Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
Paddle Shifting

I've went through some searches on google about tapshifting, but I'm still confused.

Let's say you're stopped at a red light. Should you be at 1 and then work your way up? If so, at what speeds do you upshift? or is it purely based on the rpm meter?

And what about coasting down a hill?

Should you really downshift to 1 or 2 while gliding to a red light? I heard that was only to save drum brake life.

Or driving on the highway?

I've never driven a manual. :(

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
the car will not put you in first at a dead stop, you have to do that it will always start you in 2nd. the reason for this is because there is no need to start in 1st unless you are racing. the car will also down shift for you if your not comfortable doing it yourself for now so all you have to do is up shift. always shift based on the sound/rpm gauge, if it sounds like its starting to rev high just shift up and before you do look at the gauge so you get an understanding of what the number will be. hope this helped. its super simple dont think about it to much just drive and get to know the car!
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
I usually shift at 2,500 RPM for gas saving and engine performance. I keep my car at low 2,000 all the time, that is where the RPM's are on long cruisings at 70MPH or so.

Down shifting will definitively save on brakes...
Old 10-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigssc View Post
the car will not put you in first at a dead stop, you have to do that it will always start you in 2nd. the reason for this is because there is no need to start in 1st unless you are racing. the car will also down shift for you if your not comfortable doing it yourself for now so all you have to do is up shift. always shift based on the sound/rpm gauge, if it sounds like its starting to rev high just shift up and before you do look at the gauge so you get an understanding of what the number will be. hope this helped. its super simple dont think about it to much just drive and get to know the car!
Not true.

When my 1LT comes to a stop in the Sport mode with the Tap Shift engaged, the car down shifts to 1st every time. It will start out in 1st every time in the Sport Mode, even when not using the Tap Shift.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
Not true.

When my 1LT comes to a stop in the Sport mode with the Tap Shift engaged, the car down shifts to 1st every time. It will start out in 1st every time in the Sport Mode, even when not using the Tap Shift.
Correct, Sport mode goes into first Gear at a complete stop. Drive starts in 2nd from a complete stop.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
L99 does the 2nd gear start, LLT/LFX does first gear. I believe its when it is automatically downshifting in manual mode.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
bigssc
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=jeffa;
Not true. When my 1LT comes to a stop in the Sport mode with the Tap Shift engaged, the car down shifts to 1st every time. It will start out in 1st every time in the Sport Mode, even when not using the Tap Shift.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jravenfan View Post
Correct, Sport mode goes into first Gear at a complete stop. Drive starts in 2nd from a complete stop.
fellas i wasnt talking about sport mode just regular tap shift.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
thanks for all the suggestions. gonna go try it out.

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
Let's say you're stopped at a red light. Should you be at 1 and then work your way up?
If you're going to tap-shift, you should start thinking like you would if you were driving a manual transmission car. From a red light, stop sign, or from any other reason that you came to a complete stop - learn to use the gear that "feels" the best to you. If starting in 2nd feels a bit sluggish, that's a sign that you should have used 1st (which apparently requires you to be in 'Sport' mode).

Quote:
If so, at what speeds do you upshift? or is it purely based on the rpm meter?
As mentioned, it should be experience based, and this requires more awareness on your part of what the engine is doing than what you may be accustomed to with a pure PRNDL automatic.

It's not all that hard to recognize when the engine is revving higher than necessary, especially if you've done any exhaust system mods. Roughly you should be able to tap it from 1st into 2nd even before you've cleared the intersection at least in normal driving in traffic, up into 3rd after you've accelerated another 10 mph or so, and into 4th by 40 mph.

Quote:
I've never driven a manual. :(
This is the same kind of stuff I'm trying to teach my 16 y/o granddaughter who is learning to "drive stick" while still on her permit. Pay attention to what the engine is trying to tell you. Stay a little bit connected to its sound and vibration.

Quote:
And what about coasting down a hill?
Don't treat a gentle hill any differently with tap-shift than you would with a conventional automatic that doesn't have it. For a long, steep descent, tap it into a lower gear to keep the car from continuing to build speed while coasting. Disc brakes don't fade as readily as drum brakes did, but they still can (and will) fade if the situation is extreme enough.

Quote:
Should you really downshift to 1 or 2 while gliding to a red light?
There should be no need to. Only if it looks like the light is about to change, you're in a clear lane, and you won't have to come to a complete stop.

Quote:
Or driving on the highway?
Unless the road suddenly starts climbing a steep hill or you see a situation developing where you want to have strong acceleration available without having to wait for the kickdown/forced downshift, there is little need to do anything with the tap-shift once you're up to cruising speed. Once again, this is experience/feel based, which will develop in time if you work at it a little.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
Youngone

Drives: Supercharged 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
He has a V6 all of the v6's go to first on stop.
Youngone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngone View Post
He has a V6 all of the v6's go to first on stop.
good to know didnt know that. either way it will do it on its own all he has to do is shift up the car will down shift better then he will be able to do.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
Youngone

Drives: Supercharged 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
good to know didnt know that. either way it will do it on its own all he has to do is shift up the car will down shift better then he will be able to do.
Correct you are sir! The only reason I knew that was because I test drove a v6 before the SS.
Youngone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
My ss starts out at 2nd
Old 10-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783 View Post
My ss starts out at 2nd