Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: 2012 SRT8 or ZL1 ?
SRT8 9 3.98%
ZL1 217 96.02%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #57
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvp33 View Post
I'm aware, but its still not even close to what the ZL1 can do. The ZL1 did 2:57 in the lightning lap....the 2012 SRT8 with the 392 3:09. 12 seconds per lap is an eternity. The SRT8 is a very good car.....the ZL1 is an awesome car on the street or track. In case you think it's the power vs. the chassis....the 1LE did it in 3:01.
For shear performance, I agree no contest. That's the main reason I stuck with a ZL1, but for a very nice car that one can easily live with day in and day out the challenger is no slouch. My coments about handling weren't to say it was on par with the ZL1 but rather to the guy that claims they handle like a pig which just isn't so with the 392's.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #58
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
I'm. guessing you would choose the Challenger circle speedometers dash over the camaros square ? also, would you choose the Challenger interior over the iom orange and black camaro interior ?
Yes and yes. I'm not a fan of manufacturers current way of putting different color seats and a few accent pieces of the same color and calling it an orange interior, red or what ever. I miss the days of getting red and the entire interior was red. The only thing that I think would make the Challenger interior even better would be an engine turned surround at the gauge cluster and maybe chrome air vents. I love the seats, armrest and console lid with the leather and white stitching. The seats are very nice. I think the white face gauges look cool and I like the changes to the center stack and shifter area. The steering wheel is way nicer than that strange thing I have to stare at in my camaro. Don't get me wrong. I love my ZL1, but I like a lot of the apperence thing about the Challenger better. I almost bought one when I was having trouble trying to get a ZL1. One other thing is that you can get great deals on the challenger right now.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #59
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
all I can say is

Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #60
ernie scar

Drives: Chevy/Dodge/Ford
I can’t help you because I love both cars. The easiest solution is to keep the challenger and get the ZL1.

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #61
Ledbetterjw

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSe4 View Post
I am not biased. I love challengers. They are great cars, but as previously stated, are not in the same league as a ZL1.
why does your dad want to trade?
Hes knows if I keep the 392 its getting supercharged and would rather me not void my warranty.....so we could trade and then we both get what we want. He also prefers the comfort of the challenger. He has real 7sec cars for the dragstrip so none of the stock street cars really do it for him anyway. Hes use to 7-8 second cars at around 170-185 mph
Ledbetterjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #62
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledbetterjw View Post
Hes knows if I keep the 392 its getting supercharged and would rather me not void my warranty.....so we could trade and then we both get what we want. He also prefers the comfort of the challenger. He has real 7sec cars for the dragstrip so none of the stock street cars really do it for him anyway. Hes use to 7-8 second cars at around 170-185 mph
Seems to me that it's a no brainer then. Make the switch.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #63
Ledbetterjw

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Seems to me that it's a no brainer then. Make the switch.
All I have to do is get the fiancé to agree.... she was excited when I swapped my 2ss for the srt cuz our family of 5 can ride and we dont have to take her expedition everywhere.... but its a no brainer if I can straight trade and my payments stay the same.....now I just need to find a way to add a third belt to the back seat lol
Ledbetterjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #64
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledbetterjw View Post
All I have to do is get the fiancé to agree.... she was excited when I swapped my 2ss for the srt cuz our family of 5 can ride and we dont have to take her expedition everywhere.... but its a no brainer if I can straight trade and my payments stay the same.....now I just need to find a way to add a third belt to the back seat lol
However it works out for you, eitherway you'll have an awsome car. Both are great in their way.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #65
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Seriously the original question was trade my $45k car for a $58k car so first answer is yes of course, nod to the ZL1. Second question is performance and with all due respect MH, 12 seconds is a "pig-like" deficit especially when an SS/1LE with 50 less horsepower can lap you 8 secs quicker. This is really a no-brainer. Only a die-hard Mopar guy could screw this choice up.
2005 CTS-V SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2010 CTS-V SOLD
2012 CTS-V coupe SOLD
2013 ZL1 vert SOLD
2016 Callaway Z06 SOLD
2019 Z06 SOLD

"I lived my life by one motto.......mottos are for losers" cvp33
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #66
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Camaro all the way.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #67
jashobbsie
Davenport Stage 5+

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & C7 Corvette 3LT Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28-conv View Post
You will not have anyone chose the challenger over the ZL1 on this forum. Just saying.

I think 5% did...lol
ZL1 all the way!
jashobbsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #68
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Yes and yes. I'm not a fan of manufacturers current way of putting different color seats and a few accent pieces of the same color and calling it an orange interior, red or what ever. I miss the days of getting red and the entire interior was red. The only thing that I think would make the Challenger interior even better would be an engine turned surround at the gauge cluster and maybe chrome air vents. I love the seats, armrest and console lid with the leather and white stitching. The seats are very nice. I think the white face gauges look cool and I like the changes to the center stack and shifter area. The steering wheel is way nicer than that strange thing I have to stare at in my camaro. Don't get me wrong. I love my ZL1, but I like a lot of the apperence thing about the Challenger better. I almost bought one when I was having trouble trying to get a ZL1. One other thing is that you can get great deals on the challenger right now.
Yea, I know that I can get great deals on the Challenger because the lack of sales but I chose the v6 camaro over the v8 r/t crazy to most. the camaro is to unique and there's more customizing you can do to it as far as looks. I'm more of a looks Guy and the hips on the camaro and halos is just killer and the Hood scoop. A dealer was trying to get me to buy a 2013 srt8 Challenger over a new 2012 camaro ss .They said the Challenger will be a classic and I would regret not getting the Challenger when I see one on the street because they will stop making them . they said everyone has a camaro now. but they would beat the price of the 2012 camaro ss. which was $42,000 compared to Challenger $51,000. but I like the Challenger sweet car but camaro for me
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #69
SigEp1097
Release the Kraken

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible, 2003 Audi RS6
I'll just leave this here:

Old 06-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #70
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
what interior is nicer? not to look at . it still looks like the interior that came on the 04 magnum that dash is past due 9 years . I dont get how everybody complained about the hard plastic all black plain dash in the camaro when the challenger has the same .Chevy fixed the dash hard plain plastic in the camaro that some hated but Dodge didn't. Yet people say the Challenger interior is better huh? haters smh. but I do like the 392 inaugural. addition. white. seats with blue stripping . but everything else is just plain and black . Boring ! no creativeness
I have owned the SS and the SRT8 and I can tell you the interior in the Challenger is better in every way, than that of the SS. Comfort, Seating, Layout, Function, View, Materials, and Tech is all better. The ZL1 adds a few cosmetic upgrades over a 2SS but not enough. The SRT8 adds adjustable bilstein suspension, track apps, and a great entertainment center. The sunroof and navigation units actually look like they belong, and were not an after thought upgrade as is the case on the SS/ZL1. The SRT8 Charger takes it a step above the Challenger.

Again not knocking the ZL1 I want one, but it's due to the 580hp and handling capabilities and not a superior interior over the SRT8.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote