Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
bongono93

Clean under the hood?

I see so many old cars with engines that look brand new due to being washed out. I want to keep mine looking this good but with all the electronics in side of it I dont know how. Anyone have any tips on keeping it looking great?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
bongono93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
http://youtu.be/Jlhvgtp_6vk
Old 06-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I've used Simple Green With a soft brush on the left and right wheel housings and
front tie bar area. Then hose them down with a light spray- No direct wash on the
engine. I just wipe the engine cover and components down with a damp cloth.
My Camaro still looks good/near new after 5 years. I do the same with my Antique cars.
I have seen a video here where they flush the engine itself, but not something I will do.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
I keep the motors on all my cars spotless. "You could eat off of them." How? I use the pre-moisturized wipes - generally not the Armour All type, but the wipes you can buy in a regular store for general household use. Some aerosol glass cleaner on a microfiber rag is good for chrome parts. Rubber hoses wiped down with vinyl/rubber spray (not sprayed on... I spray it in my hand and then massage it into the hoses).

Example is under the hood of my El Camino (still working on her, but is a good example of a cleaned up motor without sprays, water, or power washing!):

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
My trick is to never let it get dirty enough were you'd have to wash it with a power washer

skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #6
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
Try this as I think this works great. Make sure engine is cold. Leave engine cover on to protect electronics, spray everything with Formula 409 (sorry not WD40).

Let it sit a few minutes and hose it down. Then dry off with compressed air. It will look good as new if you do this once a year.

I find engine degreaser is way too strong (unless you have a nasty oiled engine).

Last edited by maddoggyusa; 06-12-2014 at 05:35 PM.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Moisturized wipes wouldn't last a single day at my house. I do 30k miles/year on a car, so the engine bay gets trashed pretty quickly. If it's not road grime from the rain in the wet season, then it's dust and dirt in the summer. Yet the engine bay remains mostly spotless. Here's how. You'll need access to a pressure washer or a coin-op carwash sprayer.

Soak the area with water.
Spray on Simple Green (full strength, undiluted). Let soak for a minute or two.

For real nasty areas (cars that haven't been cleaned often) use a soft bristled brush to really work it in. Sometimes I'll use a car wash mitt specifically for this purpose with a little soap, to hit the underside of the hood, the aprons, radiator support area, plastics, hoses, etc.

High pressure rinse, working the gun from all angles.

Let it drip for a few minutes. If you have an air chuck, now's the time to blow out all the nooks and crannies. Otherwise, just let them dry. I'll sometimes use a towel to dry the underside of the hood and the major visible areas. When that's done, since I have a garage, I'll leave the hood up so the bay can dry out as an extra precaution.

NEVER hit the alternator, fuse box, computers, serpentine pulleys, or electrical connections directly with the spray gun. Also, don't soak them in Simple Green. It's okay if they get wet, but try to keep Simple Green off of them, and never hit them directly.

When you've got a good technique, this whole process should take maybe 20? minutes max. It should leave the engine bay and visible aspects of the engine itself bright and clean.

As an extra precaution, before you start, make sure all fluid caps are tight and that things are buttoned up as they should be, close the windows, and remember, water will really fly everywhere. Give yourself room to work, wear eye protection at a bare minimum.

At minimum, follow up with an exterior wash as well (to get any crud or leftover simple green that may have been blown out of the engine bay).

if I'm doing the engine, I'm probably also doing wheels, tires, fender wells, and visible aspects of the underside, and maybe door jambs too. Same idea there-- soak with water, Simple Green, and then high pressure rinse. Improving technique and efficiency will really cut your time, knowing how/where to spray to get maximum effect.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #8
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Water, microfiber cloth and a lot of labor. But like stated above juat keep up with the xleaning and dont let it get to a point where it gets dirty. The engine bay stays surprising clean for a long time. I've had my car for 3 years and it still looks spotless. I just gave it a wipe once a month and had no problems.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:30 AM   #9
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
Try this as I think this works great. Make sure engine is cold. Leave engine cover on to protect electronics, spray everything with WD40. Let it sit a few minutes and hose it down. Then dry off with compressed air. It will look good as new if you do this once a year.

I find engine degreaser is way too strong (unless you have a nasty oiled engine).
WD40 is flammable and also degrades rubber and certain types of plastics. I don't know that it's something with which I'd douse an entire engine bay. It also collects dirt. It doesn't attract dirt like some people thinks it does, but dirt does stick to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2011 View Post
Water, microfiber cloth and a lot of labor. But like stated above juat keep up with the xleaning and dont let it get to a point where it gets dirty. The engine bay stays surprising clean for a long time. I've had my car for 3 years and it still looks spotless. I just gave it a wipe once a month and had no problems.
I think the point is that this should be a quick and easy (light labor) exercise. That's where a pressure washer or coin-op sprayer really comes in handy. If you're digging dirt out of crevasses with a microfiber towel and using water as your only cleaning agent, well, that sounds like punishment
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:39 AM   #10
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
Try this as I think this works great. Make sure engine is cold. Leave engine cover on to protect electronics, spray everything with WD40. Let it sit a few minutes and hose it down. Then dry off with compressed air. It will look good as new if you do this once a year.

Unless she's your daily driver and you live in the middle of the desert where it needs to be cleaned once a day or else it looks dusty, not to mention that the car is black so it's hard enough keeping the outside clean

sigh
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:39 AM   #11
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
As others have said, the key is just stay on top of it. Engine bays that look bad have been neglected - I mean IGNORED for years!

If you pop the hood once a month, pick the leaves out, wipe the bug guts out of the gaps, clean the painted surfaces and slap a little dressing on the black parts, it'll look good for a long long time.

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #12
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I wash mine being carful with the water trying not to do a direct spray, use a very lite mist. I then use my leaf blower to blow out any water. This is all done of course when the engine is cold. My car is over 4 years and the engine looks brand new, of course my Camaro is not my daily driver so it's stays very clean.
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
ChevyGirl661

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I just stay on top of it. Every wash I wipe it down with a towel (its usually not bad enough to have to do much).
ChevyGirl661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #14
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
i use GUNK spray when it gets bad.