Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #57
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Just to be fair...

Would your opinion change if he stated "The Camaro SS, Not the Most Practical for The Narrow Roads of the Brazilian Amazon Rainforest"? Or "The Camaro SS Not the Most Practical Car for the $8.59 per gallon cost of fuel in (Belgium, Netherlands, Greece, Germany Sweden) etc"
I'd suggest his next topic be "cats: not as good for riding as horses"

Or in keeping with the thinly veiled progressive undertones: "why you don't need anything but what we give you" (which will be nothing because we are going to use everything)

The article is ridiculous and silly - if the Hummer was still made I'm sure he would have compared that to the Rogue.

Suggest everyone stops clicking on it - drivel like this does not deserve attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
To be fair...

We as a society are gas whores.
Using more than our "fair share" eh comrade?
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #58
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I agree. My Camaro is ridiculously impractical. I still love her, though =)

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #59
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
The practicality of it is why I don't own one yet. I can't afford 2 cars but will be able to soon. The charger meets almost all of my needs, far more than a Camaro would've. As a second vehicle for me it's going to be gravy.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #60
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
His next review he will compare the Suburban vs a Smart car

SS, A8, Procharger, M&T's and stuff...
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #61
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
The practicality of it is why I don't own one yet. I can't afford 2 cars but will be able to soon. The charger meets almost all of my needs, far more than a Camaro would've. As a second vehicle for me it's going to be gravy.
Wise choice. I would never choose this if it were my only vehicle.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #62
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Thats why it pays to be single and have an awesome job. I have a little bit of everything so I can be either practical or impractical
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #63
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
I posted a reply calling BS on the brake, clutch maneuver when HSA is the bane of my existence.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #64
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
It's practical to me.

I need to be comfortable. I need to look stylish. I need a lot of power. I need stability at speed.

I don't need to carry passengers or cargo and I'm tall and fat so getting in 4 door cars sucks because the doors aren't long enough and I have to squeeze around the pillar
Old 06-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #65
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Bah. Name anywhere on earth that isn't a racetrack or allows unlimited speed that a high performance car is more practical than a 4-cylinder AWD station wagon.

It has nothing to do with Seattle.

A Camaro is less "practical" even in flat states with under 5 inches a year rainfall.

If he knew anything about driving at all, he could have figured that out just by reading both brochures. No "test" is necessary.

To "test" a 1LE stick shift car, he would have had to do performance testing. My guess is he would have soiled his undergarments shortly afterwards.

He didn't even check braking distances, which is something important in all regions.
This comparison is parallel to who in countries with the highest gas prices have a V8 or a performance car.

Answer?

ONLY the wealthy.

A very high percentage of residents in countries with fuel prices over $7 a gallon drive 2, 3 and 4 cylinder cars "just to manage".

We Americans, if imposed such prices, would NOT be driving combined 14-16 mpg vehicles.

Getting back to the article as written, the man made an opinion based on his Constitutional right. Whether we agree to it or not is irrelevant. Take the article for what it is. The man was being fair and relevant.

His article below with my comments in parentheses

The Puget Sound Business Journal is on one such street: When you wait for a green light going uphill on Marion Street at Second Avenue, with one foot on the clutch and the other on the brake, your heart beats faster. Can you time the clutch-to-accelerator maneuver perfectly to prevent rolling into the car behind you or, worse, into First Avenue traffic?

(Applicable to ANY stick shift car...NOT Camaro bias)

Another impracticality would be a monstrously powerful engine. There aren’t many patches of open highway where you can floor a car’s accelerator and fully experience its muscle, especially in rush hour.

(This is actually true. The author is stating that the Camaro is for all intents and purposes meant for open road. I am inferring here, but I can also read between the lines of inference)

No one really needs a 426-horsepower car in Seattle, especially one powered by a 6.2-liter V8 engine that delivers really poor gas mileage. The 2014 Camaro SS is rated at 16 mpg city/24 mpg highway, but I got only slightly better than 12 mpg in combined mileage.
Those are two reasons that come to mind that make the 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS impractical for Seattle.
And consider: The Camaro SS, with its 6.2-liter V8 engine and 426 horsepower, isn’t even Chevy’s most powerful Camaro this year. Surpassing it are both the supercharged 6.2-liter 580-horsepower Camaro ZL1, starting at over $55,000, and the 7-liter 505-horsepower Camaro Z/28, starting at $75,000.

(Is the man really far from truth and fact? Considering what the Camaro was theoretically built for, isn't the author stating...Hey, based on what the Camaro was built for...and delivers, isn't there another option?)

Looking at the prices on those two models, the approximately $40,000 sticker price for the Camaro SS isn’t so daunting. But still, this isn’t a car for day-to-day driving in Seattle. There isn’t much of a back seat, the trunk room is abysmal, and getting into the low-to-the-ground Camaro is a challenge.

(Correct on price..compliment, correct on back seat, correct on trunk room, correct on ground clearance. Hell, I have issues scraping my splitter on driveways and some business entrances...He is ON POINT)

But you’re not buying the Camaro for its practicality. You’re buying it because it’s one of the most powerful cars on the road, it’s stylish, and it’s one of the most fun cars to drive.

(No Camaro bash..he is qualifying what the Camaro is and complimenting the styling and performance)

The test model I drove came with the SS Performance Package ($3,500), Recaro performance seats ($1,995) and navigation system ($795), which brought the Camaro’s total price to $40,340.

(He test drove a 1LE, NOT the most practical Camaro for a rain laden area)

Not quite as stylish as the Camaro but a lot more practical is the 2014 Nissan Rogue, completely restyled for this year. Equipped with all-wheel drive, the Rogue makes a lot more sense for the Puget Sound area, especially if rain is falling or you’re traversing Snoqualmie Pass in winter.
I took a Rogue on an extended highway drive and came away impressed, especially with the vehicle’s gas mileage. The Rogue AWD is rated at 25 mpg city/32 mpg highway, and I got nearly 30 mpg combined.
The Rogue SL is powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 170 horsepower, which performed admirably.

(Mind you, he test drove a 1LE compared to a Nissan Rogue. Not an Apples to Apples comparison, yet he wrote the article and for whatever reason chose these two vehicles for his comparison. Why? I have no clue..But he did laud both the Camaro for it's strengths and weaknesses as well as the Rogue. So I appreciate his neutrality)

There is one big drawback: Back seat passengers complained that the seats were some of the most uncomfortable they’ve ever sat in.
But the Rogue’s a pretty good value; the base price of a Rogue SL with all-wheel drive is around $30,000. The SL Premium Package of safety features brought the test vehicle’s total price to $32,395.
Rants & Raves
1. The throaty roar of the Camaro’s exhaust. (Compliment Camaro)
2. The Rogue’s very, very good gas mileage. (compliment Rogue)
3. The Rogue has a surprising amount of power for a four-cylinder engine. (complimet Camaro)
DISLIKES
1. The Camaro’s black engine hood on a gray car looks tacky. (uninformed dislike for the reasons for the matte hood)
2. The rear-seat discomfort of the Rogue’s rear seats.
3. The Camaro’s rear visibility isn’t very good. (We ALL bitch about this)

Overall...they man is NOT bashing the Camaro. He, for whatever reason chose a 1LE or was asked to compare an apple to an orange. Many of us complain about certain aspects of the Camaro here on this website. Are we wrong for complaining or are we as correct as the author pointing out inherent flaws that a certain percentage of us here don't like? Does this fact make some of us who complain of the Camaro dislikes badge us hypocrites?

Aren't we here on this forum just as privileged voicing our opinions based on personal beliefs, perhaps somewhat skewed and making biased commentary?

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #66
dkg11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
This is just hilarious... everyone is ripping this guy apart... i am really trying to find out why he posted this article... if your looking for a daily driver camaro get the v6 auto haha this guy is a total loser
Custom tune by Bob Morreale www.thetuningschool.com
QTP Electronic Exhaust cut-outs
12'' Alpine type R with 1500watts double ported box
Tinted windows
392RWHP on Mustang Dyno
dkg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #67
dkg11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
or hes just high
Custom tune by Bob Morreale www.thetuningschool.com
QTP Electronic Exhaust cut-outs
12'' Alpine type R with 1500watts double ported box
Tinted windows
392RWHP on Mustang Dyno
dkg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:50 AM   #68
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Coastal cities tend to be populated by more liberals, Middle America tends to be populated by more conservatives.

Liberals are more likely to buy smaller economy cars due to the high tax rates and more expensive fuel they tend to impose on themselves, and smaller economy cars tend to be foreign cars.

Conservatives are more likely to buy larger American-made vehicles, and red states tend to have lower fuel costs than blue states because taxes are typically lower.

Compare the fuel costs of New York, California and Massachusetts to Texas, Montana and North Carolina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
That might explain why there are more Ferraris, Lambos, and Porsches in California than any other state.
Probably combined over all of the other 49 states. The cars are expensive and for the most part, sans the 911, are gas pigs and impractical. But, all those that own them along with Camaros, Mustangs, BMW M's, etc., do not care about whether they are practical or not.
Mc Rat, Now I have to think about my Chevy powered fish n' ski boat as my Camaro after your quote.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #69
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
The trunk space in the Camaro is actually bigger than most of the other cars I've ever had.

Compared to my Suburban however, yes, it's tiny...

But when I moved from Belgium to Luxemburg, I managed to get all of the following in there:

Still in the boxes as brand new:
24 white wine glasses
24 red wine glasses
24 water glasses
12 champagne glasses
12 boxes each containing dinner and soup plate/coffee cup/coffee cup plate
12 boxes containing dinner and soup plate/cornflakes bowl/soup bowl/coffee cup (LARGE ones)/water glass
coffee machine

2 pillows
1 duvet
10 towels

As I had to pick up the stuff at my Mom's place, she came outside to check where I was putting all of that, and was surprised to see it all fit in nicely into the tiny trunk.

Last edited by PeeBee; 06-20-2014 at 08:35 AM.
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #70
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
The trunk space in the Camaro is actually bigger than most of the other cars I've ever had.

Compared to my Suburban however, yes, it's tiny...

But when I moved from Belgium to Luxemburg, I managed to get all of the following in there:

Still in the boxes as brand new:
24 white wine glasses
24 red wine glasses
24 water glasses
12 champagne glasses
12 boxes each containing dinner and soup plate/coffee cup/coffee cup plate
12 boxes containing dinner and soup plate/cornflakes bowl/soup bowl/coffee cup (LARGE ones)/water glass
coffee machine

2 pillows
1 duvet
10 towels

As I had to pick up the stuff at my Mom's place, she came outside to check where I was putting all of that, and was surprised to see it all fit in nicely into the tiny trunk.
He never saw the trunk on a Saturn Sky, especially with the top down...