Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #29
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shine2013 View Post
That's sad to read. Those 2015 Challengers are beautiful. Saw a Hellcat in person and loved it.
Ditto.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:29 AM   #30
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
I've been hearing that the world will run out of fossil fuels since the mid 70s with predictions that it would have already happened by now. Know sources continue to spike. This is BP's twenty year projection
http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/pdf...35_booklet.pdf
It's a finite resource. Unless BP has some dark magic or another Earth in their back pocket...

Regarding the '70s projections, those are 'best guesses' used to anticipate and make decisions beforehand, as such they tend to be on the conservative side. The only thing buying us time are the new oil fields discovered since then and overall fuel efficiency outrunning (for a brief time) increased demand. We're most certainly still on course for running out of oil sooner than later. Moral of the story - Enjoy it while you can.

I'm not a fan of running out of oil, I'm just unable to detach myself from the reality of the situation to see it as anything else. An inevitable dead end.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #31
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
It's a finite resource. Unless BP has some dark magic or another Earth in their back pocket...

Regarding the '70s projections, those are 'best guesses' used to anticipate and make decisions beforehand, as such they tend to be on the conservative side. The only thing buying us time are the new oil fields discovered since then and overall fuel efficiency outrunning (for a brief time) increased demand. We're most certainly still on course for running out of oil sooner than later. Moral of the story - Enjoy it while you can.

I'm not a fan of running out of oil, I'm just unable to detach myself from the reality of the situation to see it as anything else. An inevitable dead end.

Are you sure it's a finite resource? Last time I looked, scientists had no idea where oil even comes from. Not many people believe in the dead dinosaur theory any longer. So if they don't even know where it comes from, how can they know that we are bound to run out?

All I know is, they've been predicting the end of oil since about 1965. Hasn't even begun to happen yet. At the risk of getting political, I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #32
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Are you sure it's a finite resource? Last time I looked, scientists had no idea where oil even comes from. Not many people believe in the dead dinosaur theory any longer. So if they don't even know where it comes from, how can they know that we are bound to run out?
This is news to me. When did they suddenly announce they "don't know where oil comes from"? Link me up some knowledging.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:39 PM   #33
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/dinosa...-Dinosaurs.htm

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #34
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
Exactly, but what's the point of bring this up? Science has a firm grasp on what it is/comes from, and even corrected long standing misinformation on the subject.

I think the desperation to try to reinvent oil as an infinite resource (ie - we will never run out, so we should be allowed to do whatever we want with no foresight - and the fumes from our vehicles and other combustibles is good for us) generates a lot of false hope arguments, where people buy into what they want to believe and not what is actually going on around them. Call it - wishful thinking. Sadly, there's also studies that suggest once someone has believed something for a certain amount of time absolutely no evidence in the world will change their mind.

You folks realize this is a tremendously big subject and polarizing, right? We're not the first people on the planet to think about it. So it's unlikely any minds will be changed here.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:10 PM   #35
shine2013

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT
So what if V8s are dinosaurs? Am I the only one who saw Jurassic Park?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #36
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:

Did you even look at the graph? Known oil reserve are growing. Not contracting. I have as much faith in today's "best guesses" as those made in the 70s. "In the Gulf of Mexico alone, about 1 billion barrels of new oil have been found each year for 25 years".

Projections are based on what is known today. No new discoveries, no drilling new wells, no new technology for extracting. Where does that leave the end of our finite resource today?

Quote:
How long will world's oil reserves last? 53 years, says BP
http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment...-years-says-BP

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:13 PM   #37
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Exactly, but what's the point of bring this up? Science has a firm grasp on what it is/comes from, and even corrected long standing misinformation on the subject.

No they don't. They have a theory. Go back and read the linked article. It even says, it's just a theory. And theory is just a fancy word for "our best wild guess." Russian scientists have a different theory...err.. best guess. Which means no one really knows for sure where oil comes from.

All I know is, they keep finding more of it. There is so much of it, it's almost free. I do think that anyone who thinks we are running out should go buy a Prius. I would.... if I believed it. But until I see a gas station close up due to lack of fuel, I'm cruising in my V8.

Which brings us back to the Hellcat and CAFE. I hope it isn't true. Be terrible to kill off muscle cars again, especially when there is no shortage of oil. The whole thing is silly.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:38 PM   #38
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Yep, it will be all Italian crap before long
totally agreed. and i'm italian...
avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:34 AM   #39
stoopid

I officially understand why people assumed I was an ignorant redneck when I had my Camaro.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:16 AM   #40
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
It would be stoopid to argue with a man about his politics or religion. [bell rings twice]

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 09-01-2015 at 06:46 AM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #41
HEMI DAVE

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2015 Hellcat Challenger,
They have been saying for years that V8's will be dead....Are they finally telling the truth this time? LOL

http://youtu.be/TwShzNV7w5s
Old 09-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #42
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI DAVE View Post
They have been saying for years that V8's will be dead....Are they finally telling the truth this time? LOL

http://youtu.be/TwShzNV7w5s
Well if you say it enough times you're going to be right at some point
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote