Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Arrow Cai

I was talking with a neighbor of mine that has a Zl1 and and just put a Roto-fab cai system on. says he noticed an immediate increase in Hp, I was wondering how much Hp can you expect from that kind of upgrade?, and will it really be noticeable or is it more Hype?.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
you opened a big can of worms, some people say yes and 3-5 hp some say 0 or even less hp, Long story short get a Cai if you like the look and sound.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
Emvici

if it is making more sound from the supercharger (as he claims it does), does that mean that the supercharger is making more power?.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS
xquest91x

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS/RS
You get a lot of butt horse power but the truth is about 5-10hp max but your mind n butt say 50hp lol
H/C + Bolt-ons + Tune •485RWHP/435RWTQ•
Full BMR Stage 2&3 Suspension
3.91 1LE Gear Diff Swap
MGW Short Throw Shifter
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
I was talking with a neighbor of mine that has a Zl1 and and just put a Roto-fab cai system on. says he noticed an immediate increase in Hp, I was wondering how much Hp can you expect from that kind of upgrade?, and will it really be noticeable or is it more Hype?.
We just hooked up one of our local ZL1 guys with a CAI Inc intake and VMAX ported throttle body. It was not dyno'd but the difference was more noticeable than on the SS or V6s. Also, you can hear the supercharger scream now. Definitely worth the money in my opinion.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
jared355

Drives: 2013 Zl1 663 RWHP
Before I did major modding on my zl1 the only thing I had on was the roto fab. I had a lot of work done at speedtek and when they dynoed it I actually lost a lot of hp because it was running so rich. The roto fab really does need a tune. It makes the blower louder which makes you think it's faster but you will lose power without a tune
jared355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared355 View Post
Before I did major modding on my zl1 the only thing I had on was the roto fab. I had a lot of work done at speedtek and when they dynoed it I actually lost a lot of hp because it was running so rich. The roto fab really does need a tune. It makes the blower louder which makes you think it's faster but you will lose power without a tune
You have got to be kidding me! I bought a new Z and before It was delivered I ordered a roto-fab because I read at least 50 threads here that it would give you the sound of the blower more but did not read one thread where it said you would lose power. I hope I did not lose HP by putting this CAI on because I do not want to have a tune put in my car that I cannot take to any dealer and they see it has a tune different than the factory one.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
You have got to be kidding me! I bought a new Z and before It was delivered I ordered a roto-fab because I read at least 50 threads here that it would give you the sound of the blower more but did not read one thread where it said you would lose power. I hope I did not lose HP by putting this CAI on because I do not want to have a tune put in my car that I cannot take to any dealer and they see it has a tune different than the factory one.

News to me too. Rotofab has posts or at least people that installed them got up to 25 hp gain. Look around, the proof is all over this site. Funny how these topics start all over each new model year.
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
JtutZL1

Drives: ZL1 red/Carbon fiber
I can not speak for roto-fab but I can say Lingenfelter high flow CAI did give me more hp & torque. I went with Lingenfelter for they stated it did not need a tune also the shop I used (RMCR) stated the same. We did a before and after Dyno, (DYNOJET) for a baseline to verify the above statements. Before CAI RWHP= 467.86. Torque= 490.60
The sound and responsiveness was instantly noticeable. I recommend it
After instal RWHP= 516.20 Torque= 508.01. NO tune needed. The only other mod is oil catch can. I hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
jared355

Ya I was pretty shocked, but that's the only thing that was on the car and it made me lose power for sure. Maybe rotofab is saying 20hp with a tune?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #11
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared355 View Post
Ya I was pretty shocked, but that's the only thing that was on the car and it made me lose power for sure. Maybe rotofab is saying 20hp with a tune?

Could the dyno be in error? I didnt dyno mine before or after but I sure dont feel any power loss. Its the main reason I bought the rotofab, I didnt want to do a tune and bust my waranty. All the others at the time in 2012 required a tune. This is from their site.

This is the first time I heard someone report a loss and not a gain. I guess get a tune and see what happens?? Good luck.

2012-14 Camaro ZL1 Air Intake System

• Item #: 10161019

Our Roto-fab air intake system for the ZL1 features a new air box design, MAF housing and inlet elbow unique to the ZL1. The air filter itself is the same one we use with our other Camaro intake systems. Like our previous systems, no modifications to the vehicle or its components is required. Further, NO TUNE REQUIRED! We have carefully designed this system to work well with the stock calibration.

(Notice they dont claim a gain, hmmm...)
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #12
jared355

No I don't think the dyno could have been at fault especially there, it could just be my engine... Which wouldn't make much sense but it's possible, but I lost like 20 hp because it was so rich and I thought my car was making more power. All in my head I guess.
Lol I would hate if I just uncovered this. I wouldn't mind someone doing a before and after with stock tune just to see if they get similar results. It makes perfect sense to me though why it would run rich
Old 11-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #13
Emvici

If you look at the tailpipe before the Cai, you can clearly see that it is running Super Rich. How do the tailpipes look after the Cai has been installed?. If It is still running rich, I would say, it doesn't need a tune, but if the tailpipe is a lot cleaner, there is a big possibility with all that extra airflow, that it is running a lot leaner then it should be?. I can't help but imagine that increasing the airflow that much more would need a tune.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtutZL1 View Post
I can not speak for roto-fab but I can say Lingenfelter high flow CAI did give me more hp & torque. I went with Lingenfelter for they stated it did not need a tune also the shop I used (RMCR) stated the same. We did a before and after Dyno, (DYNOJET) for a baseline to verify the above statements. Before CAI RWHP= 467.86. Torque= 490.60
The sound and responsiveness was instantly noticeable. I recommend it
After instal RWHP= 516.20 Torque= 508.01. NO tune needed. The only other mod is oil catch can. I hope this helps.

I thought the lingenfelter was actually just a rotofab in disguise
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote