Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-03-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Close call...cool cop

Well, finally got stopped in the Camaro. I was leaving a friendly poker game and 3 people who I didn't really know wanted a ride to the bar since they had been drinking and I hadn't. The bar was on the way home so I had no problem being a DD.

So I'm driving pretty conservative and everyone likes the car asking me pretty typical questions like, "Does it transform?", "When is it going to talk to us?", "Where is the center seat belt?" and of course "What's the fastest I've been?". Lol...anyways, about 100 yards from the bar, I decide to do a downshift to second and punch her, giving my newly acquainted passengers a nice little thrill ride before turning into the bar.

Just as I slowed down to make the turn, I see blue and red in the rearview mirror. Doh, busted. So I put the hazards on, turnoff the car and turn the dome light on. Then wait.

Now, North Pole police have a reputation of being "thorough" with their duties as police officers. I'm thinking great, way too show off and get a ticket or worse. I was expecting the "book" to be thrown at me.

The officer walks up, asks why I was being stopped. I answered him with complete respect and explained about being a designated driver and basically showing off for the passengers before dropping them off. Asks if I had been drinking , told him no, not a drop. Then the all important question, "Do you know how fast you were going?"
I could give him a logical guess but I wasn't looking at the speedo, so that was the answer I gave him. Tells me to sit tight as he goes back to his car (it was one of their new hemi chargers all black)

Comes back only moments later and asks me one more time, "how much did I have to drink tonight", "nothing Sir" I replied, he said ok, "have a good night and be a little more prudent on the road."

Whew! Very fortunate but kinda of embarrassing. I'm sure he could have written a number of different citations but he might have just heard my exhaust (loud enough to wake the dead) but wasn't able to lock onto my speed in time. I also think a more important call came in and since I wasn't drunk, cut me a break.

So, I wanted to thank the police (yes I said it) and maybe I'll be a little more prudent on road.

Last edited by ColdCamaroSS; 10-03-2010 at 03:38 AM. Reason: SpellIng
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
good job... on being DD and respectful.

You earned a break!

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #3
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
That was the reward for being the designated driver.

It's a good lesson for others too. If you're respectful and honest, you're more likely to get a break.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:06 AM   #4
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I don't understand why anybody would be anything but respectful when pulled over by a LEO. I'm sure all of us have worked a job at some point that involved working with a customer - and I'm sure all of us have had to work with a customer who was disrespectful. I know when it happens to me it puts me in a grumpy mood - why would you expect any different from an LEO?
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:17 AM   #5
ColdCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
I don't understand why anybody would be anything but respectful when pulled over by a LEO. I'm sure all of us have worked a job at some point that involved working with a customer - and I'm sure all of us have had to work with a customer who was disrespectful. I know when it happens to me it puts me in a grumpy mood - why would you expect any different from an LEO?
- X
Agree but sometimes it isn't the grumpy customer, it's the unprofessional employee (note: I've never had an unprofessional encounter with a LEO)
Old 10-03-2010, 04:23 AM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I visited North Pole AK once... (In freakin February) brrrrrrrr...

He obviously recognized an honest mistake and saw the situation was safe to let go... Kudos to you...

But I'm quite sure that mistake will happen again...:emoticon7:
Old 10-03-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post
Agree but sometimes it isn't the grumpy customer, it's the unprofessional employee (note: I've never had an unprofessional encounter with a LEO)
True, but even so - being disrespectful to an LEO with an unprofessional attutude is just going to put you in a worse position than being disrespectful to an LEO with a professional attitude.
- X

Old 10-03-2010, 04:40 AM   #8
ColdCamaroSS

Quote:
True, but even so - being disrespectful to an LEO with an unprofessional attutude is just going to put you in a worse position than being disrespectful to an LEO with a professional attitude.
- X
No doubt about this.lol I was just trying to increase the dominant impression about being pulled over. It would be unwise to act like a jerk when your caught red handed commiting a potentially serious violation. As you and I agree...not recommended. Lol
Old 10-03-2010, 04:43 AM   #9
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post
No doubt about this.lol I was just trying to increase the dominant impression about being pulled over. It would be unwise to act like a jerk when your caught red handed commiting a potentially serious violation. As you and I agree...not recommended. Lol
Haha. True, true. I once got pulled over for 43 in a 25 (unmarked backroad, technically a 25... plus, it had nice curves! Ok, I was being stupid) and the officer asked me why I was going so fast.

I just gave it to him straight - I didn't see anybody around so I thought I'd play stupid for a while and stretch my legs a bit. He said he appreciated the honesty and wrote me a ticket for 5 over instead of 18.
- X

P.S. - this was back when I had the IROC.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #10
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Yup honesty and being respectful goes a long way... My guess is that, along with the fact that you were the DD, went a long way on getting the break!!

So a BIG to you!
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
RSokie
Proud owner of Litho #195

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Good 4 you being the DD
RSokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
tdogg169

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
I guess being the DD you can get a good deal every now and then.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #13
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
- X
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
Mr.Stang

Drives: 2011 Mustang
Close call!

But very responsible of you for being the DD