Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #57
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Not that it matters too much, but my local dealer just got in a 2014 1LS and 2LS... The lower grilles are the same. I see no difference in the appearance in the cars except the MPG rating on the window sticker, so I'm thinking the 2.92 rear end gear has carried over from the 2012-2013 cars.
Interesting that they opted to make the grilles the same on the new models.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #58
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
I'll try "running the table up and down" and get back to you.

Personally, this isn't something I'd do regularly.
If I were that worried about throwing it through some gears and making a little noise, I'd have went with the 1LS.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #59
911medic

Gotcha. I'm just curious if yours functions the way other 2LS's do. I want the info in this thread to be accurate.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 08-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #60
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcamaro View Post
I bought my 2013 2LS a few months ago. Is there any way I can get the original 6.0 second 0-60 time just by taking it to a dyno and freeing up the remaining HP? I know they don't make tuners for the V6 models.
You could likely improve your performance with a tune, although I've heard they changed the ECM in the 2013's again, for some reason. I'm not sure you'll be able to find someone that can tune it yet. Will it be enough to overcome the gearing difference? That I don't know.

I do know that it will void the powertrain warranty on your shiny new car, though.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #61
LStick

Here ya go..........

Put it in M4........trans starts out in 1.......2......3.......4.......and stays there. Upshift with paddles to M5.....and M6 for top-out on freeway. You're right- select a higher gear and the trans runs the gears up normally up to the highest selected gear.

Put it in M1......stays in that gear (tach way past normal shift point)....needed to upshift to M2.....M3.....M4...M5....and finally M6.
HAD to shift as normal shift points were surpassed on the tach.
Downshifted using paddles and came to complete stop.

Put it in Drive..and hit the paddles.........paddles do nothing.

As far as limited slip rear end- couldn't tell you about that one. I suspect its a "peg leg" rear end.....seeing as the gearing is altogether different....and there's nothing on the spec info or MSRP sticker to indicate that is has limited slip.
The lower grill? Its an odd-ball for sure. Hardly any opening in it.

It currently gets 32 mpg on the freeway with the tires at 30 psi (for ride)
I'm raising the pressure on the tires (like I did on my Cobalt) and I should gain a few mpg that way.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #62
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LStick View Post
Here ya go..........

Put it in M4........trans starts out in 1.......2......3.......4.......and stays there. Upshift with paddles to M5.....and M6 for top-out on freeway. You're right- select a higher gear and the trans runs the gears up normally up to the highest selected gear.

Put it in M1......stays in that gear (tach way past normal shift point)....needed to upshift to M2.....M3.....M4...M5....and finally M6.

As far as limited slip rear end- couldn't tell you about that one. I suspect its a "peg leg" rear end.....seeing as the gearing is altogether different....and there's nothing on the spec info or MSRP sticker to indicate that is has limited slip.

I'm raising the pressure on the tires (like I did on my Cobalt) and I should gain a few mpg that way.
you got it, and the autos do not have limited slip, even the LT's are open.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #63
31B

Drives: 2014 Black 1SS A6
Send a message via Yahoo to 31B
Does not Tap Shift like a LT or SS. I have had it delay shifting until the car decided it wanted to shift. All the paddles do is select the gear range. It will downshift though as you selected a lower gear range.
31B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #64
911medic

Thank you, LStick for experimenting! I appreciate the effort. And yes, as others have stated, ALL V6 autos have an open diff (peg leg).

31B, thanks for confirming.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #65
ogre

Drives: 2013 2LS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by LStick View Post
Here ya go..........

32mpg sounds awesome! do you stay in the 55-60 mph range?
ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #66
strngz0731

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS (Black)
interesting...
i just bought a 2013 2ls eight days ago. i'm totally ok with a mild performance decrease for a mild fuel efficiency boost - but i was not told about how "manual" mode works in my car.
(unfortunately i can't do any testing or verify what axle code i have, because she's at the body shop - two days after i bought her, she was plowed into while she was parked...)
all i can say for certain is:
from the 30-ish miles i've actually driven her - so far - the gear indicator does not lower the number as i come to a stop (like manual mode would do in my 2012 cruze)
the window sticker clearly states "TRANSMISSION, 6 SPD AUTOMATIC w/ TAP SHIFT"
i guess i can vaguely mimic "real" tap-shift and constantly drop it back down to first every time i come to stop - but truth be told, i'm a little pissed off!
strngz0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #67
LStick

Sorry to hear your new one got hit. Hope they can get it "back to new" for you.

Yeah, the sales pitch and the result are apparently 2 different things on this model. I wasn't looking for the feature to be honest, but if someone was- yeah, I wouldn't be happy.

I raised the tire pressure and squeaked out a couple of MPGs more.
Not exactly a "Camaro XFE", but close enough.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #68
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by strngz0731 View Post
interesting...
i just bought a 2013 2ls eight days ago. i'm totally ok with a mild performance decrease for a mild fuel efficiency boost - but i was not told about how "manual" mode works in my car.
(unfortunately i can't do any testing or verify what axle code i have, because she's at the body shop - two days after i bought her, she was plowed into while she was parked...)
all i can say for certain is:
from the 30-ish miles i've actually driven her - so far - the gear indicator does not lower the number as i come to a stop (like manual mode would do in my 2012 cruze)
the window sticker clearly states "TRANSMISSION, 6 SPD AUTOMATIC w/ TAP SHIFT"
i guess i can vaguely mimic "real" tap-shift and constantly drop it back down to first every time i come to stop - but truth be told, i'm a little pissed off!
Sorry to hear your car got damaged so quickly. That sucks.

And I wish you'd seen this thread before you made your purchase, so you knew what you were getting into and were fully informed.

Examples like yours are why I started this thread. Good luck with the repairs, and welcome to the Camaro family!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #69
ryanyoung1768

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
I'm happy with the car, but I certainly wouldn't have purchased my 2LS knowing what I now know. That said, I love it, and I'll be driving it, permagrin in place, for many years.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #70
BUZZCAMARO

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS Inferno Orange
I've got over 6K miles on my '12 2LS, and this thread really explains what I have had wonders about. I just took a 1400 mile trip in it thru the hills of KY. and TN. and sometimes it would stutter like it chose a gear too high (while in auto)..

For last few months I discovered that when you are driving at any speed, changing into the M mode it automatically goes into a gear 1 lower than what I was in, you can hear it and see it on the tach.

But what I didn't know is that it can be set to set the max high gear, that would have been handy knowledge during that hilly drive, I'd have set max to 5th or 4th depending on my speed.

But during whole trip, kinda jonsin for it to have a few different modes to select, like one for economy (like the 2LS is while in auto), one for sport and maybe evan others like for drag racing.

Are the experts sure it does slow down the 0 - 60 time and 1/4 mile EVAN IF the 2LS is in the paddle shift mode (M) ?

BTW I read some of this before driving it to work and tried it out, I did NOT know that it still changes gears automatically while in M (to the max high gear selected).
But I should have known something was up when the few times I forgot I was in M and came to a stop, and took off again, did I think I was starting out last highest gear I paddle shifted to?

Bottom line, think I'd rather have 2 or 3 modes to pick from, eco. sport. drag. As for adding the highest gear lock thing like it has, that could also be useful.

I had a car with a manuel for 5 years, pure hell, changing gears was like a part time job for your foot and right hand. But on that car, (a '92 Eagle Talon awd 4 cyl. turbo), 1st gear got you only to about 15 mph before you needed 2nd, from 2nd on it wasn't that bad. So, on real high performance cars, like a ZL1, my opinion might be the complete opposite, since I hear it goes up to 60 in 1st gear.
BUZZCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote