Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #309
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
Cool. Wheelies are always impressive. Maybe we can get Rod1 to add a 200 shot and see if he can lift the front.:emoticon7: Just kidding Rod1. But I bet he'll be juicing to get into the 11's.
Prolly no wheelies lol. If I don't and prolly won't make it into the 11s with my next run, I will send the log to Vince and see waht he thinks before going any farther. I trust him completely. Ive read the the 1st concern with this motor is ring expansion which is prolly less of an issue with nitrous due to its cooling properties. Next run is more to get back on the V8 fast list lol.
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #310
Z Madness

Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Wow, I'm sure you will be back on the list. But man, look at the company you are with. Being in the top 30 is pretty cool. Dang I wish I had access to a quarter mile...
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #311
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
Ya think nitrous would be fine to 425whp or is torque more of an issue?
Boost is easier on internals (in terms of strength) than nitrous or natural aspiration at the same power level, partially because the boost 'cushions' the reversal of the piston/rod assembly (It's a small effect, but apparently enough to make a difference).
Nitrous is more like natural aspiration on crack.

That being said, since we don't know of anyone who's found the various limits of this engine yet, I can't say for sure, but knowing what's in it and comparing to other engines that I do know, I don't think 425whp on nitrous is out of the question by any means, with a good tune. I agree with Vince, in terms of compression ring temperatures specifically, you're better off than you'd be with boost at the same power. Depending on the factory top ring gap and the rings' expansion properties, the extra power (which creates extra heat, of course) may or may not be enough to butt the ends together. I don't know.

If I was into nitrous, I'd go for it. My wife wouldn't like me for a while if I had to buy an expensive junkyard pullout after blowing the warranty, but it'd be fun finding out. I'd call it a sacrifice for the good of the Camaro5 community.

Disclaimer: If you blow anything up, it's not my fault!
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #312
ALLTRBO

Quote:
Wow, I'm sure you will be back on the list. But man, look at the company you are with. Being in the top 30 is pretty cool. Dang I wish I had access to a quarter mile...
Do you have a relatively flat stretch of road where you can relatively safely reach ~120mph? If so, the newer G-tech's and the GPS based timers are very accurate these days. You'd just have to make a few runs in both directions and average the results. It wouldn't be 'officially official', but it'd be good enough for me.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #313
Z Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
Do you have a relatively flat stretch of road where you can relatively safely reach ~120mph? If so, the newer G-tech's and the GPS based timers are very accurate these days. You'd just have to make a few runs in both directions and average the results. It wouldn't be 'officially official', but it'd be good enough for me.
I looked at G-Tech, looks like it works off of the accelerometer. Which ones are GPS? I was about to order a Dashhawk for other readings but this looks better for timing. Any suggestions on the GPS type?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:09 AM   #314
ROD1
Retired

Quote:
Dang I wish I had access to a quarter mile...
SO DO WE! :(
Old 07-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #315
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
I looked at G-Tech, looks like it works off of the accelerometer. Which ones are GPS? I was about to order a Dashhawk for other readings but this looks better for timing. Any suggestions on the GPS type?
I've got an older G-Tech, and a DashHawk, I need to plug them both in and see what happens, lol.

Here's something you might be interested in. It's GPS based, although, I've seen that be off too. Nothing is going to be truly 100% accurate. I think as long as something is consistent, it will give you an idea.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:17 PM   #316
Z Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
I've got an older G-Tech, and a DashHawk, I need to plug them both in and see what happens, lol.

Here's something you might be interested in. It's GPS based, although, I've seen that be off too. Nothing is going to be truly 100% accurate. I think as long as something is consistent, it will give you an idea.
Let me know. I definetely want to get one the these. I know a few stretches of roads I can use. I have a couple of mods coming and I want to see how much difference they make in acceleration. Anybody with experience with any of these please chime in!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #317
ALLTRBO

Sweet.
Yeah, the GPS based units I hadn't looked into until this thread, had only heard about them. I searched, and came up with the one posted above. It's pricier than the new G-tech but it's from a very reputable company who designs much higher end toys (Vbox).
For my Fiero I bought an in-dash GPS speedometer from Speedhut Gauges. http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge...number-821.htm
It also records timing, distance, and acceleration measurements. While this would not be ideal for occasional use, it's great because it'll be cleanly mounted in my dash because, well, it's my speedometer.

The newer 3-accelerometer G-techs are quite accurate, and a GPS unit with a good amount of sat links will be very accurate as well. These have both been tested extensively by many people at drag strips all over, and they're consistently almost dead-on, but they show your actual trap speed which is a little bit higher than the strips because their systems rely on a set of timers at the end that average your car's speed based on the time that passes between each timer being tripped. Since you're still accelerating, this average is a bit lower than your actual speed at the 1/4 mile mark.

The problem you have without a dragstrip is that you usually don't have a perfectly level road, so you need to make averages based on runs in both directions to 'level out' the playing field, if you will. Unless the surface is really screwed up or there are significant elevation changes, this will get you pretty darn close. Most die-hard drag strip junkies won't touch these times in terms of anything being "official", but they're officially accurate.

As for modding and noting the changes, they're a great tool regardless of the accuracy. In that case they only need consistency, which they all have as well.

Last edited by ALLTRBO; 07-31-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:08 PM   #318
ROD1
Retired

ALLTRBO;
Do you have any posts here anywhere on your Fiero? Ide love to check it out. Always wanted to get a late model V6 and soup it.

Edit, found it NM.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #319
Z Madness

For the benefit of everyone, I pulled the trigger and just ordered a VBOX. Hopefully I have some time next weekend. Also figuring a mounting place for my camera. Thanks for the information everyone. Also note, I drove the car 4 of 5 days to work this week to see of any issues and pleased to report no problems. I just received the boost controller an the meth kit so that's my next project. But I want to log some times with the VBOX first before installing the kit.

Last edited by Z Madness; 08-01-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #320
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
For the benefit of everyone, I pulled the trigger and just ordered a VBOX. Hopefully I have some time next weekend. Also figuring a mounting place for my camera. Thanks for the information everyone. Also not, I drove the car 4 of 5 days to work this week to see of any issues and pleased to report no problems. I just received the boost controller an the meth kit so that my next project. But I want to log some times with the VBOX first before installing the kit.
Sweet
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #321
ALLTRBO

You ordered the actual VBOX? Sweet! I'd love to play around with all the things that can do.
You rock. I'm looking forward to results.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #322
Bourgui

Drives: 1LT/RS, VR, GFX
Someday, they'll erect a statue in your image, for all the work you've done for us!

Thanks for all the info!
Bourgui is offline   Reply With Quote