Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-02-2014, 01:45 AM   #15
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
The install of the radius arm bushing is done. I bought a Kent Moore removal tool and that with some heat and a hammer was able to bet the ball joints removed. I did have to modify the tool to clear the corners of the nut and also buy a longer bolt but I am still only into is $25. The rest of the job was easy. I used my press to remove the stock bushings and press in the new. I marked the bushings to help in getting them centered. They are .400" in from the edge. I am getting the alignment today so I will know later how it feels compared to stock.
what size bolt did you buy. I just bought that tool.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #16
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
My pfadts are in and I have about 500 miles on them. I HATE THEM! Yes I got the alignment. The front end sounds broken, it pops and clicks with even the slightest movement, I have an annoying vibration at speed that starts at about 50 if you drive straight long enough it goes away, until you change speed, or change lanes, god forbid turn. I used a front end service ball joint removal and press kit to get them off, the driver side was a nightmare still, but the passenger side came right off. If I broke something you would think they would have caught it during the alignment.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #17
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
My pfadts are in and I have about 500 miles on them. I HATE THEM! Yes I got the alignment. The front end sounds broken, it pops and clicks with even the slightest movement, I have an annoying vibration at speed that starts at about 50 if you drive straight long enough it goes away, until you change speed, or change lanes, god forbid turn. I used a front end service ball joint removal and press kit to get them off, the driver side was a nightmare still, but the passenger side came right off. If I broke something you would think they would have caught it during the alignment.
Pull out the bolt and nut on the cradle side and try and spin the bushing... I had a problem where the Loctite broke free (on both sides). The little .05oz tube per side was not enough to hold the bushing.

I bought a bottle of the stuff off amazon, cleaned up the bushings/arms and then used plenty of the Loctite 620, let it cure for 3 days. I haven't had a noise/problem since even after autox and road trips.

Here is the link to amazon for the Loctite:

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Temper...ds=loctite+620
Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #18
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stache View Post
Pull out the bolt and nut on the cradle side and try and spin the bushing... I had a problem where the Loctite broke free (on both sides). The little .05oz tube per side was not enough to hold the bushing.

I bought a bottle of the stuff off amazon, cleaned up the bushings/arms and then used plenty of the Loctite 620, let it cure for 3 days. I haven't had a noise/problem since even after autox and road trips.
Awesome! I ordered the new style strut upper isolators and will order a tube of that as well and redo it all. Thanks!

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 PM   #19
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Get the car up high enough to hit the stud with a really heavy hammer/sledge. Pickle fork will ruin the boot and its non-serviceable. Although if you go that route you can just buy a new radius rod, I think they're $25 or something along those lines and not too rough on the wallet.
DO NOT HAMMER ANYTHING. YOU WILL ALSO DAMAGE THE RACK INTERNALS IF THE TIE ROD END IS STILL IN TACT. ALSO WILL DAMAGE THE KNUCKLE.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 PM   #20
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Is this something specific to the Pfadt set up or should someone running the White line bushings look into the locktite prior to install?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #21
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
Awesome! I ordered the new style strut upper isolators and will order a tube of that as well and redo it all. Thanks!
Order the Loctite 638 instead. It's stronger than 620. First clean the surface of both the Pfadt bushing and the interior of the radius arm, then apply the Loctite coating both surfaces totally. Push the bush in and wipe off the excess with a tissue, then apply the locking spring. keep in a warm area and honestly I let mine sit for 3 days and never had a creak, crackle of pop out of them. I've done 4 sets so far with great results and actually just replaced the last set that went bad in my car after 30000 miles of pothole, winter salt hard cornering you name it. The salt killed them though so don't use in winter.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:16 PM   #22
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
The install of the radius arm bushing is done. I bought a Kent Moore removal tool and that with some heat and a hammer was able to bet the ball joints removed. I did have to modify the tool to clear the corners of the nut and also buy a longer bolt but I am still only into is $25. The rest of the job was easy. I used my press to remove the stock bushings and press in the new. I marked the bushings to help in getting them centered. They are .400" in from the edge. I am getting the alignment today so I will know later how it feels compared to stock.
The Pfadt radius bush is more stable at speeds over the Pedders red bush but the steering response is better with the Pedders bush. Here is a picture of my drivers side arm going in this weekend.
Attached Images

Last edited by L99CAMA2011; 04-18-2014 at 12:22 PM.