Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #127
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFREEKSCOTTY View Post
Well, here's an option to actually DELETE the DOD/AFM, rather than only having a tune disable it via the ECM. (includes LS7 lifters)

http://texas-speed.com/p-717-dod-afm-delete-kit.aspx
Do not just tune out the ECM big mistake because you will still have AFM lifters and it could cause a catastrophic failure regardless of what anyone says don't buy that bag of beans!! Do it right the first time, delete valley, lifter change(all 16 lifters not just 8), Cam(3 bolt not single), pushrods, roller rockers, timing chain, timing gears, pin your crank(buy tool worth the money), port your heads while you are in there, also make sure some one is competent who does the work if not doing it yourself! Also the tune will take care of the rest...
Also your reasoning for FI is non-sense and don't let anyone tell you different, you can be Forced Induction and still use your whip as a daily driver!

So i agree with Chappy in this respect!

Last edited by RED DEMON SS; 09-13-2012 at 01:24 AM.
RED DEMON SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #128
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Janet, does this look anything like the Flowmasters you've got? (With the exception of the J-pipes!)

Name:  Flow 01.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  95.2 KB

Scotty will recognize them! Maybe we have the solution to each others problems!

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #129
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Old 09-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #130
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
Mind if I ask really quick why you've ruled out FI? Is it a personaly preference? Just to give you my experience I started with a CAI, Longtubes and a Maggie and it drove like stock. The only difference was when I started to get on it a little and started getting into the boost. That's when it would really take off. I almost miss those days because I still had some decent traction back in the low 500rwhp range lol.
I have 2 reasons for not going FI.

1: I was worried about being able to use it as a daily driver, as I've seen a couple guys with superchargers that can barely drive it lower than 10mph without them stalling. Though I have a feeling it was due to the cam they chose.

2: The primary reason is budget. It's not just the cost of the supercharger itself. But, it's also the added expense of all the supporting mods to do it right. (axles, transmission upgrades, forged mains, ported heads, etc.)

I just don't have the $15K - $20K it would take to do it right. Especially since I only bought the car in April and it'll be at least 4 years before i pay it off.

From everything I've learned, it seems that 500HP is the magic number. If i stay around 450 - 470HP, I can get away with not having to upgrade so many tertiary components. Thus, making it a lot more affordable for me to upgrade the horses in my pony car.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #131
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farthestnorth View Post
Do not just tune out the ECM big mistake because you will still have AFM lifters and it cause a catastrophic failure regardless of what anyone says do buy that bag of beans!! Do it right the first time, delete valley, lifter change(all 16 lifters not just 8), Cam(3 bolt not single), pushrods, roller rockers, timing chain, timing gears, pin your crank(buy tool worth the money), port your heads while you are in there, also make sure some one is competent who does the work if not doing it yourself! Also the tune will take care of the rest...
Also your reasoning for FI is non-sense and don't let anyone tell you different, you can be Forced Induction and still use your whip as a daily driver!

So i agree with Chappy in this respect!
So, in order of importance, do you think the LS3 conversion with a streetable cam is a higher priority than headers and HF Cats?
Old 09-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #132
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Quote:
So, in order of importance, do you think the LS3 conversion with a streetable cam is a higher priority than headers and HF Cats?
No not at all but if you do go to the motor do it all while your in there if you get my drift? It's much cheaper that way, also i would not get HF Cats, i would totally get rid of the cats all together and go with straight pipes. They have a tendency to melt on the inside, this is documented in many build threads on this site! High Flow should have an acronym of MM instead, MAD MELTDOWN! lol
Old 09-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #133
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farthestnorth View Post
No not at all but if you do go to the motor do it all while your in there if you get my drift? It's much cheaper that way, also i would not get HF Cats, i would totally get rid of the cats all together and go with straight pipes. They have a tendency to melt on the inside, this is documented in many build threads on this site! High Flow should have an acronym of MM instead, MAD MELTDOWN! lol
Yup. I get what you're saying. Do all the internal engine work i have planned for my build at the same time, since I'll have the engine opened up.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #134
1hotchevy
Scottish Knight

Drives: RS/2SS 6 speed manual
Quote:
I have 2 reasons for not going FI.

1: I was worried about being able to use it as a daily driver, as I've seen a couple guys with superchargers that can barely drive it lower than 10mph without them stalling. Though I have a feeling it was due to the cam they chose.

2: The primary reason is budget. It's not just the cost of the supercharger itself. But, it's also the added expense of all the supporting mods to do it right. (axles, transmission upgrades, forged mains, ported heads, etc.)

I just don't have the $15K - $20K it would take to do it right. Especially since I only bought the car in April and it'll be at least 4 years before i pay it off.

From everything I've learned, it seems that 500HP is the magic number. If i stay around 450 - 470HP, I can get away with not having to upgrade so many tertiary components. Thus, making it a lot more affordable for me to upgrade the horses in my pony car.

I agree with you, i cannot justify spending that kind of money just so i can say i have a super charger, if i was going to the track on a weekly basis i would for sure do this mod and everything that goes with it, but my daily driver already can pass most anything i come up against, just yesterday a gen 4 and i were chatting and he sais...lets see what she will do! i agreed as i hadnt been up against a gen4 yet...so at the green...i left him about 2 car lenghts behind me...he gave me the thumbs up and we went on our ways....was great fun, right now im at about 435 hp with a few mods and next week i add another that will take me to about 450hp...im thinking with a good tune that i should be around 455-460hp....plenty for my daily driver, its a 6 speed so making it much more would make it not so drivable when the traffic is cruising at a break neck speed of 3-5 mph!!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #135
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Scott, do you have to get emissions testing where you are?? New cars are exempt for 5 years, but after that.... You probably need to keep the cats.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #136
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
Scott, do you have to get emissions testing where you are?? New cars are exempt for 5 years, but after that.... You probably need to keep the cats.
Sure.. I have to get the emissions done.. but these days, they just plug a computer into the OBD2 port and pull the data off the ECU.

Though, I'm not sure if you can program whatever sensor monitors the cats to give a false "positive" to the emissions test computer.

Definitely will be something that I'd research and look into before deciding exactly what to do. There are a lot of high-flow cats out there that flow nearly as well as pure straight pipes.

As far as them melting down, I'd definitely be doing my homework before committing to buying.

Those that know me well, know that I'm very picky when it comes to my car (and other things).

Just about anything I buy or project I do, I research the hell out of all the options, read reviews, ask questions of end users, and decide the best way to get it accomplished.

Then, I put in a lot of effort to find the best deal on it. Anything over $100 is RARELY an "impulse buy".

Ask my wife, she'll tell you how OCD I can be when buying something.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #137
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Heh - register it to my address, I live out in the sticks and we don't have to test for emissions.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #138
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
Heh - register it to my address, I live out in the sticks and we don't have to test for emissions.
oh I love sticks lol, We dont have to test for emissions either here,
but I heard that washington state is going away from emission testing.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #139
Dragonlady
Lovin' it!

Drives: 2010 Synergy or a '83 Z-28.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
No emissions for us either! We don't belong to anyone
Old 09-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #140
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

No emissions here either, of course i am a part of a group you may have heard of? The land of Misfit Camaro's!