Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
FirstandFifthGen

Drives: 68 Camaro, 48 Chevy truck, 36 Chevy
Convertible axle back

Just FYI, I received an email back from Borla, on exhaust fit up on convertibles:

Ray:

Thanks for your interest in Borla products! The axle back systems will work on the Convertible Camaro. We do not know yet about the full cat-back system. We need to do a fitment on a Convertible to know for sure.

Cordially,

Greg L. Weiss
Borla Performance Industries
701 Arcturus Ave
Oxnard, CA 93033

Since I am going with a axle back system, I am going to go ahead and order one now.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
1981 Z28
TRIPLE BLACK 2SS/RS VERT

Drives: 1981 Z28 Blue with Blue Stripes
That is good to know because I have my ATAK axle back system sitting in my living room but no car yet to put it on!!!!!!!! From looking at the pictures posted I didn't see a problem with the axle back in fact the mufflers are alot smaller than the stock ones.

1981 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
united1

Drives: slpzl585vert.
the slp loud mouth II work's with the vert too.
united1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
I'd be glad to let Borla conduct a fitment test of a cat back system on my vert if they leave it on afterwards...

...just saying.

are ya listenin'?

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
melbourne_ls1

Drives: 2011 2SS Red Jewel Tintcoat Vert
Hey guys,
Do your verts have the spring loaded valves in the exhaust pictured here?
My 2010 L99 Coupe did not have these, but my 2011 L99 Vert does.

Just trying to figure out what the heck these things are...
Attached Images

melbourne_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
FirstandFifthGen

Drives: 68 Camaro, 48 Chevy truck, 36 Chevy
Put my Borla S axle backs on the vert today. Some comments:

Marked cut off line with masking tape, which also helps keep sawzall from sliding around. I did not want to remove the V brace, and therfore had to cut with the sawzall from the inward side of the car. Could not quite cut through the whole pipe because the saw's movement was limited. Was able to complete the cut with a Dremel. I sprayed the hanger grommets with soapy water to help remove the mufflers.

Borla says to cut 2.32" from muffler; I wish I would have at 2" or maybe even 1.75"...no reason not to. I would like my tip to stick out a little further, but with the 2.32" cut I can't come out much further (I will probably do a little welding to help fix this issue). Also, if you cut at one of these shorter lengths, you probably could use the sawzall from the outward side of the car and not need the dremel.

A little disappointed in the quality of the Borla tips. Chrome finsh was very so-so. Also, I like the way the stock tips were longer and angled with the rear valance, the Borla's aren't...no biggy I guess, but for their money they should be a little better quality.

Sound is nice rumble, and deep. Unlike the stocks, there is some unwanted drone at certain engine load points, but not at most normal cruising points.

Also while I was under there, I put in the skip shift jumper. A little tough to get your hand up to the solenoid, and that vert center cross bracket doesn't help matters! Anyhow got that on and MAN am I happy now...that 1 to 4 thing irratated the hell out of me.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #7
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Looks good brother, cool.

6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer 6-23-10
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Looks great, but I see what you mean about the tip length. Looks like the hangers would let you come out another inch or so. I wish the Borla cans were polished as well. I was behind another Camaro with Borlas the other day, and the cans are so visible under the the car, they should be chromed!

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
modawg2k

Drives: Topless 2SS/RS IOM
One of the first things I thought about when I started my vert up for the first time the other day was that I definitely wanted an exhaust. I am new to this whole "car thing" so I've just started my research into exhaust. I would like to do as much to my car as I can on my own, but I'm guessing this exhaust installing is a little above my beginning status pay grade right? I don't have tools to cut pipes (nor do I want to buy any just for that occasion). Would you guys agree it's probably best just to throw onto my mechanic to do?

Also, what do you think of the ATAK with regards to the top being down. Is it too loud for having other people in the car to talk with?
modawg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
I have installed the Borla S-type catback system on my coupe. I read somewhere that it should take about 2 hours. I've never done exhaust before, but it only took me 1 hour, taking my time. My next one I could do in 1/2 hour.

The catback would be easier to install...nothing to cut. The axleback system requires you to make a cut using a saws-all. If you can, spend a little more on the catback (better sound) and save yourself some money by doing it yourself.

If you ever think you will want to add headers, don't go with the atak. Personally, I like the sound of the s-type better, but there are those who like it real loud.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
modawg2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
I have installed the Borla S-type catback system on my coupe. I read somewhere that it should take about 2 hours. I've never done exhaust before, but it only took me 1 hour, taking my time. My next one I could do in 1/2 hour.

The catback would be easier to install...nothing to cut. The axleback system requires you to make a cut using a saws-all. If you can, spend a little more on the catback (better sound) and save yourself some money by doing it yourself.

If you ever think you will want to add headers, don't go with the atak. Personally, I like the sound of the s-type better, but there are those who like it real loud.
Thanks for that input. My buddy was telling me that you have to think about how loud it is and it could possibly give you a headache, but if it's not your daily driver, you may be fine. Plus I've got to factor in the convertible and noise when it's down, right? Not going to lie, but I don't know what a header is. I've heard it a ton of times, but now I'm off to go look up what exactly that is
Old 03-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
Sttt5126

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
I was considering the same thing...exhaust loudness is highly subjective. I finally decided to go to the Borla 'Type-S' which is a little less aggressive.
Sttt5126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #13
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
I'm with you guys on needing a louder exhaust. Here's a vid from Borla explaining their Camaro exhaust systems comparing Touring, S Type and finally ATAK. Touring may be all I need with the Vert.

Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
modawg2k

Thanks. I'm thinking maybe the S type. I want loud and throaty, but not overdone

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk