Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-10-2021, 06:25 AM   #29
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Not 25-50+% of ethanol. 10% is a lot different than what you are attempting. Youre playing with fire big time in my eyes. Normal ethanol blended fuel has 10% at most. I only run ethanol free as much as possible honestly.
Yeah. And the pumps around here state up to 10% ethanol content. Although, it's been as high as 13%, 93 octane. Very, very few places have ethanol free. On a side note, there is now a 15% ethanol, 88 octane, pump at a few locations.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:26 AM   #30
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I would not run a mix of E85 without the composition sensor, but from what I've read, which is a good bit, the ECM is capable of compensating for about an 80/20 mix. Anything higher, you will be running lean. Ethanol is higher octane so the timing is not such a big deal, but lean AFRs while pushing the engine is good way to make it go boom. You will also make less power without the sensor and tune.

I run E85 on my mud truck which is an 11:1 427. I put the sensor in, ran the wire to the PCM and had my tuner alter the tune, which was no cost. I also put a Walbro 415lph in the tank and that melted one of the stock fuel pump wires because of the amperage it was drawing. The truck seems to run better on corn and you can't beat $2 a gallon race gas, but thinking you can run hard without adjusting the tune is going to end badly at some point. At a minimum you should have an AFR gauge that has a datalogging capability to know where you are at.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #31
Car Nation Videos
YouTube-Car Nation Videos

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
Quick question. I have a gas station that sells ethanol free 93. Would you guys run that?
Car Nation Videos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #32
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Nation Videos View Post
Quick question. I have a gas station that sells ethanol free 93. Would you guys run that?
I wouldn't pay more for it unless the car sets a lot. If it was a vehicle that hibernates during the winter, I would consider filling up with ethanol free before parking. If I remember to, I will do this with my lawnmower and yard equipment at the end of the season.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #33
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Nation Videos View Post
That’s all I try to run. Because of elevation premium out here is 91 but I run it ethanol free. Sometimes you can’t find it if you're in an unfamiliar area but that’s all I buy locally. My car likes it.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:00 PM   #34
Car Nation Videos

Quote:
That’s all I try to run. Because of elevation premium out here is 91 but I run it ethanol free. Sometimes you can’t find it if you're in an unfamiliar area but that’s all I buy locally. My car likes it.
What differences do you notice between ethanol free vs non ethanol free? And what is your reasoning?

I’m curious bc I’ve never tried it.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:59 PM   #35
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Mainly I started using it because there’s times where my car will sit for several weeks/months and I didn’t want to deal with the issues ethanol sitting long term brings. I noticed that after doing the fuse pull it runs and holds the high octane map a lot better than with the ethanol blended premium. I was having to do the fuse pull about every oil change before. Now it stays in the high octane map with out issue. I’ve never run anything but 91/93 in it depending on where I’m at, and what’s available. Never 1 time have I put anything other than premium in it. It seemed like to me the ethanol was messing with the fuel maps. It also seems to get slightly better fuel mileage as well(1-2 mpgs). Fwiw My car sees less than 3K miles per year the last 2 years. Maybe I’m crazy IDK.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:02 PM   #36
Car Nation Videos

Quote:
Mainly I started using it because there’s times where my car will sit for several weeks/months and I didn’t want to deal with the issues ethanol sitting long term brings. I noticed that after doing the fuse pull it runs and holds the high octane map a lot better than with the ethanol blended premium. I was having to do the fuse pull about every oil change before. Now it stays in the high octane map with out issue. I’ve never run anything but 91/93 in it depending on where I’m at, and what’s available. Never 1 time have I put anything other than premium in it. It seemed like to me the ethanol was messing with the fuel maps. It also seems to get slightly better fuel mileage as well(1-2 mpgs). Fwiw My car sees less than 3K miles per year the last 2 years. Maybe I’m crazy IDK.
Sounds like personal preference

I just double checked the gas station near me and they only offer 89 EFREE. With my car having a 93 tune I was just curious about the why. I appreciate your response.