Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
What driveshaft do I need to hook up ZL1 diff to my M6?

Need to know what my options are for driveshafts to hook up a 3.73 ZL1 diff to my M6 tranny. I think the stock ZL1 manual driveshaft is the right one. Correct? Any other options out there? Can the SS driveshaft be cut/welded to work?
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
you would either need a SS front and the ZL1 back or an aftermarket shaft, the ZL1 has larger bolts so the front would not bolt up correctly if trying to use the entire ZL1 shaft.
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
Js2fst
2010 transformer

Drives: 2010 ss camaro
Do a zl1 conversion from gm. Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 990
Size:  96.5 KB here is a DRIVESHAFT SHOPp 2nd pass on 20 in nitto 555 tires. You should see the 7 half shafts they sent all wrong sizes and hp rating 2 same sides, then to get the correct ones I ordered dss charged me for the correct ones I paid mail 14x's. They I claimed I ordered a 1000 hp and 1400 hp half shaft both passenger sides! How crazy is that.

But while I sat waiting on a tow truck ($350 bill) two cars with more power were making multiple passes on stock drive shafts. I sat with a improperly welded driveshaft.
2010 transformer, vertical doors, 315nt05 rears, pedders supercar coilovers, hotchkis sway bars, links, adjustable, toe bars, bmr poly cradle bushings, 1le control arms, bmr tunnel brace, bmr subframe connectors. Cam 227/239-623-620@114 Mast medium bore heads, sw 1 7/8 headers, cat delete, x pipe, 3" dynomax true duals, fuel rails, fast 102 intake and NW 102 throttle body, catch can, rotofab cai, shifter, raptor custom shift light. Dss drive shaft, 3.91 gears. 492 rwhp
Js2fst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
cc-rider

Ouch. Sorry to hear that you went through all that. Sounds like a shitty day at the track (and expensive).
Old 10-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
you would either need a SS front and the ZL1 back or an aftermarket shaft, the ZL1 has larger bolts so the front would not bolt up correctly if trying to use the entire ZL1 shaft.
This is very interesting. Didn't know that you could combine the front half from an SS with the rear from a ZL1. Do they mate right up without any special parts? Do I need the rear section from an auto ZL1 or a manual ZL1 shaft?
Old 10-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Call Andy at ADM, he will hook you up.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
swiftkart

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
This is very interesting. Didn't know that you could combine the front half from an SS with the rear from a ZL1. Do they mate right up without any special parts? Do I need the rear section from an auto ZL1 or a manual ZL1 shaft?
You just badmouthed his company online and then you expect him to answer you question, interesting.
swiftkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #8
Js2fst
2010 transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftkart View Post
You just badmouthed his company online and then you expect him to answer you question, interesting.
sorry I bad mouth frank and tad I am calling Andy at adm even though I have a spare dss. (Another motovicity and dss multiple screw ups. I am sure this one won't last either
2010 transformer, vertical doors, 315nt05 rears, pedders supercar coilovers, hotchkis sway bars, links, adjustable, toe bars, bmr poly cradle bushings, 1le control arms, bmr tunnel brace, bmr subframe connectors. Cam 227/239-623-620@114 Mast medium bore heads, sw 1 7/8 headers, cat delete, x pipe, 3" dynomax true duals, fuel rails, fast 102 intake and NW 102 throttle body, catch can, rotofab cai, shifter, raptor custom shift light. Dss drive shaft, 3.91 gears. 492 rwhp
Old 10-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #9
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftkart View Post
I didn't badmouth anyone. Perhaps Js2fst did...but I certainly did not.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #10
swiftkart

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
I didn't badmouth anyone. Perhaps Js2fst did...but I certainly did not.
You are correct, my bad, I thought Js2fst was asking the question, i missed where it was you asking,
swiftkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #11
cc-rider

So I've been reading my ass off trying to figure this out. A lot of confusing information out there.

From what I can gather...the stock manual zl1 driveshaft will work for length and certainly mates up to the zl1 diff in the rear...but up at the tranny end, it needs either a new trans flange, or a custom coupler (because the zl1 uses larger bolts than the ss). Is this correct?

And if that's correct...

Does the stock ZL1 trans flange fit on the SS output shaft? And how much of a pain is this to change out?

Or....Does anyone make a custom coupler that would allow me to connect the zl1 shaft to the stock SS trans flange (2 different bolt sizes)?
Old 10-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
Driveshaftshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2fst View Post
Do a zl1 conversion from gm. Attachment 825938 here is a DRIVESHAFT SHOPp 2nd pass on 20 in nitto 555 tires. You should see the 7 half shafts they sent all wrong sizes and hp rating 2 same sides, then to get the correct ones I ordered dss charged me for the correct ones I paid mail 14x's. They I claimed I ordered a 1000 hp and 1400 hp half shaft both passenger sides! How crazy is that.

But while I sat waiting on a tow truck ($350 bill) two cars with more power were making multiple passes on stock drive shafts. I sat with a improperly welded driveshaft.
My guess is this is the gentleman that bought the parts used from a Vendor with no inner stubs and only the rear plate for a ZL1 from us correct ?
Old 10-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #13
Driveshaftshop

Quote:
So I've been reading my ass off trying to figure this out. A lot of confusing information out there.

From what I can gather...the stock manual zl1 driveshaft will work for length and certainly mates up to the zl1 diff in the rear...but up at the tranny end, it needs either a new trans flange, or a custom coupler (because the zl1 uses larger bolts than the ss). Is this correct?

And if that's correct...

Does the stock ZL1 trans flange fit on the SS output shaft? And how much of a pain is this to change out?

Or....Does anyone make a custom coupler that would allow me to connect the zl1 shaft to the stock SS trans flange (2 different bolt sizes)?
The ZL1 shaft is a different length and the 3 finger part that mounts to the trans has different splines.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:19 PM   #14
Js2fst
2010 transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
My guess is this is the gentleman that bought the parts used from a Vendor with no inner stubs and only the rear plate for a ZL1 from us correct ?

Nope and you drop shipped half shafts brand new from frank and tad. Frank said he said he didn't have any made. I got from Steve on here he contacted motovicity and Brett. They said they had them and could ship immediately. But they said they had been stolen and couldn't ship immediately. Refund wasn't available they didn't have the money and gave us a production date. I confirmed with frank. They finally got correct half shafts a year late. And got charged extra money for half shafts of $450! And 14 times shipping back and forth. Then at track your driveshaft does this after two passes!Breaks due to improper weld. We thought when we spent over 100,000 in mods we only bought the best parts. We should have bought factory parts. I know you guys don't stand behind your work. tad and Brett has explained this over and over on the half shafts not being correct length.

Last edited by Js2fst; 10-11-2016 at 11:38 PM.