Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-25-2024, 11:30 PM   #43
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
The rear brakes on the SS are also 4 piston, just smaller than the front 4 piston...

As others have said, there are a LOT of differences between an "SS" and an "LT1"... The "LT1" is basically the 2LT car with a V-8 engine...
But the rotors are the same size, the caliper is sliding with a bigger piston.
The SS has fixed caliper with 4 pistons.

I'd like to see what is the diameter of the pistons in the SS and LT1. Then calculate the Pad surface. I'm sure the brake performance difference is not much.
Most would say in a track day it matters, yes but the disc is what disspates the heat, not the caliper. So good pads should do it.

I think being the LT1 has 245's in the rear end, it doesn't need that much brake pressure, hence the single piston caliper.

Cooling wise the LT1 is missing the side coolant radiators. The rest is there.

I honestly don't think the LT1 is much cheaper to build, the differences are minimal mechanically. Its just a marketing stun to sell a V8 car and not lower the SS trim prices.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 08:46 AM   #44
24SS1LE

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I ended up with a new 23 LT1 A10 and ordered it with Tech Package, NPP, Recaros, Red Calipers, and Decklid Spoiler. I got it for $42,800. To me it wasn’t worth the extra $4000 to step up to a 1SS at the time, tho I do wish the LT1 came with the 275’s in the rear and that we had the HD Cooling option for it with the extra 2 coolant radiators. Other than that I didn’t need all the fancy creature comforts for it. I originally bought this car for straight line stuff rather than track or mountains.

Now, I did end up with a 24 2SS 1LE M6 in Vivid Orange Metallic because I couldn’t pass it up. Someone ordered it, it came in, and they ended up backing out.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:53 AM   #45
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post

I'd like to see what is the diameter of the pistons in the SS and LT1. Then calculate the Pad surface. I'm sure the brake performance difference is not much.
Most would say in a track day it matters, yes but the disc is what disspates the heat, not the caliper. So good pads should do it.

I think being the LT1 has 245's in the rear end, it doesn't need that much brake pressure, hence the single piston caliper.

I honestly don't think the LT1 is much cheaper to build, the differences are minimal mechanically. Its just a marketing stun to sell a V8 car and not lower the SS trim prices.
Many of the 22+ LT1's came with the C8Z51 rotors and pads, if yours has the allen bolts on the front calipers it is of that spec.( BCD)
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:35 AM   #46
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post

Plugging my thread

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614204

I can’t say 100% on the LT1 as from brake and rotor sites they list the same as other LT cars but some people mentioned they may have SS sized front calipers? The rears are the same as LT though. The Copper-Free Brakes (BCD) can be had on any trim LT1 or above. It’s what essentially killed the LT 1LE option as they didn’t allow BCD to be ordered or given to LT cars and easier to kill it than develop another brake option just for a small subset this late on

Edit: although when searching the 2020-2024 Excel sheet, J55 shows for both LT and LT1 cars while J6G only shows for SS cars so I’m sticking with my table

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Many of the 22+ LT1's came with the C8Z51 rotors and pads, if yours has the allen bolts on the front calipers it is of that spec.( BCD)
If yours came with the 6 Piston BCD could you tell me or PM me your VIN? I don’t see BCD for any LT1’s on the sheet so maybe they made a new RPO?
Attached Images

Happiness: Infinite

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 01-26-2024 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Edited chart
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:24 PM   #47
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
Plugging my thread

I can’t say 100% on the LT1 as from brake and rotor sites they list the same as other LT cars but some people mentioned they may have SS sized front calipers? The rears are the same as LT though. The Copper-Free Brakes (BCD) can be had on any trim LT1 or above. It’s what essentially killed the LT 1LE option as they didn’t allow BCD to be ordered or given to LT cars and easier to kill it than develop another brake option just for a small subset this late on

Edit: although when searching the 2020-2024 Excel sheet, J55 shows for both LT and LT1 cars while J6G only shows for SS cars so I’m sticking with my table

If yours came with the 6 Piston BCD could you tell me or PM me your VIN? I don’t see BCD for any LT1’s on the sheet so maybe they made a new RPO?
No 6 piston, 4 pot monoblock but it was a CA delivered car so it came with the larger Z51 rotors and pads. There's a thread on here somewhere about it as a few people couldn't get matching performance front pads for their LT1's because they were the BCD variety. CA mandates them along with WA state.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 08:07 PM   #48
Kamero6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
Plugging my thread

My LT1 is late 2023 model. So I have the front calipers with allens and looks like they are same as C8 front. 4 piston.
Rotor is 30mm thick(measured). Diameter I will have to remove the wheel to see it. So 2 diameter options so far according to your info post.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:09 PM   #49
Kamero6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
I ran the RPO codes and says J55. No other code looks like is a modifier of J55.

I think they have way more codes and configurations than what's showed in the RPO's

As I said, mine is late 2023, C8Z51 looks like. 30mm thickness rotor
Old 01-26-2024, 08:17 PM   #50
Kamero6

Just found this.... very specific

J55 Brakes, Z51 performance
J55 Brakes, Brembo 4-piston front, performance, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
J55 Brakes, Black Brembo front
J55 Brakes, Brembo front, performance 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
J55 Brake system, heavy duty
J55 Brakes, Brembo V Performance front
J55 Brakes, Heavy-Duty 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
J55 BRAKE SYSTEM,HEAVY DUTY POWER

https://decoderpo.com/pages/J.html
Old 01-27-2024, 06:55 AM   #51
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
Is LT1 an SS?

Pretty much. The only thing LT1 lacks is SS extra weight and some items that mostly benefit SS at a road racing course, but not at a dragstrip.

Ironically, both SS and LT1 are sad kin on a road racing course as compared to their brethern with superior 1LE packages. Depending on the course, you will even find Camaro Turbo 4- and 6-cylinder models with better lap times than stock LT1 and non-1LE SS models. Blasphemy, right SS owners? Except they laugh at you when they take your lunch money.

Many prefer their smaller engine 1LEs to the bloated LT1 and SS V8 models, since the smaller engined cars are better stopping and handling due to lighter weight and better chassis balance. They also have better fuel economy.

So, while many arrogant non-1LE SS owners blindly criticize other Camaros and their owners, their "hallowed" SS cars are really mid tier. Just ask anyone with a 1LE package. Oh, and don't forget the top-of-the line ZL1 models (it's really not a Camaro if it's missing a supercharger and/or 650 hp)

Otherwise maybe it makes most sense to simply appreciate all of the trim/model lines of Gen 6 Camaro, and their owners. This type of thinking respects owner choices, premised upon their situations, needs, wants, and value systems, and yours.

Last edited by LT1gen6; 01-27-2024 at 08:52 AM.
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 01:44 PM   #52
david_acm

Drives: LT1
Long thread to just say:

An LT1 is not an SS.
david_acm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 02:12 PM   #53
Cardiak

Drives: Boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
The LT1 model is confusing having grown up in the era of the Gen II small-block LT1, 5.7 used in the 4th gen Camaro and late 4th gen Corvette, among others. I'm glad the modern "LT1" (engine) doesn't have an Optispark.

And the fact that there'a 1LT model, don't confuse it with LT1... which I think is dumb anyway, 1LT, 2LT, 1SS, 2SS. "I have a Camaro 2SS!" We're splitting hairs over leather seats and a few options, the car is an SS, or an LT. At least the exterior badges aren't 1SS, 2SS, etc.

On former Camaros the 1LE was silent. No badging. Because that's the spirit of the model.

I kind of wish GM would have called the V6 cars the Camaro Sport Coupe, with the LT1 just being an engine option, making it a V8 Sport Coupe.

LT1 RS is kind of a mouthful. So is SS 1LE.

GM made a beautiful thing complicated. Now get off my lawn!
It's a good thing It's not as bad as SRT Hellcat Widebody Jailbreak Last Call Edition.
Cardiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 03:04 PM   #54
Kamero6

Guys you're arguing about marketing names. The engineers literally don't care and are not involved in the Badges and marketing names.

They literally designed a V8 muscle car, with different equipment for different purposes and then handed the car to marketing to set the price points and names.

Physics don't care about names or marketing. Most of the optionals are a rip off. The 7 or 8 inch screen cost the same, one is just ugly on purpose get another 1000 from you.

The differential cooler only prevents gear failure by overheating. Doesn't give you more performance.
27 piston caliper in the back is not making a difference braking hard when 80% of the weight is transfered to the front.
Old 01-27-2024, 03:09 PM   #55
Kamero6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiak View Post
It's a good thing It's not as bad as SRT Hellcat Widebody Jailbreak Last Call Edition.
You forgot the "Redeye" between "Hellcat" and "Widebody"

That names changes the max boost table value from 11000011010101100 to 11000011010101110.