Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
naikaidriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
AUX/USB/Audio Bluetooth Not Working

I just got my 2010 2SS last week and I only have managed to find one problem with the car. Not bad for a car with 51k miles on it but this one is tough to ignore.

My car is equipped with the USB jack as well as the AUX jack so I would assume that it has the PDIM installed from the factory. My phone pairs just fine with the stereo for the phone and it works fantastically. However, when I press the CD/AUX button on the stereo, it just says "NO CD INSERTED" and goes back to whatever it was doing.

I've tried plugging my iPod in the USB port and while it charges it, neither the stereo or iPod recognize that they are connected to anything. If I connect my phone or my iPod to the coaxial audio jack, neither the car, or the audio devices notice that they are plugged into anything. (normally my phone detects headphones or whatever and activates Beats Audio).

I'm about ready to take it back to the Chevy dealer to have them look at it but I thought I would give you guys a chance to chime in and see if anyone else had experienced this issue as well.

Thanks guys!
Scott
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Scott, obviously you have an issue.....but before you go to the dealer, find out which PDIM Hardware/Software you have......its easy to find out.

1. Turn the ignition on.
2. Turn the Radio on and have something like a USB drive with mp3 on it is in the drive.
3. Select USB/AUX so that its reading it.
4. push and hold down the Select/Menu button for 8 - 10 seconds and the HW/SW version will be displayed. like this..... if its never been changed, it most certainly be CD/CC or CD/CD. as you can see mine is DB/DD, which is the most recent HW/SW version available. There was a TSB sent out a few years ago addressing all sort of issues with the PDIM's in our cars. Here is the TSB as well.

PI0055B with GM PN#.pdf

Name:  DB-DD.jpg
Views: 18690
Size:  56.7 KB
Old 11-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
el-guapin
Trust No One!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT/RS
Sir Nuke... Thanks 4 sharing!
Old 11-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
naikaidriver

Thanks for posting this Sir! I'll try an actual USB stick with some random MP3 on it instead of my iPod and see if I can get to the AUX input screen.

At any rate, I'll print out the TSB and bring it with me. The sales manager at the dealership just tried telling me that Bluetooth audio wasn't an option on the 2010 Camaro SS. From everything that I have read, it's standard on the 2SS and if you have a USB plug-in, it should work.

Regards,
Scott
Old 11-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
Yep, sounds like you have an issue and I am not sure your dealer knows what he is talking about. My experience with my 2012, I have the 2LT which is like the 2SS except for the engine. The USB should give you AUX functionality, if you plug in a USB stick it will index each time you turn on your car. For testing a USB stick keep your MP3 file count relatively low and keep the files right on the root. I use Bluetooth for just my phone, not music. Good luck getting it working.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
Mongo RS

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
Thanks for posting this Sir! I'll try an actual USB stick with some random MP3 on it instead of my iPod and see if I can get to the AUX input screen.

At any rate, I'll print out the TSB and bring it with me. The sales manager at the dealership just tried telling me that Bluetooth audio wasn't an option on the 2010 Camaro SS. From everything that I have read, it's standard on the 2SS and if you have a USB plug-in, it should work.

Regards,
Scott
If you do not have your owner's manual, your can download a PDF here:

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...aro_owners.pdf

Page 6-19 shows the setup for Bluetooth audio. Print this page and tell the dealer "yes, 2010 Camaros were available with Bluetooth audio. Fix it."

Btw , my 2010 2LT/RS has it.
Mongo RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
naikaidriver

Thanks for the help guys! I'll be sure to update this thread as I move forward getting his resolved.

Scott
Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
naikaidriver

Looks my car will be headed to the shop tomorrow. I tested a 16GB USB stick formatted to FAT32 and two .mp3's at the root of the volume. The light in the USB stick doesn't come on and when I press CD/AUX, the stereo only says "No CD Inserted" then goes back to the radio.

Not sure how its possible but for some reason, it's like that the AUX function has been wiped from the stereo.

Is anyone aware of a way to boot the stereo into a "Factory Default" or "Diagnostic Mode"? I've been trying to dig up a good GM Service Manual on the subject but coming up empty.

Scott
Old 11-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
djcfuzz

If the light doesn't come on for the USB stick there is no power, so maybe you just have a bad PDIM, the dealership may be able to reprogram the PDIM and get it working, if not it would need to be replaced. I had no luck finding a way to reset the radio by yourself either.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
Mongo RS

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
Were you able to connect with Bluetooth?
Mongo RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
naikaidriver.....reading your posts closer, you stated that " I press CD/AUX, the stereo only says "No CD Inserted" then goes back to the radio." well there is a good reason for that. When you press the CD/AUX button ONCE, that is what it checks and looks for a CD and says there isn't one and goes back to the radio....that is unless when you press the CD/AUX button TWICE, or 3 times or 4 times, or 5...... it will go and look for the USB and will display that on the screen. anytime you want to change what mode you want to use (AM, FM, USB, XM, ETC..) ..... push the CD/AUX button and continue to push it and it "scrolls" through all; of the different modes, each push of the button changes to another mode.

SO if you never pushed the CD/AUX button multiple times to change the mode to USB.....it would have never read it.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #12
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
naikaidriver.....reading your posts closer, you stated that " I press CD/AUX, the stereo only says "No CD Inserted" then goes back to the radio." well there is a good reason for that. When you press the CD/AUX button ONCE, that is what it checks and looks for a CD and says there isn't one and goes back to the radio....that is unless when you press the CD/AUX button TWICE, or 3 times or 4 times, or 5...... it will go and look for the USB and will display that on the screen. anytime you want to change what mode you want to use (AM, FM, USB, XM, ETC..) ..... push the CD/AUX button and continue to push it and it "scrolls" through all; of the different modes, each push of the button changes to another mode.

SO if you never pushed the CD/AUX button multiple times to change the mode to USB.....it would have never read it.
But if he doesn't have a light in the USB flashdrive it means he has no power. My Sundisk lights up as soon as I plug it in.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
naikaidriver

Update:
I took the car to the dealership where I bought it and after having their technician look at it, seems that the previous owner spilled coffee in the console shorting out the USB and PDIM module itself.

While the car was sold to me without any kind of warranty they still wanted to take care of me so they have offered to replace the PDIM for $240 out the door. Can't complain about that and they also hooked me up with a spare key for $70! They do swear up and down that only cars equipped with the MyLink head unit have audio Bluetooth. We'll see.

BTW. You're right that I didn't explicitly state that I tried pushing the CD/AUX button more than once in rapid succession but I assure you I did. . Thanks for the ideas though!

Scott
Old 11-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #14
djcfuzz

I have a 2012, it does not have MyLink as they weren't available until 2013 and I have Bluetooth.

A new PDIM can be had for about $140 so I don't think they are doing you any favors, JMO.