Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #43
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
I am hoping that the Camaro will be available in 08 but I want it done right.Do you all agree?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:30 AM   #44
Twin Turbo

Drives: '05 Ford Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
While I still am not optimistic for an early arrival, I don't see how this is at all unlikely. I would not be surprised if GM had a team working on the production version Camaro when it was unveiled almost a year ago. I am sure GM anticipated the response that they received. I find it hard to believe that GM just started this project around the time that they announced they would build the Camaro.

I also would like to think that GM does not want to be the last man standing in the muscle car wars. The challenger will be out in '08 I believe and obviously the Mustang is going nowhere. IMO the earlier the better for GM.

Like I said, I am in no way expecting or even optimistic about an early arrival (Hopeful - yes), I just don't think it is at all impossible for them to be at this stage.

Also, I was browsing around for future car models today and you already see spy photos/videos of other 2009 model cars... My question: how long on average does it take to test a car before its release? If some of these makers are already testing their 09 models that suggests one of two things. The Camaro is nearing the production stages or the Camaro is not going to be tested nearly as rigorously as other models... which is it?
Prototype camoflaged cars are on the road anything from 18 months to 3 year before production.....so I wouldn't read too much into it. Besides, the car will utilise the Zeta platform and a massive amount of the hardware the Camaro will use will already have been tested during the development of the Holden Commodore. That said, I reckon you can expect to see spy shots of cammo'd Camaros some time next year.

So, if there's no announcement at SEMA, I guess the next time we can hope for anything firm will be Detroit in January. Oh, to have the production car there!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:30 AM   #45
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
I agree completely. That is why I was wondering about the testing stage. If other vehicles are already being tested but will not be available until 09 and there is speculation as to whether or not the Camaro even has the molds done yet then there is a major disconnect. If the molds are not even done for the new camaro then that would mean that a production version is still months away, correct?

How can other makers already be testing their 09 models and chevy not even have a production version ready? Does this mean that the Camaro will not be tested as rigorously or does it mean that the other makers are allowing more time to make adjustments?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #46
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
just because they are testing doesn't mean they aren't going to make changes. why machine and mold when things might change? that's a waste of money. . .if you keep having to change the mold everytime you make a minor change that isn't good. you might see a pre-production 09 car being tested but I don't think the 09 cars are fully ready to see a production line like you are making them out to be.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #47
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
idk but I just wish they would get it done and release it to the public.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:48 AM   #48
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
just because they are testing doesn't mean they aren't going to make changes.
Can you elaborate? I think i am missing the point because of the double negative. Are you saying that becasue they are testing in no way means it is a done deal and ready for production?

Quote:
why machine and mold when things might change? that's a waste of money. . .if you keep having to change the mold everytime you make a minor change that isn't good.
To clarify my question earlier, I was not refering to the molds that would change (When we are talking about molds I am assuming we are talking about the actual body and how it fits together). I was referring more to the other nuances like the actual mechanics of the car, the software, the handling, etc, etc...
Old 10-19-2006, 12:05 PM   #49
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I was also refering to how something fits together. even in testing they find things wrong. So why would they make a mold until the testing is done? I remember watching a thing on the Discovery channel about one of BMW's new cars and they didn't make any molds for it until after they were 100% sure that is how it was going to be. and that was after they had done a lot of driving in the preproduction versions. (ie the 09 cars we see testing right now). that's what I was trying to get at. I'm tired and not totally here sorry if I'm not clear.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:23 PM   #50
Casull

Quote:
I remember watching a thing on the Discovery channel about one of BMW's new cars and they didn't make any molds for it until after they were 100% sure that is how it was going to be.(ie the 09 cars we see testing right now).
And actually the cars I saw the most of in terms of spy shots were the BMWs.

Quote:
I was also refering to how something fits together. even in testing they find things wrong. So why would they make a mold until the testing is done?
Exactly, so my question was then... if there are other 09 cars in this stage right now, is it probable that they have a production version of the Camaro already laid out and ready for testing? If not, does anyone think that it will compromise the Camaro's quality in the first run year becasue they did not have enough time to test due to time constraints? --I probably was not too clear initially myself---
Old 10-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #51
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

it's possible for them to have a very early pre-production version they are driving around the track or wot not. but as for the majority of it being green lighted for production. . .probably not. at least that's my thoughts. . .only time will honestly tell.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #52
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
lo siento.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #53
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
lo siento.
Holy dead threads Batman.