Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-08-2023, 11:46 AM   #15
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
What I meant when you check the heads is look at them from underneath in the cc chamber and see if there is severe pitting or valve seal damage where the valve actually meets the head. If too much then you should go to a new set.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 12:45 PM   #16
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
If you aren't worried about weight you can save some more $ and get an iron block.

I planned on reusing my heads, but i had some valve guide wear that the builder wasnt quite comfortable putting back in without going through them. Instead of having the car down even more, I ended up with a set of cnc'd lsa heads.

Yes on the HP oil pump.

What are you going to do for fuel system? Do you have e85 near you?
Old 08-08-2023, 03:21 PM   #17
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
QUOTE=H8Rain;11345043]This is all VERY helpful. I looked at Thompson and they are really expensive. I think if I were tracking or racing the car that would be a great option, but I'm just fair weather driving and jumping on it occasionally to beat the guy next to me.

So I think an aluminum black with forged piston and rods should be a good upgrade. I need to figure out the whole compression thing to see which I want to go with. Also need to figure out a cam that will be street drivable but provide that nice blub-blub-blub at idle.

When you say check my heads, do you mean for them being warped? I have never overheated so I'm thinking they should be good. Maybe use the heads but upgrade the valves, springs, pushrods, etc?

Do you think I should run a high-pressure oil pump?

I will be replacing the entire clutch as it was just starting to slip.

Thanks so much for information! I greatly appriciate it![/QUOTE]

Even trying to beat the guy next to you could blow up your engine. Hell, me just doing a 2-3 gear pull grenaded my engine. Check the heads to make sure they're not damaged, if they're good then re-use them. You'll need to change the springs/rods etc when you're upgrading the cam. Yes on the high pressure oil pump (that's what I have). As far as the cam, it's all preference. I ran a large cam for NA prior to going FI. It ran buttery smooth everywhere.
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 05:10 PM   #18
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I was in your exact situation. Windowed my stock block. Don't skimp on the fuel system.
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 05:18 PM   #19
H8Rain

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2SS
This is great information! Making my head spin a bit, but gathering as much information as possible before putting my shopping cart together. Going to also try and stop by Jannetty Racing in Waterbury CT to get their thoughts too (very reputable LS performance shop).

Question about my stock ECM and engine wiring harness.. can these be used with an upgraded like we are discussing. I’m guessing it will need to be tuned to work with the new parts I settle on, yes?

Thanks again for taking the time to help educate me.
H8Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 10:19 PM   #20
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8Rain View Post
This is great information! Making my head spin a bit, but gathering as much information as possible before putting my shopping cart together. Going to also try and stop by Jannetty Racing in Waterbury CT to get their thoughts too (very reputable LS performance shop).

Question about my stock ECM and engine wiring harness.. can these be used with an upgraded like we are discussing. I’m guessing it will need to be tuned to work with the new parts I settle on, yes?

Thanks again for taking the time to help educate me.
Tuning? Yes just a little. And your ECU and wiring harness should be fine.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 12:28 AM   #21
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
$5575

LS iron 402. New LY6 block, all forged internals. For the way you say you will use the car, don't sweat the extra ~110lbs. You will have a very strong foundation to run your LS3 heads and Whipple on.

https://cnc-motorsports.com/pro-stre...e-pistons.html

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 06:04 AM   #22
H8Rain

Dan, that is certainly interesting! So it’s an LS2 6.0 vs my LS3 6.2… that’s not a step backwards? My stock heads, etc. would work on this block?
Old 08-09-2023, 07:45 AM   #23
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Dan, that is certainly interesting! So it’s an LS2 6.0 vs my LS3 6.2… that’s not a step backwards? My stock heads, etc. would work on this block?
Its an LY6. They were in the old 2500, 3500 HD trucks. Iron block, more cubic inches (they add a 4 in stroke crank) and stronger than your LS3. Weight is what you are sacrificing.

I run an LY6 408 in mine and once break in miles are done i plan to push every bit of 1k - 1100whp.

Ultimately its up to you, but it sounds like you don't want to spend an extravagant amount on a block. This is a great alternative.

Grab a dual or triple pump fore fuel system with the money that you save.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:52 AM   #24
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
If you are mostly acceleration in a straight line, go iron block and turn up the boost to make up for the extra weight. If you like the curves, think hard on adding even more weight to the front end. You have already added weight with the SC, adding even more will hurt the handling.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 10:14 AM   #25
racesloth
Dan

Quote:
Yes, LS3 heads can be used on blocks with 4" bore and larger.

Not much difference between 4.030 and 4.065....

2010 IOM SS
Old 08-09-2023, 10:15 AM   #26
racesloth
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
If you are mostly acceleration in a straight line, go iron block and turn up the boost to make up for the extra weight. If you like the curves, think hard on adding even more weight to the front end. You have already added weight with the SC, adding even more will hurt the handling.
OP: "but I'm just fair weather driving and jumping on it occasionally to beat the guy next to me."

2010 IOM SS
Old 08-09-2023, 10:32 AM   #27
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by racesloth View Post
OP: "but I'm just fair weather driving and jumping on it occasionally to beat the guy next to me."
True.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 05:34 PM   #28
H8Rain

Again, thank you all for the suggestions!

I think I will pass on the iron block. I was leaning towards the ATK options but doing some online research they don’t get good reviews. I may bite the bullet and go with the Thompson that was suggested… https://www.thompsonmotorsports.net/...rgd-pis-stge-2

I’ll keep everyone updated on my journey.

Thanks again for your time and insight. You are all helping educate me on a new level of car mechanics I never thought I would be at!