Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
SKYFALL

Drives: 2011 CGM LT
No Rally Stripes or Spoiler for Me It Appears

I went to my local Chevy dealership yesterday as I was interested in seeing what it would take to get rally stripes and a stock standard spoiler for my LT. I was just going in to look at prices and not actually try and do the changes right then.

20 minutes later, I walk out of the dealership feeling very confused. I was told that although I could order black rally stripes for $400 at the dealership, they couldn't install them. The dealership would have to call somebody and bring them in to put the stripes on instead. That would cost an extra $200-$300. I also talked about trying to get the stock spoiler that is standard on all models except the LT and how much that would cost to put on. They told me I could order it at the dealership much like the stripes, but then I would have to take the part to another body shop and have it painted and installed there. The guy behind the counter told me I was probably looking at close to $1500 just to put stripes and a stock spoiler on, and it appears none of this process even happens at the Chevy dealership minus ordering the parts.

Is it normal for dealerships not to be able to do any of this (what I think) standard stuff? I was really blown away at the fact that I have to go somewhere else to get all this done. I was trying to go through the Chevy dealership because I thought it would be easier; even the guy behind the counter told me I should just skip the dealership "middleman" and head straight to a body shop and order all the parts from there. And, honestly, I've now lost interest in doing these additions because it's probably going to be a huge fat hassle that's likely overpriced.
SKYFALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
JMT

Drives: 2013 1LT
Spoiler

I have a 2013 grey spoiler that came stock for sale if interested
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
It is standard that a dealer won't do window tinting or vinyl. They normally have a guy they call in to do all that.

However, the dealership should have an affiliated body shop/collision center that would order, paint, and instal the spoiler for you.

You would be better off ordering genuine GM parts online for a fraction of the cost, and bringing them to the dealer to have them "call" their people to instal.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
baja216

Drives: 2014 2LS
Find a local sign shop that does vinyl. My 2014 is at a sign shop right now getting the stripes installed. I also have a spoiler being delivered monday that I bought off of pfyc.com
baja216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
You could probably save a good amount of money if you find a body shop around you that does good work at reasonable prices, or if you can buy the parts preprinted from rpi or river city, the dealership near me wanted 4 times the cost of a preprinted heritage grill to order and paint one for me.
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Order your stripes from
HERE or HERE

Order your pre-painted CGM spoiler from HERE

Install them yourself, or get your buddy that works at the local body shop to take care of it for you for a good price.

Also HERE's an unpainted ZL1 spoiler that surely would not cost $1500 to paint and install. Your dealer is just blowing smoke up your ass bro.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
You can get standard style spoilers that are painted on EBay for around $150 shipped. They are a blow molded plastic but hold up very well. They are not hard to install or you can take it to a body shop.
You can also order the factory style stripes from several vendors on here and have them installed.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
The tint/vinyl ship I worked for put stripes on camaros for $250. That price seem pretty high.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
dealer looking for what Barnum n Bailey said was born...
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
SKYFALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Order your stripes from
HERE or HERE

Order your pre-painted CGM spoiler from HERE

Install them yourself, or get your buddy that works at the local body shop to take care of it for you for a good price.

Also HERE's an unpainted ZL1 spoiler that surely would not cost $1500 to paint and install. Your dealer is just blowing smoke up your ass bro.
Thanks for the links. However, I'm not looking for the dovetail spoiler, just the stock standard little "blip" that comes on the LS and SS when you order them new.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
SKYFALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I have a 2013 grey spoiler that came stock for sale if interested
Interesting. Do you have any pics?
Old 04-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Also don't forget, if your car does not currently have a spoiler, you will need to buy a new deck lid that is designed to go along with the factory spoiler.

A cheaper alternative is to look in the for sale section. People are all the time posting up deck lids and sometimes lids and spoilers for sale. They wanted an aftermarket spoiler and instead of going though the hassle of fixing their factory lid, ordered one with out the holes.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Also don't forget, if your car does not currently have a spoiler, you will need to buy a new deck lid that is designed to go along with the factory spoiler.

A cheaper alternative is to look in the for sale section. People are all the time posting up deck lids and sometimes lids and spoilers for sale. They wanted an aftermarket spoiler and instead of going though the hassle of fixing their factory lid, ordered one with out the holes.
What are you talking about? The deck lids are the same, you just have to drill the mounting holes for the spoiler. It's easy, I put one on my 2010 in about 30 minutes.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
you just have to drill the mounting holes for the spoiler.
There's more than just "drill the mounting holes". Drilling though a already painted panel will create a weak point in the paint making it the starting point for peeling and chipping and a starting point for rust. Both of these issues need to be addressed before the spoiler is mounted. If you don't plan on keeping the car but just a few years and don't mind passing an issue that you created onto another person, sure go ahead and just drill away. The proper way is to completely strip away the paint in the surrounding area then primer and paint. Since the deck lid on this car is so small, to get the feel and look done correctly I would do the whole outside. That is a lot of time and labor spent doing something that is already available from the factory. Or better yet like I mentioned above, hit the classified section and find a deck lid for sale that is the same color as your car.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011 camaro 1lt, camaro rally stripes, camaro spoiler, dealership