Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Exhaust replacement

Can someone please explain to me the options availiable for exhaust...

Like..what is different from stock to the cat-back...

what would be different from just changing the mufflers...

what are you doing for the best sound with out any other motor modifications..
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
xl1200r

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
The cat-back may have larger diameter pipes, freer-flowing and slightly louder mufflers, and larger diameter tips. There are also likely resonators in the system that the cat-back system will have different ones, or none at all.

If all you want is sound, just changing the mufflers would likely do it, though the resonators may play a role in that as well.

"Best Sound" is too subjective. Every exhaust company has a different sound and you can usually tell what exhuast a car has by that sound. For instance, you can't really confuse Flowmasters for a Corsa, or Magnaflow for a Borla. It all depends on what you're looking for.
xl1200r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljustin293 View Post
Can someone please explain to me the options availiable for exhaust...

Like..what is different from stock to the cat-back...

what would be different from just changing the mufflers...

what are you doing for the best sound with out any other motor modifications..
From the pics' I've seen (and I may not have seen all of them) it looks like we're only getting muffler replacements. The rest of the exhaust seems to have mandrel bends and an X-pipe so that's a good thing. I also understand there are going to be an off-road version in addition to the ?legal? catback. I think I might replace the whole system with an aftermarket catback if I end up going with a supercharger if the OEM system is "only" 2.5-inches in diameter.

Borla, Magnaflow, and I'm sure others, already have catbacks for G8s, so I'm sure it won't take much to get one to fit Camaro If they could only make side exhaust with molding rocker moldings, I'd be in heaven

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
ljustin293

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl1200r View Post
The cat-back may have larger diameter pipes, freer-flowing and slightly louder mufflers, and larger diameter tips. There are also likely resonators in the system that the cat-back system will have different ones, or none at all.

If all you want is sound, just changing the mufflers would likely do it, though the resonators may play a role in that as well.

"Best Sound" is too subjective. Every exhaust company has a different sound and you can usually tell what exhuast a car has by that sound. For instance, you can't really confuse Flowmasters for a Corsa, or Magnaflow for a Borla. It all depends on what you're looking for.
so would I be better off getting the GM catbacks or just getting flowmasters??
Old 11-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Quote:
so would I be better off getting the GM catbacks or just getting flowmasters??
it depends what you want. maybe the stock ss exhaust will sound good....i mean they have a panel of engineers who's job is to 'tune' the exhaust note. for me however, if i'm not satisfied with the factory sound, i will be installing flowmaster.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:17 AM   #6
ljustin293

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker6969 View Post
it depends what you want. maybe the stock ss exhaust will sound good....i mean they have a panel of engineers who's job is to 'tune' the exhaust note. for me however, if i'm not satisfied with the factory sound, i will be installing flowmaster.
I'm still confused on what to do...I want to get the best sound for the least amount of money for now...so what would be my best route to go?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:31 AM   #7
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
I'm not too sure what to tell you but if you get pulled over for loud pipes it would seem to me that you could get out of the ticket by showing them this is how it was build and it had to pass regulations.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #8
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
I'm still confused on what to do...I want to get the best sound for the least amount of money for now...so what would be my best route to go?
Also you'll have to consider your warranty. When using GMPP parts, your warranty remains intact. When using aftermarket parts, your dealer could make the case that you've voided your warranty if anything goes wrong. Just something to think about.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:23 AM   #9
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
If you want the best sound, find the company that sounds the way you like and buy their exhaust. The camaro development team spent a bunch of time creating the exahust to sound great so you might like the stock sound.

It's all personal preference.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
wait and listen. We can't tell you what sounds better for 2 reasons.

1) we haven't heard the Camaro with aftermarket exhaust systems
2) our opinion of what sounds better will probably be different from yours
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
Quote:
For the best bang for the buck I would suggest Flowmaster. It has a definite deep powerful, loud sound, and prices are pretty reasonable. I have them on my 69SS, my 2000 RS, and my Silverado. They all sound great. The only draw back is that they have some "drone" right before each shift.

For my 2010 SS I want to go a little different. I am thinking either Corsa or SLP. I feel that the sound of these 2 mufflers fits a modern muscle car better. I'm definitely leaning towards Corsa, deep and race car sounding!
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
Chevyzone

Drives: Chevy's
It's just to early to tell. Personally, I'm gonna wait until I can actually hear the stock system before I make a decision.

Quote:
Chevyzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
not wasting money on mufflers. just gonna get STS to replace my mufflers with turbos.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #14
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
I'll be going with all GMP parts, but in all honesty if you want the meanest sounds...slap some Cherry Bombs on there. I had a '74 Firebird with those and it was bad ass.
1_2Many is offline   Reply With Quote