Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #995
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I would love to see how a 1LE with an LS7 compares.

250 lbs lighter, 3.91 vs 3.73 gears.

It think it would shock people how well it worked. I think it would sell well.

that is the car I really wanted about 48k, laps amazing, good accelaration.
And call it a Z/28 option. That's my guess. And the LS7 would be NA.

Leaving the ZL1 with the LSA SC.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #996
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
How about a 427 SC for the ZL1 to compete with the GT500??
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #997
ace32x

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
How about a 427 SC for the ZL1 to compete with the GT500??
i dont think that car would have much competition if it ever hooked lol
Old 12-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #998
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
We need for Chevy to put out a power upgrade package for our ZL1s. I don't like the idea of a Z28 beating my ZL1 around a track....
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #999
trz174

Drives: Used to Drive Blue Camaros
This is gonna be great.

Although the LS7 can be converted to wet sump, the addition of dry sump LS7 to a Camaro makes me wonder why? Sure, a dry sump is cool and the engine has the horsepower to do something awesome (or stupid) on demand. But the dry sump is mainly used to keep the engine alive during high cornering loads seen on a race track with curves (or when doing 1000 laps around a skid pad).

The ZL1 and 1LE have great suspension and tire packages but they didn't need a dry sump to run hard and stay alive under warranty. If the LS7 goes into the Camaro with a dry sump, then it's either a waste of money (overkill that drives up price and problem of fitting the tank/plumbing into the engine bay) or there are plans to do something extraordinary.

Perhaps the master plan is to put a new suspension and tire package under the new car produces the G loads on the track that requires a dry sump to keep the engine alive. Since I'm in purely speculation mode, that same package would have upgraded seats, a more competition oriented seat/shoulder belt package, a swivel mounted beverage holder and lose some weight.

This thing better happen becuase I have to sell my two first gens by 2014 so I can afford it.
trz174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #1000
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I want one of those cars.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #1001
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtrigger View Post
So stock for stock would the Z28 beat the ZL1 around the same circuit? The ZL1 is no slouch with the MRC
I'd be willing to bet an LS7 Camaro could handily keep up to a ZL1 around a track considering it won't have the obvious problem with heat-soak as well as the weight will be lower. It's not like MRC is the end all be all solution for the track, with that being said though they could make in an option like it is on the Z06 (if I recall correctly).
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #1002
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by trz174 View Post
This is gonna be great.

Although the LS7 can be converted to wet sump, the addition of dry sump LS7 to a Camaro makes me wonder why? Sure, a dry sump is cool and the engine has the horsepower to do something awesome (or stupid) on demand. But the dry sump is mainly used to keep the engine alive during high cornering loads seen on a race track with curves (or when doing 1000 laps around a skid pad).

The ZL1 and 1LE have great suspension and tire packages but they didn't need a dry sump to run hard and stay alive under warranty. If the LS7 goes into the Camaro with a dry sump, then it's either a waste of money (overkill that drives up price and problem of fitting the tank/plumbing into the engine bay) or there are plans to do something extraordinary.

Perhaps the master plan is to put a new suspension and tire package under the new car produces the G loads on the track that requires a dry sump to keep the engine alive. Since I'm in purely speculation mode, that same package would have upgraded seats, a more competition oriented seat/shoulder belt package, a swivel mounted beverage holder and lose some weight.

This thing better happen because I have to sell my two first gens by 2014 so I can afford it.
All it takes to kick the steady state turn G load into high gear is a set of slicks and you'll see engine failure. We routinely see steady state high G turns over 1.3 G on street tires. If I were doing the LS7 Z/28 the dry sump tank would be in the trunk near the passenger side tail light area.

Picking up on your idea, how great would it be if there was a factory installed hoop with a removable harness bar.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #1003
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
I would seriously doubt a Z/28 arrives in the Gen5 Camaro. We know they plan a Gen6 and you need something to move the needle. If they just throw the LS7 into the SS, while that would be great, I am not sure you get people who already own a Gen5 to move to the Gen6. On the other hand, you come out with a Gen6 with and additional 50+ HP over the SS, 300 pounds lighter, tighter suspension than the SS, and badge it Z/28...you get people moving. It is all about providing a compelling reason for the AVERAGE Camaro owner to move, not the 10K fanatics like us.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #1004
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by trz174 View Post
This is gonna be great.

This thing better happen becuase I have to sell my two first gens by 2014 so I can afford it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
I would seriously doubt a Z/28 arrives in the Gen5 Camaro. We know they plan a Gen6 and you need something to move the needle. If they just throw the LS7 into the SS, while that would be great, I am not sure you get people who already own a Gen5 to move to the Gen6. On the other hand, you come out with a Gen6 with and additional 50+ HP over the SS, 300 pounds lighter, tighter suspension than the SS, and badge it Z/28...you get people moving. It is all about providing a compelling reason for the AVERAGE Camaro owner to move, not the 10K fanatics like us.
The LS7 Z/28 is going to be limited in volume due to EPA restriction on the number of LS7 motors that can be sold in a complete car from GM. My guess is that the Z/28 will price out the same as a ZL1. T

The lure goes beyond the name. Because of EPA emissions standards getting a 427 with a lumpy cam passed is currently not possible with the technology avilable. The idle is too dirty. That is why you see so many FI performance engines. There may be a direct injection big cam NS 427 down the road, maybe. If you want a 427 N/A from the factory the Z/28 is most likely the last of the breed.

Limited Availability + The Last of the Lumpy Cam Big Blocks + Z/28 name = Premium Price and Low Volume
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #1005
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
It seems GM pulled the info from thier site.

http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vi...-12%20r1.6.pdf

Page 14 is for the Camaro

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #1006
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Limited Availability + The Last of the Lumpy Cam Big Blocks + Z/28 name = Premium Price and Low Volume
So I have nothing to base this on but I would be stunned if the Z/28 was a limited production vehicle. The ZL1 was limited, the COPO was special order only back in the day. The Z/28 was not a limited production vehicle back then and I doubt they would put such a high value brand on a vehicle out of reach for 90% of the buyers who remember the Z of the late 60's, early 70's and would sell there 5Gen to get one. It is about volume in this day and age in Detroit and while we can hope for special editions like the ZL1, I think the Z/28 will be a replacement for the SS in the Gen6 car. Again, total speculation but fun to think about.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #1007
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
So I have nothing to base this on but I would be stunned if the Z/28 was a limited production vehicle. The ZL1 was limited, the COPO was special order only back in the day. The Z/28 was not a limited production vehicle back then and I doubt they would put such a high value brand on a vehicle out of reach for 90% of the buyers who remember the Z of the late 60's, early 70's and would sell there 5Gen to get one. It is about volume in this day and age in Detroit and while we can hope for special editions like the ZL1, I think the Z/28 will be a replacement for the SS in the Gen6 car. Again, total speculation but fun to think about.
It's CAFE standards, bro. They will not mass produce a 427.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #1008
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...here it goes....low volume, special edition without the verbiage.....big ticket.....,
Z-28 tag and all showing up at a late National showing....pricey...exclusive...bad as H E double hockey sticks....LS7 finale' mean go getter, Pedderized,....oh yeah...shit's gettin' real as they say, just sayin....

Tags
2012 camaro hp edition, 2012 camaro hp model, 2012 camaro z-28, 2012 camaro z28, 2012 z-28, 2012 z28, 2013 camaro hp edition, 2013 camaro hp model, 2013 camaro z-28, 2013 camaro z28, camaro hp edition, camaro hp edition model, camaro hp model, camaro z28 hp, camaro z28 hp edition, chevy camaro hp edition, new camaro z-28, new camaro z28, new z-28, new z28