Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 03-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
First shot, putting the bar in.

Second shot, mostly in place, starting to drill holes

Third shot - damn backing plates didn't come pre-drilled so I have to figure out exactly where to drill them. Major PITA.

Starting to worry a bit because if there is any tension in the bar from the way it is mounted, I won't be able to put the tube clamps back together once I take them out (!!)

Fit is not perfect - some angles not right. May try putting on 4-5 washers as spacers between the car body and the mounting plates. Dunno. That will be tomorrow.
Attached Images

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
SSSoon

Front brackets mounted. Took a while to get the holes lined up - not easy at all. Note the mis-drilled holes in the bottom plate in the attached pic. If it really bothers me I'll get new mounting plates - easy to swap off the bottom.

Still concerned with tension on the tube clamps so drilled out all the holes in the body to 7/16ths. I am mounting each plate exactly where it wants to be and shimming up behind all plates so that there is no tension. Hopefully will work.

Also got some thick rubber washers and will sandwich one between two regular washers behind the rear mounting plates, just to make sure the plates have at least a little flexibility. Don't think that would compromise crash performance because each plate is held in place with hardened steel nylock nuts. The rubber would just be between the plates and the body, to give a little flex.

Wrapped the brake lines and the fuel lines with rubber hose and ziptied. Took the shot below, and then decided to wrap it again with another layer just in case

With the two forward mounting plates torqued down tight, I wanted to test the attachment points. Undid the bolts holding the tube clamps together and the darn thing wouldn't separate. Had to hit it a bunch with a rubber mallet and eventually it popped apart. Paint jamming it up. Filed all connecting surfaces in the tube clamps flat and even beveled the edge a little just so that the surfaces can slip together easily. Once the filing is done, they connect very nicely and easily.

Will work on the rear mounting points tomorrow
Attached Images

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
SSSoon

These are tube clamps. Both sides identical, the pieces slide together and then bolt in. In theory, a great idea. In practice, a bitch. They have to be exactly perfectly aligned to work. Am going to try beveling the edges by 5 thousandths to make installation and removal easier.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #18
Synner

Drives: cars
Flex is not something I'd want on a bolt mounting location. Thats what allows a lateral shear load that could snap a bolt or increase the stress on the threads to the point of failure. I would have it rigid. Maybe its compressed enough it won't matter but when the whole point of the cage is safety I wouldn't compromise there.

The clamps would be far easier to align if they weren't fully welded in until after mock-up but I guess that ship has sailed.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #19
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Flex is not something I'd want on a bolt mounting location. Thats what allows a lateral shear load that could snap a bolt or increase the stress on the threads to the point of failure. I would have it rigid. Maybe its compressed enough it won't matter but when the whole point of the cage is safety I wouldn't compromise there.

The clamps would be far easier to align if they weren't fully welded in until after mock-up but I guess that ship has sailed.
I hear you. For me, beveling the leading edges a bit so that the pieces can slip in place better is worth it. Won't change the bulk of the solid steel connection points, just entry points (so to speak). I'm pretty sure this would not compromise anything. It won't be flexible or loose once it's together.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #20
Synner

No I'm talking the rubber washers under the plate. Granted there's 4 bolts but the structural engineer in me says "Danger Will Robinson!" Over time any vibration/loosening could shear a bolt or the threads.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #21
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
No I'm talking the rubber washers under the plate. Granted there's 4 bolts but the structural engineer in me says "Danger Will Robinson!" Over time any vibration/loosening could shear a bolt or the threads.
Ah - gotcha. Yeah. We tried the rubber washers, didn't do any good (once compressed, maybe isolates some vibration but provides no flex.) Took 'em out. It's steel on steel now. Thanks for the suggestion - good point!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #22
Synner

OK cool. Even something as random as the different expansion/contraction rates from temperature between rubber and steel could be enough to cause slack. Or the rubber degrading over time. Then vibration will slowly compromise the bolt threads or generate lateral point loads and you'd never notice until that oh shit moment when you need the cage and they snap. Steel on steel all the way with some loctite after final mockup. Any flex will introduce some bad ju-ju so if you need flex to make it work rethink the mounting method.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #23
SSSoon

Beveling the tube clamps by even tiny amounts makes a huge difference in getting the bars in and out. But, once they are all the way in, they are locked solid. Really nice.

It takes 2 minutes for 2 guys to pick up the bar, walk it into the car, place the rears, bang a bit with a rubber mallet to get all the way in, place the fronts, bang them in. Huge difference from before.

A few minutes to thread in the bolts (2 per tube clamp) and it is ready to rock.

I need to do some final fit and finish this weekend around the mounting plates and adjusting the angles on one of the post a bit, but this is close to done now.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #24
SSSoon

Back from vacation. Going to try to finish this project. Roll bars do not line up right on the rear fenders (angle is off) and so need to be either spaced out or cut and re-welded. Going to visit a local guy who builds race cars tomorrow so we can get this finalized.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Ever think about running http://www.sscc.us/ With that setup you could run the Grand sport cless with a tech(top speed)of 165 mph
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #26
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Ever think about running http://www.sscc.us/ With that setup you could run the Grand sport class with a tech(top speed)of 165 mph
I'm working my way up. Last time at VIR I consistently hit 130 on the back stretch. It's a little unnerving because you have the pedal to the metal as you go up over a rise, hoping to hell that nobody has spun out on the other side. I hit 130 juuuuust as I crest the hill.

But that was before I installed the supercharger Should be more fun next time around. Trying to get it all together so I can run with an Audi club April 15/16, if I can get off work.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #27
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Sounds like super fun,good luck man i sure hope i can run VIR someday!
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #28
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Sounds like super fun,good luck man i sure hope i can run VIR someday!
Here is a nice run from last October if you are interested: