Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #43
NTGILTY

Drives: 06 GTO, 2010 2SS/RS RJT, 2008 G8
Man i cant wait to get mine...i still have until october lol
NTGILTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #44
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
I agree so much on the seats. Had a couple 4 hour drives this week in the Camaro and my bad back felt great. 10 hours in the truck today and I was hurting all over after 2 hours. Love the 5th gen ride.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #45
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Great synopsis, Tag. I value your opinion as all of us here do, so it's reassuring to hear all of your positive comments. Yeah, seems weird to me too, but for some reason pictures don't do this car justice....can't explain it.

Great traction, huh? And yes, my L99 needs some lower gears.

Exactly, the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. Great lower and upper back support.

I like the controls too. The number of things this car's electronics monitors is staggering. The lighting, ABL too, is awesome. Gotta get the dash ABL someday, hopefully, if it becomes an option.

The ride is better than my 350Z and at least as quiet inside too.

I've been thinking that too about the wiper blades, very smooth and streamlined with "spoilers" built in. Little thing I suppose, but a nice touch.

Took mine to the bodyshop where I've had work done before, and after one of the guys walked around the car, he said, "They did it right." I asked him what he meant, and he said, "well usually on first run production cars nothing lines up/matches, but this car is good."

And have you noticed the emergeny brake? The base isn't a piece of bulky accordian rubber, but a nifty piece of plastic that pivots with the arm.

Well done job all around by GM!
Old 07-04-2009, 01:07 AM   #46
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^Excellent added points! There is so much you could elaborate on that it would just take forever. The only thing I wish I could keep the same on this car?....

The new car smell....the leather.....oooooh, how I love that new car smell. NOTHING can replace it. I've been driving with the windows up everywhere I go. I wish I could keep that smell forever. Anyhow....

I LOVE the DIC too. There are some very cool gauges on there that are actually VERY useful.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:46 AM   #47
ItIsWhatItIs

Drives: #5 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
^Excellent added points! There is so much you could elaborate on that it would just take forever. The only thing I wish I could keep the same on this car?....

The new car smell....the leather.....oooooh, how I love that new car smell. NOTHING can replace it. I've been driving with the windows up everywhere I go. I wish I could keep that smell forever. Anyhow....

I LOVE the DIC too. There are some very cool gauges on there that are actually VERY useful.
If anyone could reproduce that smell and sell it...that person could easily retire as a multi-millionaire the next day. Since I'm already retired I'll leave that up to you. Wouldn't mind the money though!
ItIsWhatItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #48
nascarnate326
Team Green

Drives: 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Send a message via AIM to nascarnate326
Tag would you say then that the 4th gens provide more of the "old muscle car feel" then? When ever I drive my 4th gen I always tell me self that the bumps, rattles, noise, vibrations ect are "part of the muscle car feeling". Would you agree? Sounds like the 5th gen is pretty darn solid, and yours looks AMAZING in pics, cant imagine what it looks like in your garage every morning
nascarnate326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #49
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Quote:
The new car smell....the leather.....oooooh, how I love that new car smell. NOTHING can replace it. I've been driving with the windows up everywhere I go. I wish I could keep that smell forever.
I know what you mean. I want to have the windows down to hear the exhaust, but also want to keep the smell and the dirty air out, so like you, am keeping them up.
And yes, one could go on almost forever with the notable features of the car, although I did have a few negatives on the list I made shortly after getting the car, things such as the mundane gray Brembo calipers with no clearcoat as those on my 350Z, no mid-interior dome light, no door courtesy lights, the doors needing a little coaxing to close solidly and the "black" interior actually being charcoal gray. But those things are all minor and acceptable, barely detracting from all the positives.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:12 AM   #50
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
So, Tag- You have touched upon these points before, but I would like you to clarify them. You owned an SLP modded (not stock) SS 4th-Gen, and now you own a mostly stock 5th-gen.

As far as power is concerned, you state that the 5th may not have the low-end "grunt" factor, but once the LS3 cam starts pulling, it just keeps pulling. Right?

So, for real-world track comparisons - those that are used to the 4th might have fun off the line, but do you think the LS3 will out-pull the LS1 once it gets into the sweet spot, even with the SLP mods on the LS1? Do you think this would equal to a better overall lap time on a road course, if you can effectively manage the power vs. "throwability" ratio?

And, even more important, what are your thoughts regarding overall weight and handling?

Is the 5th Gen more easily thrown into a corner? Does it handle the G's better than the 4th? Do the tires "bark" as much as the 4th when on the limit of handling?

Brakes? Will the 5th gen clamp the speed down as good or better without fade or wobble?

Thanks!!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #51
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:

On the other hand, I do need to try to duplicate this again.

I was driving at about 50, slowed to about 30 to 25 and while letting go of the brakes, did a hard right. As I turned, I felt a stiff, almost grinding feel in the steering wheel. It almost felt as if something were touching the steering shaft under the hood. I stopped, looked, and nothing was even close to it. Strange. That got me thinking about the brakes...

I have no idea...but it was weird. I'll have to duplicate it again if I can.
That sounds like the computer-assisted braking controlling skid/wheel spin. My RX8 does the same thing in a hard turn if I have the DSC engaged. Probably just the traction/stability control keeping things in shape.

I'm so glad your car has lived up to your expectations which I know were incredibly high. It's a testament to what the Camaro team has accomplished that you can fly into this hoping for the moon and come out impressed above your dreams.

I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #52
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnate326 View Post
Tag would you say then that the 4th gens provide more of the "old muscle car feel" then? When ever I drive my 4th gen I always tell me self that the bumps, rattles, noise, vibrations ect are "part of the muscle car feeling". Would you agree? Sounds like the 5th gen is pretty darn solid, and yours looks AMAZING in pics, cant imagine what it looks like in your garage every morning
4th Gen provides more of a muscle car feel. Just my opinion. Yes, you could feel the bumps and rattles in that car....and you won't feel them in the 5th Gen. It's smoooooooth. I mentioned that it was like driving a mercedes....and it really is that smooth. Maybe after it gets even more broken in......you might feel the bumps... HOPE NOT! I LOVE THE RIDE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
I know what you mean. I want to have the windows down to hear the exhaust, but also want to keep the smell and the dirty air out, so like you, am keeping them up.
And yes, one could go on almost forever with the notable features of the car, although I did have a few negatives on the list I made shortly after getting the car, things such as the mundane gray Brembo calipers with no clearcoat as those on my 350Z, no mid-interior dome light, no door courtesy lights, the doors needing a little coaxing to close solidly and the "black" interior actually being charcoal gray. But those things are all minor and acceptable, barely detracting from all the positives.
Yeah, I found a few negatives. But, those are few and far between. The positives FAR outweigh negatives (darn USB interface indexing, losing connection, etc...nothing big). The postitives really outweigh the negatives and I am LOVING it. And no courtesty lights? Hrm? For each side?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KZ28_For_Now View Post
So, Tag- You have touched upon these points before, but I would like you to clarify them. You owned an SLP modded (not stock) SS 4th-Gen, and now you own a mostly stock 5th-gen.
Correct.
As far as power is concerned, you state that the 5th may not have the low-end "grunt" factor, but once the LS3 cam starts pulling, it just keeps pulling. Right?
Yep. But now that low end seems to kind of be emerging even more....it's strange, actually. Might be breaking in the engine. Maybe I'm just getting used to it...but...YES. The LS3 just keeps pulling. It's VERY similar to the LS1.
So, for real-world track comparisons - those that are used to the 4th might have fun off the line, but do you think the LS3 will out-pull the LS1 once it gets into the sweet spot, even with the SLP mods on the LS1?
It could. I'll tell you this....It's going to be REALLY close. Only getting it out there on the track will tell. But, in MY experience, it will be close.

Do you think this would equal to a better overall lap time on a road course, if you can effectively manage the power vs. "throwability" ratio?
Don't know...I have not done any hard braking or road racing. I think with stock for stock, it would be a very close race. I would need to get out and find a road course I could take the 5th Gen on. I haven't gotten on it like that to say.
And, even more important, what are your thoughts regarding overall weight and handling?
So far, the Brembos do their job really well. The LS3 also moves it like a 4th Gen. So, for an extra few hundred pounds, the cars upgrades (over the 4th Gens) do what they are supposed to do. Now, toss in the LS1 and some stock brakes and you'd have 4th Gens killing 5th Gens all day long.
Is the 5th Gen more easily thrown into a corner? Does it handle the G's better than the 4th?
MMMmmmm...hadn't really pushed it that hard yet. I'll let you know, though.
Do the tires "bark" as much as the 4th when on the limit of handling?
Not yet. But as you can see above, I've got some testing to do.

Brakes? Will the 5th gen clamp the speed down as good or better without fade or wobble?
Gotta road race it first...and stomp on the brakes a few times. I KNOW what brake fade is in the 4th Gen. I have yet to work it that hard to get it to fade in the 5th. Lord knows that I hope there is no wobble like a 4th Gen!!! That was....like....NORMAL!

Thanks!!
Hope to answer a few of those soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
That sounds like the computer-assisted braking controlling skid/wheel spin. My RX8 does the same thing in a hard turn if I have the DSC engaged. Probably just the traction/stability control keeping things in shape.

I'm so glad your car has lived up to your expectations which I know were incredibly high. It's a testament to what the Camaro team has accomplished that you can fly into this hoping for the moon and come out impressed above your dreams.

I can't wait for mine to arrive.
I sure hope that was computer assisted. Only happened when braking. I tried letting go of the brakes a few times with a second or two before turning and there was nothing. It just turned hard. Hit the brakes and ride them through the turn and *GRRRRR*...that feeling just comes back like something is hitting the drive shaft.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #53
IROCTPI

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 305 TPI 700R4
old thread i know, Anyhow great write up and now i REALLY want a 5th gen SS! I wish they wernt so damn heavy though, i know the brakes and power make up for it but there is so much more potential if the weight could easily be lowered. Do you think Chevy will lower the weight of these sometime or are they just going keep adding power?

Well since you made the tread over a yr ago could you update your comparison for us? Thanks!
IROCTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #54
MSG'

Drives: 2010 1SS Camaro
talk about an old thread, after having my car 11 months, this is one of the reviews that helped me decide to get this car, thanks TAG!
MSG' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #55
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Necro thread. Nice!!
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #56
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Great review TAG, this perspective works for me

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote