Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
FASTDIESEL

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics
187,878 Mile Update

Had to replace the oil pressure sensor on Mr. Freeze today. Wife complained her remote start wouldn't work (it's winter!). Apparently the check engine light has been on a few days AND the oil PSI gauge reading -0-! Glad it wasn't the oil pump.

Cover was already off the engine. Patience and various extensions (and a wobble joint) will get the sensor out and back in WITHOUT removing the intake.

Previous repairs (last update):

181,881 miles - New Firestone wing foots. 80,000 miles on these babies!!! Coulda got 10K more, but weather won't be getting any better, plus one had a big hole in it from road debris (wasn't going to replace just one tire). They got a little noisy at about 50K, but still wore and drove good.

180,305 miles - The other HID headlight died. Bought one cheap ($20.00) after paying big bucks for one last year. Someone on eBay was selling a "spare" they bought. I knew I'd be ending it!

Love these Gen 5's. GREAT CARS!

copy/paste from previous update...

Can't believe its been a year since I've been logged-in! These cars are do dependable, I don't need to check-in all the time, to ask for help!

Just had to do a repair on hun's daily. The first bulb I've had to replace...EVER! OK, I have played with the DRL bulbs, but that wasn't necessary. Only gripe I have is the cost. The stock HID bulb was $109.74 at Autozone! Easy to change. No need to take the bumper cover or inner fenders loose. Snake your hand in there, loosen and remove the plastic cap, turn locking ring a little counter clockwise, remove bulb, unplug, transfer locking ring to new bulb...reinstall in reverse order. Take your time, it's really easy.

So far, the only repairs have been:
- Oil pan leak repaired under warranty.
- Noisy wheel hub (21" brutal P-Zeros killed it?)
- One key stopped working. Replaced with "recall" key.
- Broken sway bar link on the left side ($15.00).Had been hit by something?
- Headlight

Original, A/C Delco battery lasted EIGHT years!

I'd say, the Camaro SS is a DROP-DEAD-DEPENDABLE daily. 18 MPG average between 5-6K mi. oil changes. One set of brake pads.

Stainless Engineering headers and off-road pipes are holding up nicely. One side has even been bottomed-out (hard), no leaks or cracks (70K mi./4 years).

Firestone 19" all seasons have over 70K mi. (double the life of P-Zeros!). Will have to have a new set of shoes next year.

Had to remove the VariRam CAI. During the summer, the A/C compressor would quit working in stop-n-go traffic, at high ambients (over 90 degrees F). With the radiator (and fans) tilted back, the condenser airflow was hindered. Putting the radiator back in the stock location helped.
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:59 PM   #2
FASTDIESEL

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics
192,685 mile update. Had to put in a set of plugs. These were installed at the time headers were done. they have about 90K on them. I had a random miss fire on #8 cylinder (check engine light was on). I had noticed the engine popping a little more than usual at start-up (LT 1 7/8, no cats, stock remainder of exhaust). Three of the 8 plugs had NO TIP left (that's about .100" gap!). New set of AC Delco 41-110's. She's good for another 90K!

I love these cars. DROP DEAD DEPENDABLE!

Things that will need attention in the not-so-distant future;

A/C compressor is whining a bit. Maybe a summer project.

And a little bit of coolant stain around the plastic radiator top tank.

Closing in on 200K. Guess it's time for a few repairs.
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:03 PM   #3
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
These cars are made to be driven
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:36 PM   #4
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
WOW! This thread makes me happy. People always talk about the L99 lifters going. I guess not always!
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Outstanding!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Just goes to show, a little simple maintenance goes a long way.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:18 AM   #7
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
damn that is amazing!!

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #8
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Maybe keeping the AFM function alive reduces the lifter failures.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #9
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
I think high quality synthetic oil is the secret, too many dealers-garages put in the cheapest crap they can buy. OR never change it and charge for it. I looked at a Firebird once with the LS engine that was serviced regularly at a local dealer. I seen all the receipts and intervals, car only had 36k on it. There was so much crap in the engine all the lifters failed! Sounded like a old model T. Dealer tried to pass it off as piston slap. Cost the guy over 2k and it still should of had the engine torn down and cleaned.

Same with these 3.6 engines timing chain failures, cheap oil and low level kills um quickly. They are lubricated by splash and oil vapor washing over them, THATS IT! If you are using regular cheap oil and always letting it run a 1/2 quart low you are going to need chains as some point. And don't count on the dealer using good oil unless you check it. ALL 3.6 engines should be using full synthetic oils weather they meet the spec or not. In my opinion even M1 is not good enough if you want to never touch the chains.

My father bought a new Caprice last year they were made and ALWAYS had it serviced at the local dealer where he bought it. I looked over it a few times and found the oil filter and oil looked very old for just being changed a thousand miles ago. So we marked the filter and taped the oil plug along with marking each tire. He took it in for oil change and tire rotation. Nothing was touched and the tires were never rotated. When he confronted the service guy they just stood there sweating because they knew they were caught. They refunded 2 service visits and he never went back. I think the same dealer ripped him off on alignment too. From new it always pulled to the right and they claimed it was aligned right. After the oil change BS we took it to another dealer and they fixed it easily, alignment was out.

Last edited by CamaroBarb; 04-18-2020 at 03:52 PM.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:25 PM   #10
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
I was thinking of trading mine for a 6th gen after reading this maybe not

Like your car it has been problem free(knock on wood) I have half your mileage at 90,000.

So what if its a second slower in the 1/4 mile

This well built Canadian tank is paid for and may last forever.

BTW congrats yours might be the highest mileage 5th gen.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:12 AM   #11
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I have 154k right now on my 2012 SS. I kinda over paid for it $12,500 and it had 150k. But when I test drove it it drove great. I got 155k now and all I've done is that darn blend ac door, new plugs, all new brakes, front struts, tranny fluid change, and of course an oil change. And when I bought it, it had the 2015 z28 matt black wheels 305/35/20 in the rear and 274/40/20 in front. And those morons at dealer aren't no lie. I had them align my car twice and it still always pulled. So I took it to NTB and the front right was way off camber.

Last edited by morepowerjoe; 10-17-2020 at 07:38 AM.
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:22 AM   #12
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I have 154k right now. I kinda over paid for it $12,500 and it had 150k. But when I test drove it it drove great. I got 155k now and all I've done is that darn blend ac door, new plugs, all new brakes, front struts, tranny fluid change, and of course an oil change. And when I bought it, it had the 2015 z28 matt black wheels 305/35/20 in the rear and 274/40/20 in front. And those morons at dealer aren't no lie. I had them align my car twice and it still always pulled. So I took it to NTB and the front right was way off camber.

Did you reset the fuel F20 fuse? I have 100K L99 and wonder how do I know if the lifters are going? When I change oil I have the Chevy dealer do it using what is recommended by GM for my specific car. I recently installed the cool air filter. It looks like the larger throttle body is easy enough for me to do and what about headers? They also look to be an easy install but there are so many options to know which would be a good choice.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:38 AM   #13
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
Did you reset the fuel F20 fuse? I have 100K L99 and wonder how do I know if the lifters are going? When I change oil I have the Chevy dealer do it using what is recommended by GM for my specific car. I recently installed the cool air filter. It looks like the larger throttle body is easy enough for me to do and what about headers? They also look to be an easy install but there are so many options to know which would be a good choice.
C'mon Buddy, if you can install a CAI and do a set of headers you are physically capable of changing your own oil. This can eliminate stripped drain plugs, cross threaded filters, incorrect oil levels and the dreaded " sorry sir, we made a mistake". Watch for Mobil 1 on sale, grab a Mobil 1 filter and take care o' business. Bet you don't let the dealer touch the Buick!
Old 10-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #14
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
C'mon Buddy, if you can install a CAI and do a set of headers you are physically capable of changing your own oil. This can eliminate stripped drain plugs, cross threaded filters, incorrect oil levels and the dreaded " sorry sir, we made a mistake". Watch for Mobil 1 on sale, grab a Mobil 1 filter and take care o' business. Bet you don't let the dealer touch the Buick!

I would but the Chevy dealer was charging me 50 bucks for the change and a wash and vacuum. How could I not do that? With regard to the Buick dealer there is one not near to me. My son, Little Ricky, to his Camaro to Firestone for an oil change and got the "sorry sir, we made a mistake." Adding to that, "we forgot to put the oil back in and owe you a new engine." Two weeks later Little Ricky had a Camaro with a new 2 year warranty engine. I would do that deal every time if I could.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote