Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 07-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
2.1.Trey

Drives: 2014 Camaro
New Camaro Buyer

Hi everyone,
My folks are going to buy me a new Camaro for my 18th birthday. From a previous thread, the difference between models within my price range.
---------------------------------------------
LS = base model, V6
LT = step up from LS - V6
SS = V8, top model

You can add RS packages

----------------------------------------------

My question is which model should I buy? The engine for LS and LT look like the same specs. I want the v6 because I have to commute a long distance to work.

Cost efficent?
Should I buy the LS model and fix it up, or should I buy the LT model and pay a little bit more for them to fix it up. I don't know how much more I would need to add to fix the LT model. I want nice rims, exhaust tips, tint and a decent interior (back up assistance , nav.). I don't know what else to fix up. I'm a new driver, but very excited.

Any guidiance is appreciated.

-Trey
2.1.Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
Dwarfey

Drives: 2011 1LT A/T Black w/ Red Stripes
It really deends on the options that you want.

First off, get the RS. That is worth the money right there and will make your car stand out more than a non-RS.... Trust me on this one, I spent too much to make my car look like an RS lol.

Then it comes to options.
Leather? - If you want it, I think you have to go 2LT
Heads up display? - 2Lt on this one as well, I believe
Bigger wheels? Or will you go aftermarket? - If you go aftermarket, you could go 1LS
Nav w/ Safety Pkg. - LT, just check the box
Exhaust- Just pick up a MRT V2.0, the 2014 RS comes with nice tips though.

Build your own on Chevy's website, and see what you WANT first. Then what you can afford to cut out, if you need to. Too many times people buy a car and they say "ehhhh I could live without that backup cam, then realize "damnit I should have gotten the backup cam"."

If it's not too much more, save up for it. My 2 cents.
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust -Painted Red Racing Stripes -Volant Cold Air Intake -Painted Red Interior Accents -Anzo Projector Headlights w/ Oracle White/Red Halos -Black Bowties -Rockford Fosgate 10" Sub w/ 1000W Kenwood Amp
-ZL1 Spoiler - Gloss Black Powder-coated 20" SS Wheels
Dwarfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
I think you should, since youre a new driver and all, really focus on the LT models. You can get the LT/RS which gives you 20" wheels and a few minor extras that are nice. The main thing are the HIDs. I say this because a lot of new drivers can't understand the power in some cars and this leads to accidents death at times when "showing off" to friends. If you feel that you are not that guy/girl that wants to show off and can actually keep your head on the right path go for the SS model. Gives you the most power below a ZL1 and a lot of after market parts. Sounds like you want to do a lot of modding so the LT or LS would give you the most flexibility to do what you want. Good luck and no matter what model you pick, choose something that will fit YOU and one that you would feel safe in.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Sheriff Justice
If your not 1st your last

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS / RS
Get a V6 LT with RS package definitely (HID headlights, LED brakes and spoiler). MSRP $34K?

Met a guy from Maine last week with this model in White w/ tinted windows and it looked great!
Sheriff Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
NJBourne, it actually doesn't sound like he wants to fix it up at all, he listed cosmetic mods only. (?)

If you ARE going to mod (the engine/drive train), I'd also second getting the V8. But you will see a large hit in fuel efficiency.

The V6 is still plenty of car, and there are some mods available for it. The rest are cosmetic and luxury choices that only you and your wallet can decide.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Countdown before this turns into: A) V8 v. V6; B) I worked for my car v. Mommy and Daddy bought me a car; and/or C) everybody's favorite fringe arguments about leather v. cloth, RS v. non-RS, and the placebo effect of the fuse pull.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post
Countdown before this turns into: A) V8 v. V6; B) I worked for my car v. Mommy and Daddy bought me a car; and/or C) everybody's favorite fringe arguments about leather v. cloth, RS v. non-RS, and the placebo effect of the fuse pull.
Well of course it will... they always do.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
Philar299

Drives: 2021 Forte GT
If you don't care about leather and HUD, go 1LT w/RS

Previous cars:
2014 V6 Spring Edition
2018 WRX
2022 K5
2022 Stinger
Philar299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
sean90

Drives: 2014 2SS
If you parents can afford to buy you such a nice car then good on them and enjoy it! But don't be the 18yo new driver that shows off without first learning to handle the car and then wads it up on a lamp post or something.
Enjoy the car when you get it !
sean90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Well of course it will... they always do.
You are right. I didn't really make a bold prediction there did I
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post

You brought it up but before that everyone seemed to be playing nicely and answering the question at hand. I still say stick with the LT. Like others have said it has a good amount of power so you can play and get a "thrill" but cost effective. I personally put premium 93 octane in my V6 but you DON'T HAVE to but with a V8 you HAVE to. Insurance will be higher as well because of your age and the engine type you pick. Make sure you factor all that cost in as well

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
If you ARE going to mod (the engine/drive train), I'd also second getting the V8. But you will see a large hit in fuel efficiency.
That's something many people don't think about when getting the V8. Besides significantly lower gas mileage in a SS, every gallon of gas you put into it will cost 30-50 cents more on average (high octane vs. 87 octane), depending on the brand of gas. It adds up and if one's fuel budget is tight, a V6 is the way to go (LS in particular).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #13
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
considering your parents are paying, get the most expensive model you can
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #14
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
I'm 18 and have a 2ss/rs. Insurance is probably the biggest factor. Mine is about the same as my car payment