Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Window Tint Question

I'm looking to get my ZL1 tinted asap, I've read that metallic films can interfere with electronics such as iPods, Nav, Bluetooth, Radio, Cell Phone, etc. Has anyone had any experience with a metallic based film on their Camaro? I have no idea why type of tint was used on my 2010..

In my area there is a shop that uses 3M film, but I've heard from several people that for the price, 3M is NOT worth it.

The other places around me use Solar Guard which is a metallic film. I'm just wanting to make sure my electronics aren't screwy because of a metallic based film....
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I am running 20% Solar guard and have no electronic issues whatsoever - I use an Iphone and use pandora....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
The only issues I've heard of are on the rear window as the FM antenna is in the glass.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
The only issues I've heard of are on the rear window as the FM antenna is in the glass.
yeah I should have added...my FM is fine too....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
kanman99

Drives: 2013 RS/SS
Im getting mine done in a week, Check out Viper, they say it has ZERO interference with Bluetooth, and any devices
kanman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
Ceramic is your friend and it has lifetime warranty.
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
SemperGumby
I'll probably offend you

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6
I went with Huper Optik tinting, great quality and no problems.
SemperGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Ben Thur

Drives: 2010 Silver 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Hopefully this helps. The xm is ran through the shark fin and fm is ran through the back window. When I went to the shop they had three types (each with a price increase) I got the basic lifetime warranty film from formula1. Next would be metallic but said I couldn't get it because it cuts out all fm signal from the antenna in the back. Last and most expensive would be ceramic. Each on decreases heat and the better insulation you move up. I paid about 170.00 for mine (being in the Midwest didn't think i needed ceramic). The next level was about 280 (metallic) and then 390 (ceramic). So about a hundred bucks to move to the next material. So this whole rant is saying depending on your location get ceramic. Metallic is out of the question.
Ben Thur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
I'm looking to get my ZL1 tinted asap, I've read that metallic films can interfere with electronics such as iPods, Nav, Bluetooth, Radio, Cell Phone, etc. Has anyone had any experience with a metallic based film on their Camaro? I have no idea why type of tint was used on my 2010..

In my area there is a shop that uses 3M film, but I've heard from several people that for the price, 3M is NOT worth it.

The other places around me use Solar Guard which is a metallic film. I'm just wanting to make sure my electronics aren't screwy because of a metallic based film....
OP, I asked this same question some time ago, and was told by several people that their metallic tint caused them no problems with radio reception, but if I was concerned, ceramic tint was an option, if I wanted to spend the extra $$$.

Edit: Here's my thread on it:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284167
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
SemperGumby
I'll probably offend you

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6
The Huper Optik I went with is a ceramic with the highest heat rejection they offered. It's definitely the most expensive, but in the world of tint you really do get what you pay for. It is a multi-layer ceramic with nano-ceramics... I mean the fancy sounding stuff alone is an extra $50 or so.
SemperGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I also put IR tint on my front windshield. That really helps keeping the "heat' out, as opposed to all my other tinted windows keeping the 'sun/glare' out. The IR is about 70%, and really can't tell I actually have tint on the front windshield, as most states it is 'illegal' to have front window tint.

Just a suggestion if you haven't thought about it.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
cliffdog89

Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
Go with 3M - they have multiple grades and lifetime warranty.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
Boydr12

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thur View Post
Hopefully this helps. The xm is ran through the shark fin and fm is ran through the back window. When I went to the shop they had three types (each with a price increase) I got the basic lifetime warranty film from formula1. Next would be metallic but said I couldn't get it because it cuts out all fm signal from the antenna in the back. Last and most expensive would be ceramic. Each on decreases heat and the better insulation you move up. I paid about 170.00 for mine (being in the Midwest didn't think i needed ceramic). The next level was about 280 (metallic) and then 390 (ceramic). So about a hundred bucks to move to the next material. So this whole rant is saying depending on your location get ceramic. Metallic is out of the question.
Incredibly unnecessary too, if you get somebody who knows what they are doing to do the tint you will never have a problem.
Boydr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
Boydr12

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Also very illegal in most states ....not that you will change it...just for other readers...
He said it was illegal in his comment buddy.......
Boydr12 is offline   Reply With Quote